No announcement yet.

Advance Wars (any) - Discussion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

BTW, whilst we're on the subject, does anyone know if the Japanese GBA games have an English language option? Or at the very least if the stats fields are labelled in English?

Comment

People still playing? only a handful of missions into the actual campaign so far. Lots of fun. May rock out a translation of gameboy wars now, i'm in the mood
      Last edited by noobish hat; 21-11-2008, 22:11.

Comment

I'm trying to complete the Advanced campaign again....

Comment

Ok, I just had the most ridiculous battle. I fought through enemy lines, to get a squad of infantry to the enemy HQ, and started capturing it. All my other units were destroyed. Then a bomber comes out of nowhere and blows me to ****. My infantry has one health. Then, the bomber runs out of ammo and fuel, and explodes. I then spend the next 16 days capturing the sodding HQ, while the enemy does nothing. Lame. I got a D!

Comment

Quite enjoying this as you may be able to tell. Just had a great battle

The second Kanbei mission, where you're massively outnumbered by medium tanks and you're on a little island with three factories and 2 bridges to defend. Arsed up on the first two tries, all the tanks got in and surrounded me. Third time's the charm; I held the bridges with tanks and pulverised the morons with rockets and artillery. So much fun. Don't think I lost a single unit on this one. A-rank!

Got this game at launch, actually I remember being annoyed that the release date was knocked back because of 9/11 (also, Card Captors was not aired on that day, which was wank, since it was the only thing to look forward to after a hard day's getting beaten up at school). Gameboy Wars was the first video game I ever bought with my own money, at the age of about 7, maybe that's why I was eager to get Advance Wars . Funny story; I didn't actually realise it was a Japanese game, I was so excited to have made some money on my dad's market stall, I ran to the nearest stall and bought the only game I could afford. £8 as I recall. Had brilliant artwork though.

Comment

ridiculously fond memories of this game.

not just the best handheld multiplayer ever - some of the best multiplayer I've ever played full stop

Comment

I don't know the questionable legality of it but someone did a multi player pc version of the GBA games specifically for PC

Comment

sweet zombie jesus, just had the most agonizing 66 day battle. Took about 5 hours. my zeal for this game is waning.

Comment

That's the best part! TBH it tends to get like that on the tougher maps. Even though you know you're on the road to victory the AI persists until the last and you end up having to rush its factories with recon and infantry units to stop them continually producing units until the CO runs out of fund.

Comment

How many missions are there? I think my last one was 15 or something,

the first battle against the leader of black hole

Last edited by noobish hat; 24-11-2008, 22:11.

Comment

Ok, just finished it. nowhere near as long as I expected. For some reason I always assumed there were like a hundred missions or something. I guess if you factor in all the maps you can buy + all the branching paths, unlockable COs and all that guff, it's a lot longer. It was great fun, but I don't think I'll bother fannying around with most of that. By the end it was just stupidly difficult really. Everything was fine til the last 2 battles,

when suddenly the enemy had every single type of unit, and the ability to produce millions more. Spent several hours on each of those last two battles, mostly cos the enemy had so many frickin units it was taking like 10 minutes just for him to complete manouvres

. In the end it was still fun though, just annoying I had to look up a basic strategy to try. Probably never would have managed it without clues.

The

black hole army

theme music is ear shatteringly badass, but after hearing the same portion over and over again on each of the enemy's moves. i decided to put on tenacious D's break-in city instead, great for when I was finally busting in on his turf and capturing all his ****. (lyrics NSFW)

Comment

On to Advanced mode next Mr. Hat! Go to the screen where you buy maps, hold Select and press A I believe. Enjoy

Comment

Working...
                          X