Neo Geo AES/ MVS emulator for DS!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Neo Geo AES/ MVS emulator for DS!

I don't condone piracy, but I just had to post this because it is landmark in DS emulation, and incredible work of optimization.

Ben Ingrab, the leetest hacker in DS homebrew scene has dropped the bomb today. This bomb is NeoDS, rather well working NeoGeo AES / MVS emulator for Nintendo DS. Emulator works surprisingly well, with games like Garou: the Mark of the Wolves, and Metal Slug 3 being playable with only tiny slowdowns. There is of course more than few bugs, and for example, Metal Slug crashes when you try to throw grenades. Current feature list:

Currently emulated

* M68000 cpu (cyclone)
    * Z80 cpu (DrZ80)
    * All forms of NeoGeo protection/encryption
    * Graphics
    * ADPCM audio
    * PSG audio

Not emulated

* FM audio
    * Raster effects
    * Multiplayer
    * Some timings are not that accurate

Kof2002 on NeoDS
    Metal Slug
    Release page @ DCemulation.co.uk

Congrats for Ben.
    Last edited by elkatas; 01-05-2008, 05:22.

Bloody hell!!! And I thought that jEnesisDS was impressive!!

Comment

Have just been messing around with this a bit.

Got KOF94, Aero Fighters 2, Money Puzzle Exchanger all working so far.
      (Only Aero Fighters 2 has a problem with sound cutting off)

Scaling is a bit weird, viewing is most comfortable in 'normal mode' but cuts off a small sections around the screen. 'Scaled mode' fits into the DS screen but it's a bit more difficult to look at smaller sprites.

One problem is the button layout is wrong and there doesn't seem to be a way to config it (or maybe i'm not looking hard enough to find out how to change it).
      It's defaulted as:

D, C
      B, A

which is pretty much the NeoGeo CD pad layout but the wrong way around...Not good for KOF, but not so bad for other non fighting games i suppose.

But...it is still very impressive for what it is, never would've thought it was possible to emulate Neo on a DS.

my recording of kof 94:

Comment

I've tried this also.

SNK vs Capcom Chaos works wonderfully on it, apart from the fact that the game tends to run eeeeeeever so slightly less than full speed. It's smooth enough and the music plays the full speed, but the game itself slows down a lot.

Very, very good for a first release though and a technical achievement for the DS no doubt.

Comment

Finally got this working, using the BIOS-1 method to convert the ROMs. Got KOF'95 (personal franchise fave) and The Last Blade working, and I'm highly impressed. Easily the best emulator on the DS by country miles.

Hopefully, this will make the programmers of other homebrew DS emulators (*cough*SNEmulDS*cough*) pull their fingers out of their proverbials and raise their games, because this has upped the ante considerably.

Portable The Last Blade FTW!!
          Last edited by Nu-Eclipse; 03-05-2008, 08:21.

Comment

Yeah, there're are quite a few dead projects on the DS, like Alekmaul's DSMasterGear+, but thankfully we have the talented Lordus who has just released a beta SMS emulator that p*sses on DSMG+.

Hopefully Lordus might apply his talent to a SNES emulator next!

Comment

Working...
            X