Looking for advice on modding a Multi-Mega

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Looking for advice on modding a Multi-Mega

After widening the slot on my Multi-Mega I'm now looking to modify it to run in 60hz. I've had a butchers inside when I filed down the cartridge slot, and despite hearing horror stories over how difficult it is to mod it didn't look scary at all. I used to repair DLP projectors in a previous job, and I've modded modern consoles before so this looks well within my capability.

I have a couple of butt-ugly toggle switches lying around but I really don't want to ruin the aesthetics of my console. One option I've been thinking of is a three-way slider, switching between English 50hz, English 60hz and Japanese 60hz. I'm guessing that a double pole, double tracked jobbie should do the trick. The option I'm liking the best, though, is having just a small locking push-button switch poking through the hole on the back of the unit. Okay, so it'll be simply a 50hz/60hz switch meaning that some Japanese games won't work, but I'm not looking to collect a complete Jp collection. Hopefully I'll be able to get the US/PAL versions of any Jp games which won't work. Speaking of which, are there any essential and exclusive Jp games that won't work on an English machine?

Hmmm... I've just been taking a gander at a guide here:

...and it says something about using one switch to control both frequency and language. Can games be switched between 50hz and 60hz during operation?

Comment

Bollocks... the only locking push switches I can find are on/off switches. I take it that switches need to be double tracked for a 60Hz mod?
      Last edited by samanosuke; 17-07-2008, 14:00.

Comment

chaoticjelly will inevitably know - I'd wait to see what he says!

Comment

I've just broken the 50hz jumper and soldered across the 60hz jumper for a temporary fix until I can find a suitable solution. Bare Knuckle 2 no longer works (strange that it worked in 50hz/English mode but not 60hz/English mode). Oh well, Final Fight is looking lovely so that'll have to do instead. All Jp FMV games I've played so far have worked fine although I did try Cobra Command (PAL) and that worked fine too! The only thing is I have to use the Mega Cart bios as the Mega-CD won't normally boot up with the machine in 60hz mode but it'll do for now.

Comment

Hey.

I think this is a better solution:

Le Multimega est vraiment une belle machine... Et tout comme les autres consoles de Sega, elle dispose en interne de tout ce qu'il faut pour pouvoir passer les protections de région... Reste à savoir si vous aurez le courrage et le doigté pour mettre en place une telle bidouille.

It's in French, but is pretty easy to understand if you translate it using google language tools. Uses an ON-(OFF)-ON switch.

Comment

That's a bloody ugly solution! Well I haven't had any luck finding a suitable latching push-button so I'll go with a slider, probably on the back of the case if I can find the room.

Chaoticjelly, what happens when there are no jumpers connected?

Comment

Working...
              X