Building a Retro Corner, need advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Building a Retro Corner, need advice

Hey peeps. The time as come where I?m finally getting settled into the house i bought last September and we can use the back-bedroom for something other than dumping DIY kit in. So of course standard to any gaming nerds first house there is going to have to be a little retro corner. The back bedroom is gonna be primarily for the missus to read in and get out of the way when i'm HD gaming on current gen consoles in the living room so I can't overwhelm the place with crap. Also I'm not exactly rolling in the cash to the goal is to be cheap and useful for when i get that retro hunger. I love my gun games in particular, they can't be beat

Last night i picked me up a good CRT TV for next to nothing, not 4:3 but it's a good size and has freeview in case the GF wants to watch stuff. In case you're interested it's a Sony KD-28DX50U.

So, here's what I have at the moment, not a great collection, made up of my original stuff (DC) stuff i got dirt cheap (Mega Drive) and stuff I got free (SNES & Jag)

* PAL UK Dreamcast
    * PAL UK Mega Drive 1 + Mega CD1 + 32x
    * PAL UK Original Black Xbox 1 (bit rough around the edges)
    * PAL UK Crystal Xbox 1
    * PAL UK Atari Jaguar (hey i got it free!)
    * PAL UK SNES (no cables and battered with fag burns)
    * US Virtual Boy

Ideas I've had for expansion:
    * PS2 for Time Crisis 2 and other
    * Saturn for Virtua Cop 1 & 2
    * Replacing the Mega Drive rig with a Jap one cos i had a jap one in my youth and i just love that purple
    * Some form of N64, I?d love to get a 64DD as I lusted over them back in the day but buying one could be prohibitively expensive
    * A modded SNES of some sorts
    * Chipping the black Xbox to act as a media centre to stream stuff off the network

I could do with some general advice and suggestions on what I can do with this project of course bearing in mind I don't want to be spending the big bucks.

One question in particular what do you guys use for SCART switching? I'm gonna have a heck of a lot of stuff to go into 2 SCART plugs (only one of which is RGB).

For a start as you have current gen stuff I'd be asking myself "do I HONESTLY think I will play any of those retro consoles?"

All of them? I doubt it.

I'd probably go for the DC via VGA with your HD screen and chip that Xbox via RGB for emulator heaven.

Comment

Don't bother chipping the 'box. These days it's far easier to softmod. Get yourself a copy of James Bond: Agent Under Fire (must be the original release, not the re-release) and an Action Replay (or other mem. card that can be connected to a PC) and you're all set. The latest mod will install Unleash-X on any version Xbox. You can even soft-mod a unit and replace the drive - I have successfully done it for a friend and put a 250gb drive in his machine.

Problem is with a modded 'box, you might end up like me - selling most of your collection and playing it all on the 'box instead. I miss playing Garou: MotW and MS3 with original AES sticks but mind you, my gaming collection takes up bugger all space these days.

Comment

Originally posted by Dirty Sanchez View Post
        For a start as you have current gen stuff I'd be asking myself "do I HONESTLY think I will play any of those retro consoles?"

All of them? I doubt it.
        I admit, I probably won't play most of them hardly at all. But the same could be said for most people who collect retro consoles. My main motivation was to setup for gun games which can't be played on the LCD downstairs and also as a nice display piece.

I'll potentially MAME the xbox as I have an X-Arcade ready to plug into it.

Comment

If you want to take it easy to start with and take into consideration that you might not play all of them then choose between these consoles.
          (Your X-box for your media centre - you want to keep this don't you)

PS2 vs dreamcast - choose

saturn vs 64 - choose

snes vs megadrive - choose

You could also scrap the add on consoles.

Then when you play on them 3 retro consoles and you feel you could play more then add another. Obviously it depend's on how many games you buy for these consoles.

Also if you really like old consoles over emulaters make sure you do your research before you buy the console. like imports,games. mod's
          etc

This is just another option for you to look at really.

Comment

Little? You'll be buying more console than I already own!

Originally posted by Pilotwings View Post
            saturn vs 64 - choose
            I don't think he should split those as, for example, the SNES has RPG's by the bucket load and the Mega Drive is home to some of the best Arcade games of that era.

Comment

I'm not really an RPG fan to be honest, my main emphasis will be on the nice tight short game experiences. Hence my passion for gun games and certain MD titles. Paying for stuff on XBLA can be a real drain and I personally really dislike the Virtual Console for being carbon copies of the original carts but still hitting the wallet a bit too hard.

PS. there are many people on this forum with simular 'retro' setups along with their current gen stuff. Was really targetting them for the advice, not to be crusified for wanting to put together a collection.
              Last edited by NecronomiconUK; 22-02-2008, 13:08.

Comment

saturn vs 64 - choose

You've given me a new idea for a poll.

Comment

I have a set up with several consoles in my games room. I have a samsung crt on a stand which also houses my 360/wii (depending what one is in the lounge at the time), my sky box and my slim PS2.
                  I then have a 6 shelve Ikea unit which has my neo geo aes, dremacast, snes and xbox set up along with joysticks and other gubbins. I have a small 15" lcd moniter which I sometimes use for dreamcast and xbox. I have a RGB scart switcher which can be bought for around ?10 from asda. It has space for 5 connections, and then I have another connected to the lcd with space for 4, so that lets me connect absolutly everything if I want.
                  As far as keeping your consoles, keep what you like and don't let anyone tell you otherwise! All my consoles get decent play. The only one that I'm getting rid of is my megadrive which I havn't played or had set up for over a year.

Comment

Regarding the SCART switcher... are the cheapy jobbies from asda and the like sufficient for RGB? I remeber having one a while back and it used to have dreadful interference.
                    Last edited by NecronomiconUK; 22-02-2008, 13:32.

Comment

Originally posted by NecronomiconUK View Post
                      Regarding the SCART switcher... are the cheapy jobbies from asda and the like sufficient for RGB? I remeber having one a while back and it used to have dreadful interference.
                      I don't have a gripe with mine to be honest. The dreamcast in particular looks amazing thorugh it. I will say I'm not uber anal when it comes to my set up, but it's fine for my needs. I will have a look when I go home and tell you what brand it is (I bought mine from B&Q, but my local asda now stocks them). It has a seperate push in switch which means you can turn on and off the RGB if you don't have it on all your connections.
                      Last edited by Skull Commander; 22-02-2008, 13:48.

Comment

No hauling you up from me.

You stated that you didn't want to spend much cash so I thought basing as much around the XBox and the frankly excellent emulators would ease your burden and give you an easy time connecting to your TV.

Comment

Originally posted by Dirty Sanchez View Post
                          No hauling you up from me.

You stated that you didn't want to spend much cash so I thought basing as much around the XBox and the frankly excellent emulators would ease your burden and give you an easy time connecting to your TV.
                          I used to be big into my emulators but now I have some space I'd like something I can be proud of. Nothing beats the click of a Mega Drive case, jamming a cartridge into the slot and playing using the original controller. Sad maybe but I kinda would like to pick up all of the failed consoles from the mid 90s that i couldnt afford at the time, 3DO, CDI and so forth. I know most of the games sucked donkey balls but some of the systems looked soo cool (in a mid 90s kinda way)

EDIT: With regard to not wanting to spend too much I was refering to not being bothered about mint condition boxed kit or super rare expensive stuff like AES or Treasure shooters.
                          Last edited by NecronomiconUK; 22-02-2008, 13:45.

Comment

3DO in the trade thread at the mo if you hadn't already seen it.

Opps it's boxed etc so not your cup of tea then.

Comment

http://ntsc-uk.domino.org/showthread.php?t=84440

3DO in the trade thread at the mo if you hadn't already seen it.
                              Yeah, i saw, mucho want... bit too much mahoney for me at the moment though :-(

Comment

Working...
                              X