16-bit: The Peoples Choice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

16-bit: The Peoples Choice

I looked back at my "Top5 Most Played Games" thread ... and also counted the votes in my "Desert Island Consoles" thread.

16-bit WINS!

Here is the final result of the "Top5 Most Played Games"

64-bit did get a few votes - and as you can see, GoldenEye is the "Most Played" game ever. The other games are all 16-bit classics

As a big fan of the 16-bit generation - I'm very happy with the results. GoldenEye is also one of my favourite 3D games - which I played for years, so I can't argue with its no1 posistion.

What does everyone else feel about the results?
    Last edited by Leon Retro; 03-06-2008, 18:17.

Good stuff top 3 are probably my most played games. Actually mario kart 64 probably edges out the snes mario kart, but I still played that one bloody loads.

Comment

What does everyone else feel about the results?
      That I'm going to come over your house and drill some 32bit goodness into that skull of yours , and then own your ass on Sensi for some 16bit love

32bit is where its at

Comment

Originally posted by Team Andromeda View Post
        That I'm going to come over your house and drill some 32bit goodness into that skull of yours , and then own your ass on Sensi for some 16bit love

32bit is where its at
        I have a titanium skull.

Seriously... a good session with all the best Saturn shooters - and BombermanSS, is enough to make me feel some love for 32-bit.

You'd probably would beat me at Sensi; I'm crap at it. ISSDeluxe, is my game.

You have to accept - 16-bit rules!

Comment

Originally posted by Leon Ahoy! View Post

You have to accept - 16-bit rules!

NEVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!

If it takes me a life time I?ll crack that skull

Comment

NEVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!

If it takes me a life time I?ll crack that skull
            You'll waste a lot of money on hammers.

Just buy a Paul McKenna book - and hypnotise me. " 32bit rules, 32-bit rules! "

Comment

SF2 and SMK are definitely my most-played games. I did give Sensi a fair workout too. Loving the results!

Comment

You'll waste a lot of money on hammers.

Just buy a Paul McKenna book - and hypnotise me. " 32bit rules, 32-bit rules! "
                Nope, to quote one of my fav 16bit Sports games ..

"I'm going to crush you skull"

Nothing beats 32bit . Mind you I would love to hook up for a game of Sensi , Hands down the best football game ever made , and you will believe that too, after I've finished with you

Comment

I think this is more a testament to how crappy the 16-Bit era was than it being a 'Golden Age'. Those games were played so much partly because they're great games but mainly because there wasn't much else of note to play on those consoles. Since then we've had a classic almost every other month. There's just too much to play to put in those kind of hours these days.

I remember being about 12/13 (1998)... I bought Final Fantasy VII, how great was that game? I never even got off the first disc because of my 'World Cup '98' addiction. By the time that ended I'd picked up Gran Turismo, Tekken 3, Resident Evil 2, Fifa 99, and Silent Hill. All of which were released in a 9 month period if I recall correctly? Metal Gear Solid had also just come out then but I didn't actually buy that until later....

Looking back I probably put in more hours on that World Cup game than I've put into the combined catalogue of any console since. Shame no-one remembers it though...

Edit: I never did get back to Final Fantasy VII
                  Last edited by 12-51-00; 03-06-2008, 21:46.

Comment

Don't worry, you didn't miss much

I agree in a way since I think a lot of the classic 16-but games are and will remain timeless. Games like Super Mario World, Link to the Past and Super Metroid are like the Platonic ideals of videogaming. There's nothing you could do to improve them IMHO. Things like making them 3D may make them different but not necessarily better. This all changed when 3D became the standard though - the technology was primitive and game designers were inexperienced so even those games which shone at the time still suffer from technical limitations or the odd spot of what would by today's standards be considered poor design and/or implementation.

Comment

Nope, to quote one of my fav 16bit Sports games ..

"I'm going to crush you skull"

Nothing beats 32bit . Mind you I would love to hook up for a game of Sensi , Hands down the best football game ever made , and you will believe that too, after I've finished with you

You are scaring me T.A .... I'll have nightmares because of you

Originally posted by 12-51-00 View Post
                      I think this is more a testament to how crappy the 16-Bit era was than it being a 'Golden Age'. Those games were played so much partly because they're great games but mainly because there wasn't much else of note to play on those consoles. Since then we've had a classic almost every other month. There's just too much to play to put in those kind of hours these days.

I remember being about 12/13 (1998)... I bought Final Fantasy VII, how great was that game? I never even got off the first disc because of my 'World Cup '98' addiction. By the time that ended I'd picked up Gran Turismo, Tekken 3, Resident Evil 2, Fifa 99, and Silent Hill. All of which were released in a 9 month period if I recall correctly? Metal Gear Solid had also just come out then but I didn't actually buy that until later....

Looking back I probably put in more hours on that World Cup game than I've put into the combined catalogue of any console since. Shame no-one remembers it though...

You are sooooo wrong. 16-bit was a "Golden Age" ... because the best games from that era were, and still are, immensely playable.

If people had voted 8-bit computer games - then you may have a point, that people played most of them a lot, because they didn't have anything else around, but 16-bit really was a gameplay revolution.

Gran Turismo, Tekken 3, Resident Evil 2, Fifa 99, and Silent Hill

All those, plus Final Fantasy7, are games I dislike, except for Tekken3, which is o.k, but never gave me the thrills I got from SF2.

You love a lot of 3D console games. That's fine with me. I can't think of many 32-bit era 3D games, that I still want to play, though.

It's way too harsh to call 16-bit games "Crappy" ... and say that people only played them because they had nothing better to do.

If you want easy to play, fun experiences, the 16-bit era had plenty of them. 32-bit delivered games like Silent Hill, Metal Gear Solid, Resident Evil. Just because they are more cinematic - and immersive, doesn't mean they're any more fun than relatively simple 2D games.

Give me Mario Kart/StreetFighter2 over Silent Hill/FFVII/Resident Evil. As the results show, a lot of people feel the same.

To me, if you play a game a lot, it's because it's great. If you play a bad game a lot, then you're either 5-years-old, or seriously mentally disturbed.

Comment

Since then we've had a classic almost every other month.
                        That seems like a highly dubious claim. I've had a 360 for sometime now and played maybe 5 or 6 games and really can't find much else that looks interesting. I usually wait until a new console gets a killer app before I bother buying one, I waited until the Halo 3 release for 360 which was inevitably dissapointing, the clock is still ticking on ps3 and wii.

The 16 bit era is looking more and more appealing.

Comment

I suspect the popularity of the 16bit era on this forum has much to do with the average age of members.

Comment

Since then we've had a classic almost every other month.
                            Well maybe not, I didn't own anything gaming related between 2002 and 2006 so I can't say that but 1998-2002 we really did. Whether you disagree or not is beside the point. All are still regarded highly by critics, all sold millions of copies, and all spawned franchises that remain the benchmarks for their respective genres to this day.

If people had voted 8-bit computer games - then you may have a point, that people played most of them a lot, because they didn't have anything else around, but 16-bit really was a gameplay revolution.
                            Actually I disagree, the Famicom is my favorite console. The games are fun, and great in short little bursts, for me Famicom games are what games should be. Plus most of the great SNES games (Zelda, Mario, Final Fantasy...) are sequels to Famicom games anyway. I would say 8-Bit was the real revolution, 16-bit was just another evolution.

... and say that people only played them because they had nothing better to do.
                            I didn't say that, my point was people played those games more because there weren't as many 'great' games back then. Even if you play them retrospectively that's just out of personal preference, to say otherwise is misguided and pretentious. I have no problem with people playing 16-Bit games, just don't make out 16-Bit is better or it was some kind of golden age, because it really wasn't.

Originally posted by Randicoot View Post
                            I suspect the popularity of the 16bit era on this forum has much to do with the average age of members.
                            Nail; Head; Hello
                            Last edited by 12-51-00; 04-06-2008, 02:26.

Comment

You should :P

Comment

Working...
                              X