Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Castle of Illusion

What a great game!
    After being burgled last week I have been severely limited in my choice of games. The only console that was easy to connect to my old portable was the megadrive. After playing a few shoot em ups that haven't aged well I found this game lurking in a draw. Man, it's good. Really took me me back to my youth, such great animation, level design and music. I really enjoyed playing it for the first time in nearly 15 years. In my opinion it is better than Sonic and the flip screen bits in the the second level made me smile and think of Super Mario Galaxy.

It's great fun, but it was too easy to believe really. I think I completed it on my first go - if not, then it was second. A great game indeed, but I still think Sonic was a better game - even if CoI kicked its butt graphically ...

Comment

Yeah brill we game like. It's a very relaxing platformer to play compared to other games. Quackshot was good aswell but Illusion just about stand's out more between the two. Not sure if it's better than Sonic though myself but I wouldn't say it's defo not or anything.

Are you the burgled guy I got the ninja 5 0 box/manual of on rllmuk?

Comment

No I am not the burgled guy from rllmuk.

The reason I like it better than sonic is that it never tries to live up to something it can't deliver. I remember all the pre-sonic hype and the talk about speed and in the end only two of the games levels let you really play at full pelt.
        I have just played a quick game of sonic tonight and, as before found Marble Zone quite tedious.

Comment

Fair point - Marble Zone sucks. The only good bit about it is the highly satisfying feeling of skipping past huge chunks of it by using the secret passages.

I thought Quackshot was a pile of shiat, personally .. but each to their own!

Comment

If you like it, try Mickey's Wild Adventure (Mickey Mania) on the PS1. It also has great animation and the classic B&W Steamboat Willy level.

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

Comment

COI is a great game, as is the master system version, top tier.

Comment

I actually prefered the master system version. Back then Disney had a few good platformers. I loved Quackshot on the megadrive, and although it was easy I also enjoyed The Lucky Dime Caper on the Master System.

Comment

It has some excellent tune-age

Comment

when we got our megadrive way back when, we bought sonic and coi at the same time (both import, i think sonic had just come out). i wouldn't really compare the two, but i really like playing coi on my psp nowadays. i must be really crap though, cos i die loads!

and the music is sublime

Comment

I think the Master System had the upper hand in the playability stakes, but both versions were excellent. Quackshot was quite fun too. takes me back to the days when I would play a game through to completion before buying another..

Comment

I thought the MS version of COI was far better than the MD version. The MD version seemed to be a bit of a technical showcase for the system.
                        Quackshot was drivel.

Comment

COI is very different to Sonic, I don't think it's fair to compare the two.

Both games delivered on their promises. COI is everything you could ever desire from a Disney experience. Sonic has it's own style, fast gameplay, and really stood-out as something distinct.

I bought both games together, and each blew-me-away. COI has a magical vibe to it, with detailed visuals, and easy going gameplay. Sonic is like a supercharged arcade experience, with bold brash visuals, and hypnotic sound.

When I think back to that time, I have fond memories of both titles. They really showed what the MD could do, and have gone down as two of the best games ever made.

Comment

Originally posted by CMcK View Post
                            I thought the MS version of COI was far better than the MD version. The MD version seemed to be a bit of a technical showcase for the system.
                            The MS version of the game was very playable but the MD version had the graphics. Come on, this was a brilliant MD game! But easy as feckers...

Originally posted by CMcK View Post
                            Quackshot was drivel.
                            Come, come now! Yeah, it was a bit rank compared to Castle Of Illusion, but it wasn't that bad. I must admit, though, that those lush visuals could have benefited a better game...

Comment

I don't think there's much between Quackshot and COL to be honest.

COL would get the vote but to say you like COL and hate Quackshot seems sort of wrong.

Comment

Working...
                              X