Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The 'Special' eBay users buying Retro Games!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Only had one problematic person to deal with on eBay thus far. Had someone bid a few times on one of my items, had a feedback score of over 150 (all positive) so I didn't see any problem. Bidder wins the item, then sends me a message asking to pay by cheque - despite me only offering Paypal on the listing. I point blank refused as it would be inconvenient for me, so winning bidder then starts claiming they've never had a Paypal account etc etc. Irritating.

In the end it was paid for via Paypal though, bidder claimed to have used a friend's account to send payment.

Comment

Some people can't get PayPal because of their credit rating or type of bank account they have. I should know, I spent three or four years getting phoned up a couple of times a week to pay for my mum's auctions. A lot of the time she uses postal orders

It's funny how there's always someone, somewhere who fails to ride the wave of progress.

Comment

Ive done ok by ebay, but it's not what it was, and I generally don't use it to sell any more.

I did learn that this time of the year during the school holidays is not a good time to be listing stuff to sell, not only because your items won't make the money, but you also get kids buying stuff nilly willy who have no intention of seeing the transaction through.

On the odd occasion I had a problem that couldn't be solved by email, I would pull the user details from ebay which used to always include a phone number, and make a direct call and solve it that way. I'm not sure if you can do that anymore (pulling the phone number)

Most of my problems where post related, the main one being the postman leaving packages with neighbours.

Comment

Originally posted by MattyD View Post
          Some people can't get PayPal because of their credit rating or type of bank account they have. I should know, I spent three or four years getting phoned up a couple of times a week to pay for my mum's auctions. A lot of the time she uses postal orders

It's funny how there's always someone, somewhere who fails to ride the wave of progress.
          Yeah, fair enough, but multiple bids over the course of a week on a listing that only offers Paypal as a payment method? The bidder should have twigged early on that it might be a good idea to check if the seller will accept other payment methods, rather than bidding willy-nilly and then deciding to find out after they've won it.

Comment

I've had loads of problems recently, to be fair some people are lovely to deal with but ever since seller negative feedback has stopped being an available option i find that (nearly) everyone who communicates with me be it buying something or just asking a question is very rude, it probably has alot to do with ebay becoming more mainstream too, it's not a big thing but it really annoys me, the worst are people that dont pay for like 4-5 days and then the day after are sending messages like "i won this game 4 days ago why hasnt it come hav u posted it?" - like that with no "hello" or any sort of politeness, i think alot of people now have the attitude of "i'll talk to the seller like sh*t they can't leave me any bad feedback"

Comment

Hey, where's my game? The delay is simply unacceptable!

Comment

Originally posted by paul View Post
                Hey, where's my game? The delay is simply unacceptable!
                thats too good english for the people i seem to get buying my stuff

Just remembered something i meant to put in my original post i've sold my copy Of Paper Mario GC recently, first time the guy didnt pay didnt respond to dispute etc so had to wait ages to get everything refunded, relisted it again, it went for more and i was happy....then the exact same thing happened again, if someone decides they want to bid on something and then not pay then they have us by the balls basically!

Comment

While we're on the topic of w*nkers on eBay, be careful of buying stuff off this c*nt:

I bought a supposedly 'new' copy of Daijou Dodonpachi (sp?) for the not too bad price of £40. When it arrived it was blatantly re-sealed and that pissed me off somewhat as I could have got a used copy for a tenner or so less had I known. I emailed the seller to let him know that it was not new and all he said was that it was in an 'as new' condition, not new. Now I don't give a f*ck if something's as minty as a Trebor, it's still used, and if you advertise it as being new it should f*cking well be new. As the t*sser wouldn't give me a partial refund he left me no choice but to mention on his feedback that although he'd advertised the item as being new, it was used. I was feeling generous so I still gave him positive feedback as he posted it promptly enough and it was in good nick. So what does the brownpipe plumber do? Negs me, even though I paid up straight away, let him shaft me with a second-hand item and then even gave him positive feedback. Pr!ck.

Comment

just looking through his feedback what an absolute piece of work this guy is

"Slow delivery, no communication, but item was as deiscribed and good condition "
                    Buyer:
                    edd14375 ( 7 )
                    24-Apr-08 19:57

Follow-up by edd14375 (25-Apr-08 09:10):
                    12 year old attitute, negative feedback because i left neutral due to late post of item

Reply by japan-import-games (25-Apr-08 09:47):
                    The game was received within the week of paying for the item. Enjoy the feedback"

He obviously negged this guy as he left a neutral which is out of order in my book anyway but it's the "enjoy the feedback" comment thats got my back up what a jumped up little sh*t!

Comment

scrolling further down theres loads, all "removed by mutual consent" so if anyone says anything he dislikes, even if theyve left a positive he leaves a neutral out of spite and so both get eventually removed, clever little move but nasty

can see why ebay took our option of leaving negative feedback with ppl like that about

Comment

I've had a few muppets on ebay but not huge ammounts. I've still go 100% feedback. I stopped selling on ebay unless I have to about 2 years ago. I use amazon and playtrade for everything that I can now. You still get muppets on there but it's a lot less often and less bother.

I had someone who I sold a sealed (proper full wrap with MS strip) pro evo on xbox who gave me poor feedback as the "item was not as described"

I've had a few lost in posts too in about 1000 items which isn't bad. I think 1 was genuine and the other 2 were on a wind up. As soon as you tell people that you have a proof of postage and you will need a writen statement saying that they haven't received the item the genuine ones and the wind up merchants show up easy.

Comment

ooh, I just remembered.

You guys must have come across alichappel. She would bid on literally every single mega drive game bundle on ebay. There was a period of time where it wasn't even worth bothering to bid.

Comment

In regards to the opening post: I would say you'll probably be OK. Once he receives it, he'll probably just leave positive feedback. Especially if you're polite and leave him positive feedback for the payment.

In my experience most situations can be resolved amicably, provided you are polite and up front.

A couple of weeks ago I had problems when I bought a Wii points card from the American eBay without asking the buyer if he'd be willing to email the code. Normally I would have checked all this out before hand, but I had a lapse in concentration.

Anyway, I emailed straight after to ask if he/she would email the code to me. "No" came the response. Pretty annoying, but I remained polite, explaining that it would be a helluvallot less frustrating for all concerned if they did this, that I lived in the UK and it would cost a bomb to post.

No reply. I pay the money, including postage. The guy/gal emails back 24 hours later to say that they need my US address I explain again that I don't have a US address and that is the problem. I offer them the listing fee and again raise the possibility of emailing the code.

They respond entusiastically that emailing the code would be best. * And breath *

Eventually get the code and the postage refunded. All good in the end, but it took a long time!

Disclaimer: the above was not with a "special" person, and a seller at that.
                            Last edited by egparadigm; 19-08-2008, 19:17.

Comment

Originally posted by samanosuke View Post
                              While we're on the topic of w*nkers on eBay, be careful of buying stuff off this c*nt:

I bought a supposedly 'new' copy of Daijou Dodonpachi (sp?) for the not too bad price of £40. When it arrived it was blatantly re-sealed and that pissed me off somewhat as I could have got a used copy for a tenner or so less had I known. I emailed the seller to let him know that it was not new and all he said was that it was in an 'as new' condition, not new. Now I don't give a f*ck if something's as minty as a Trebor, it's still used, and if you advertise it as being new it should f*cking well be new. As the t*sser wouldn't give me a partial refund he left me no choice but to mention on his feedback that although he'd advertised the item as being new, it was used. I was feeling generous so I still gave him positive feedback as he posted it promptly enough and it was in good nick. So what does the brownpipe plumber do? Negs me, even though I paid up straight away, let him shaft me with a second-hand item and then even gave him positive feedback. Pr!ck.
                              Heh, I remember the fuss made over that guy at the Shmups forums when he created an account just to trade there. He dumped that +1000 feedback ebay account almost immediately for some reason...

http://shmups.system11.org/forum/vie...panimportgames slightly NSFW links cos of the avatars

It's now "mangitaroo" (taken from the bunch of resellers I've got on a ebay exclude search list, not that I buy much from ebay UK) if you want to avoid buying from him again.
                              Last edited by mezzanine; 19-08-2008, 19:37.

Comment

Originally posted by monomaniacpat View Post
                                In regards to the opening post: I would say you'll probably be OK. Once he receives it, he'll probably just leave positive feedback. Especially if you're polite and leave him positive feedback for the payment.

In my experience most situations can be resolved amicably, provided you are polite and up front.
                                Politeness is my first action in these situations. Im quick to resolve situations.

Okay, the guy left me a neutral so im revealing him to the world. He has been placed on my blocked bidders list and i suggest you do the same sellers! Here he is with his lovely new sparkling 'new user' logo... Suprise Suprise!
                                gazseal82 ( 0 )

EDIT: Update from the buyer.
                                I emailed him saying I was very unhappy with what had happened etc. And i recieved the following reply:

I paid for the item 6 days ago and didnt receive it till today, in future you should make sure you describe your items in more detail to avoid future problems. So if you are making a threat then I suggest you keep your thoughts to yourself as you are messing with the wrong person.
                                Lets break this down...
                                6 days ago... Wrong, paid 5 Days ago to be precise.
                                Paid Friday morning, packed up Friday afternoon. Halted as there was a problem...
                                Emailed him with the problem, he replied saturday (after 12:30pm)
                                Weekend Passes...
                                Monday morning, item posted...
                                Tuesday Morning, item arrives...

Please can somebody tell me how I could have made this transaction any smoother as i really cant see! Heh, what an ass!
                                Im messing with the wrong guy anyways so i best back down right now

Anyways!

In regards to leaving positive feedback for a quick payment... Id highly recommend all sellers to NEVER leave feedback first. This just opens you up to negatives flying in.
                                Its pretty much and unwritten law imo that buyers leave feedback first. Its good etiquette and good trading practice. Once you know the buyer is happy, you can reward him for the transaction with a +1
                                However if you give the +1 before you know it arrives/theyre happy. The buyer will be more willing to write down any (unreasonable) problems as they know they have the postive +1 they needed all along.

At the end of the day, your feedback score is unimportant to them, only their own is...

Originally posted by Mayhem View Post
                                What restrictions do you normally employ btw? I won an item last week where the US seller had blocked anyone outside the country from bidding but made me an exception when I asked. That's why I ask sellers!

Usually I block negative feedback users but I generally ship anywhere in the world unless it's big and/or heavy...
                                Mayhem, my settings are as follows...
                                Block Buyers who...
                                Have received 2 Unpaid Item strike(s) within 1 Month(s).
                                Have a feedback score of -1 or lower
                                Have a feedback score of 5 or lower and no credit card on file
                                Are currently winning or have bought 10 of my items in the last 10 days and have a feedback score of 5 or lower

Youre right, always check with sellers abroad before buying.
                                Id highly recommend NOT blocking bidders from abroad as there are some fantastic eBayers out there, especially in europe. Ive got some regular buyers, some which i email before listing to sell to.

Originally posted by superstarbeejay View Post
                                ooh, I just remembered.

You guys must have come across alichappel. She would bid on literally every single mega drive game bundle on ebay. There was a period of time where it wasn't even worth bothering to bid.
                                Now that is a name i havent seen in a while, one i used to battle with too!
                                However I did buy an odd few items from him/her occasionally!
                                Oh how they come and go...

I think overall, as this thread is showing, when selling you deal with some complete jackasses. However overall, selling is a pleasant experience imo. Ive had some really complimentary feedback recently.

A good example of this is a PS1 Console i sold recently.
                                I have a box of disc only games n carts lying around and any console I sell, ill throw in a few suprise games to sweeten the deal.
                                The buyer in this case was over the moon with the extras i dropped in.
                                Id say 99% of console buyers are just starting out collecting/playing and wont have much to play, so any extra will be very helpful.

Ive found this technique almost guarantees a positive as you cant complain at getting something for nothing! Those spare loose games were only gathering dust anyways!
                                Last edited by Cauterize; 19-08-2008, 22:30.

Comment

Working...
                                X