Dreamcast VGA, what TV/monitor?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dreamcast VGA, what TV/monitor?

Okay, spent a few quid getting all the bits needed to run Dreamcast games looking all sexylike, only to discover that it isn't compatable with my 50" Sony TV.

Or my PC monitor (I get some "out of range" message).

Before I cry, am I doing anything wrong? I get the boot sequence on my monitor, but as soon as it tries to load a game, it goes blank.

What TV/monitor are you using for Dreamcast VGA goodness?

Some DC games wont boot with the VGA box. You getting the error on all your games?

Comment

Check the back of the game you're playing to see if it's VGA compatable.

Even the UK PAL ones listed if they were.

Comment

Originally posted by neoboy259 View Post
        Some DC games wont boot with the VGA box. You getting the error on all your games?
        I'm getting it trying to boot everything. DC-X, PAL games, NTSC games etc etc.

Comment

There should be a switch on the box, I think it is to change between the VGA and other outputs. Did you try flicking it?

Comment

Originally posted by chaoticjelly View Post
            There should be a switch on the box, I think it is to change between the VGA and other outputs. Did you try flicking it?
            Yeah, tried connecting via composite to a TV and VGA to a monitor, got a picture on the TV, flicked it across and got nothing on the monitor.

Comment

Sounds like you've got a dud VGA box mate. I also use the official Sega one. The signal out of range message only appears when the DC is running none VGA compatible software. The actual DC boot up and bios screens should work fine at all times.

The DC isn't moded is it? That could be a problem but if not it's your VGA box or Sony and their dumb no conforming standards on your monitor.

Best thing to do is try the VGA box on another monitor.

Yakumo

Comment

Well, I have a US Dreamcast that doesn't send out an RGB signal... fun. At least the unofficial VGA box I got worked fine. Where can one find official ones?

Comment

Originally posted by Yakumo View Post
                  Sounds like you've got a dud VGA box mate. I also use the official Sega one. The signal out of range message only appears when the DC is running none VGA compatible software. The actual DC boot up and bios screens should work fine at all times.

The DC isn't moded is it? That could be a problem but if not it's your VGA box or Sony and their dumb no conforming standards on your monitor.

Best thing to do is try the VGA box on another monitor.

Yakumo
                  I tried the VGA box on my 50" Sony TV (which I have since read doesn't accept the signal at all) and my PC monitor, neither of which seem to let me load ANY discs at all. The boot up and bios screens are there though.

Due to my lack of software that I have for my Dreamcast that wouldn't require a bootdisc, can anyone confirm if the DC-X disc boots up in VGA or not, because I can't get this to load in VGA either.

Comment

DC-X will boot in VGA IIRC.

Comment

If it doesn't even appear on the PC monitor, then it's surely the VGA box that's knackered.

I'm surprised you say the 50" Sony doesn't support it, are you sure? The Sony's are among the best as far as VGA support goes. It should surely accept the 640x480 that the Dreamcast outputs.

Comment

Originally posted by Shakey_Jake33 View Post
                        If it doesn't even appear on the PC monitor, then it's surely the VGA box that's knackered.

I'm surprised you say the 50" Sony doesn't support it, are you sure? The Sony's are among the best as far as VGA support goes. It should surely accept the 640x480 that the Dreamcast outputs.
                        I can't even get the boot sequence to appear on the Sony. It's a 50E2010 LCD Projection TV. I tried doing a little research and found someone else on avforums having a similar problem a couple of years ago, it didn't say if he managed to fix it though.

I thought maybe it was the VGA box that didn't work (especially since I can't get the DC-X disc to boot on my PC monitor), but I can get the boot and bios on it.

I'm trying an old CRT monitor tonight that I picked up uber cheap, i'm hoping this will fix it (since the box says it accepts the frequency that the LCD monitor wouldn't).

Comment

If worst comes to the worst, I know some people at HDTVarcade use VGA->Component transcoders. Quality loss should be minimal.

Comment

Success.

The CRT monitor displays everything perfectly. Picture is just beyond what I ever imagined the Dreamcast to be capable of and even the boot and bios look so much better than they did on the LCD monitor.

Old technology FTW. Just wish it was bit bigger than 17" though. Might have to try and get a 22" one.

Comment

See, like I said. Sony and their "if it's not ours then it won't work" attitude. I use the DC on a Mitsubishi 19 inch TFT with fantastic results

Yakumo

Comment

Working...
                              X