Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Website with REALLY obscure SFC games

I stumbled across this website:
    SNES reviews Super Nintendo Sega Saturn retro video games game review website fansite

And it seems to be one of the best I've ever seen, with lots of screens and A LOT of obscure game coverage.

I haven't seen it mentioned anywhere else so thought I'd post about it.

I originally found it via Hardcore Gaming 101's forum board, where the site owner had a 13 page forum topic on obscure SNES games, with probably over a hundred unique screengrabs. Maybe even two hundred.

Perhaps we should have a best of retro sites sticky in this forum. That site is very interesting indeed.

Comment

Yes, a sticky is an excellent idea.

EDIT:
      To roll the ball further, here's a really interesting retro article on "things" which were ahead of their time, but didn't catch on until the idea was revisited later (eg: Microvision and Gameboy).

Some obvious ones, but also some really obscure ones.
      Last edited by Sketcz; 04-05-2008, 11:35.

Comment

Originally posted by Szczepaniak View Post
        SNES reviews Super Nintendo Sega Saturn retro video games game review website fansite

And it seems to be one of the best I've ever seen, with lots of screens and A LOT of obscure game coverage.
        Knew about that site already, but didn't realize it was still being updated.
        He has some great stuff in the magazine section.

Some of my favourites are:

http://www.retromags.com/

Comment

Yes, a sticky is an excellent idea.

EDIT:
          To roll the ball further, here's a really interesting retro article on "things" which were ahead of their time, but didn't catch on until the idea was revisited later (eg: Microvision and Gameboy).

Some obvious ones, but also some really obscure ones.
          Ah man, I'm so glad you linked that - I've been thinking about Alpha Waves for AAAAAAGES but couldn't remember the title! I remember having it on the Amiga and it came in a big gold box full of papers. I think the title implied that playing it did something or other to your brain but I think it was all pseudo-science mumbo-jumbo. TBH I think most of the paper was to do with some horribly complex copy protection.

Comment

Wow, a lot of games that even Super Play didn't mention or review. Great find.

Comment

A fantastic link John. As a SFC fanatic - that website is a dream come true.

In the early-mid 90's few games matched the fun that Bomberman and Mario Kart provided

Ever wonder what if someone combined the two?
              BATTLE CROSS

I was trying to remember the name of this game the other day. One of the best of the more obscure SFC titles.
              Last edited by Leon Retro; 04-05-2008, 20:12.

Comment

I like http://www.retrogamer.it/

its in italian but still really nice to browse Imo

Comment

Originally posted by meppi View Post
                  Knew about that site already, but didn't realize it was still being updated.
                  He has some great stuff in the magazine section.

Some of my favourites are:

http://www.retromags.com/
                  I like the Italian website, but give a bit of an explanation about why each website is cool, it took a while going through each one (oh, and HG101 is indeed awesome).

Comment

REALLY obscure my ***!!!

Where are Asameshi Mae Nyanko, Daisuke Bike and Heisei Shin Onigashima?

Comment

Originally posted by Superfamifreak View Post
                      REALLY obscure my ***!!!
                      Indeed. A quick look through a 1990's CVG etc will bring up most of those in the Shekana stock list adverts.
                      Kept you waiting, huh?

Comment

Yeah, nice little site but it's all pretty standard issue - not exactly uncovering any hidden gems.

Comment

The guy who runs it tried to register on NTSC-uk, but had trouble, so PMd via another forum, asking me to post the following:

Hey this is Steve, webmaster of RVG, communicating through szczepaniak. Fami, I did write about "Rider's Spirits" though I have yet to convert the take to RVG.

As for those saying these games aren't really obscure, well, that is your opinion and it depends on how well-versed you are as a Super Famicom player. Like the one poster said, many of the games were never mentioned by Super Play nor EGM, who looked at plenty of obscure SFC titles in their time. Obscure is defined by the person's point of view. Personally, I don't think Rider's Spirits is as obscure as, say, Super Mad Champ or Super Tekkyu Fight!! Games in which I have never seen anyone talk about on the internet, and certainly not extensive. Nevertheless..

More SFC write-up's WILL be on the way this summer. I still have a box I have yet to play. Plus a couple from the board topic I need to convert as well (e.g. Rider's Spirits)

Also, yes, the site is still being updated for those who believe it stopped on Halloween 2007.

Please adjust your bookmarks:

Thanks for the compliments everyone. I love reviewing games, the more obscure the better I enjoy it. Keep checking in, you never know what the next update may bring...

Comment

Working...
                          X