Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Street Fighter II skills... Is age a factor?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

oohhhhh SF2. What a game. Leon you hit the nail about it being a great time in gaming, in fact the best i think.

I loved the whole series apart from the 3d titles. Totally cained Turbo on the snes, managed to finish level 8 without losing a round with Ken.

Moved onto Alpha, the original was the best in the trilogy for me. It had the chain combo system which meant for some mental combos and had the best music as capcom did a CD remix. Alpha 2 was great but lost the chain combos and introduced custom combos but they were crap. Alpha 3 was better but the music sucked, weird fault really but it lost all the original theme tunes.

So many spin offs also, in fact Capcom vs SNK on DC is my fav beat em up of all time. Perfect gameplay, music, combo system, characters and almost graphics( hi res characters would have been nice!).

In fact my clain to fame is going to Sega Park where 2 japanese lads were pulling a small audience playing it. Well I challenged them and won in style with a Kim ariel supercombo!!

Comment

I think age is a factor to a certain extent. Most of the older guys on my live friends list got the achievements for hyper fighting really quickly. Me on the other hand being a fair bit younger (21) will probably never get them.
      I could just be trying to use that as an excuse though for sucking at the game.

Comment

Originally posted by jamesy View Post
        I think age is a factor to a certain extent. Most of the older guys on my live friends list got the achievements for hyper fighting really quickly. Me on the other hand being a fair bit younger (21) will probably never get them.
        I could just be trying to use that as an excuse though for sucking at the game.
        Liking the game didn't mean someone was good at it. It's like any other game: some people are o.k. at it, others good, and some seemingly superhuman.

My best mate back in those days was a big SF2 fan, and could do all the moves, but.. I still destroyed him. It's because I had the tactics and cunning to defeat him in nearly every fight.

I was the same with Mario Kart. My mates used to play it at their homes - and train at it, but.. I whipped their asses easily. I simply had that extra edge and focus.

If you have an instinct and deep interest for a game, you will naturally get good at it. Defeating the truely best people is only going to be something a small few can achieve.

I think everyone who likes fighting games( Street Fighter in perticular ) ... should embrace SFIV. That's the one to learn - when it gets released on consoles.

Comment

It's all about approach to the game and the experience that comes from playing vs another human. I see many people on here had a casual approach to the game and there's nothing wrong with that but if you want to become competitive, that's a whole different game.

Comment

Could anyone pull off Zangief's spinning piledriver regularly? I never managed to use it in a real game, although once or twice when practising (how sad that sounds) in 2 player mode by myself I was able to do it.

Comment

Oh yes. Though only with a stick (in the arcade and at home), I could never do it regularly on a SNES pad. The grab range was smaller than it ended up being in later titles...
              Lie with passion and be forever damned...

Comment

If the majority of your experience for SF2 comes from the Amiga version then it is understandable that the entire phenomenon passed you by as the game just wasn't Street Fighter 2 at all.

The developers didn't have access to the source code or any system information. They were basically granted the license to create a game called Street Fighter II and basically had to guess how things worked from playing the arcade game. The results were a mess. None of hit mechanics, hitboxes/frames, move delays etc were even close.

Comment

Originally posted by Stroppy View Post
                  Could anyone pull off Zangief's spinning piledriver regularly? I never managed to use it in a real game, although once or twice when practising (how sad that sounds) in 2 player mode by myself I was able to do it.
                  i could do it a few times but it generally only worked if i was in the air, so i would uump and do the motion in the air and when i landed just in range for the move to start

Comment

spd is far easier with a stick, double spd is very hard standing but easy when jumping in.

Comment

I never thought of starting the 360 turn in the air. I always did it on the ground, and got pissed off when he jumped.

Can't wait to try it on the Wii when I get back now.

Comment

you must defeat sheng long to stand a chance

Comment

Originally posted by Stroppy View Post
                          I never thought of starting the 360 turn in the air. I always did it on the ground, and got pissed off when he jumped.
                          A common combo set up would be something like flying air splat, crouching light kicks into spinning piledriver. If they blocked, you got them with the twist and shout. If they didn't block, you finished off with a different move on the end of the light kicks, maybe a hard round kick for two more hits (and a possible dizzy).
                          Lie with passion and be forever damned...

Comment

I have to say i am so glad i got to experience the days of the sf2/snes era. Although the kids today have xbox360/PS3 i would never in a million years swap it for what i had when i was a kid.

I remember being in Ireland when i had my first SF2 experience and to be honest i wasn't interested in the game. Right next to it was Final Fight and that was my game which i was absolutely fascinated with!

But with the snes out as a kid and my dad dropping me off round 16-bit world in West Brom every Saturday, Street Fighter 2 became my game. I was only about 12-13 and i was known as the "wizard" back then! LOL. me and some of the older lads would go street fighter 2 a match each and "clock" the game. I remeber my mate getting "SF2turbo" on Japanese import and we both went wild. It was a big thing back in the day.

Street Fighter has made me the gamer i am today and i consider myself lucky to have that influence of such a great game. God bless Capcom and God Bless the SNES.

Comment

The early SF games are absolute classics. I still own SF, SF Turbo and Super SF for my Super Famicom and play them often.

My first exp with SF was when i was on a school trip during the early nineties (think i was around 11-12 at the time) in an arcade at the American Adventure theme park i think, i beat my mate using Ken and even though i'd never played it before haha.

good memories!

Comment

Originally posted by C' View Post
                                If the majority of your experience for SF2 comes from the Amiga version then it is understandable that the entire phenomenon passed you by as the game just wasn't Street Fighter 2 at all.

The developers didn't have access to the source code or any system information. They were basically granted the license to create a game called Street Fighter II and basically had to guess how things worked from playing the arcade game. The results were a mess. None of hit mechanics, hitboxes/frames, move delays etc were even close.
                                LOL! SF2 on Amiga.

That was actually my first home SF2. But luckily I knew that the Arcade was a different story, as that was the first time I saw and played it.

This Amiga version... lets just say that we were happy to have the game home. It was a piece of crap. Ryu's Dragon punch was a charge d, u motion I believe... and went straight up! Wasn't the Amiga a tad overrated in retrospect, with this 'game' getting 90% scores?

I have to say that Super SF2 on the amiga, while still a turd, played pretty much as its supposed to (sans the typical 2 button setup ofcourse). I believe it had a good remixed soundtrack too.

But back to SF2, wasn;t this from US Gold. That was a Capcom subsidiary isn't it?
                                Last edited by saturn-gamer; 26-12-2008, 13:52.

Comment

Working...
                                X