Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Street Fighter II skills... Is age a factor?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think a fair few of us feel this way. 3rd Strike is a fantastic game but SF had burnt itself out for me by then.
    Agree with this, really want to love SF3 as dedicated so much time to the others growing up, but it isn't so much being 'burnt out' as having to learn a whole load of new play mechanics, such as parry and reacting to the new animations etc. etc. I think it looks fantastic, but why do all the characters look like bloody aliens? They seem to lack the distinct quality of the original series' line-up.

Yeah, and the big palm tree in Sagat's stage. Although I can see why that got removed as it was in front of the characters so you'd get obscured behind it!
    I also liked the rocks in Sagat's stage, a strange thing for a young man to contemplate on but hey-ho. Didn't Guile's stage have something too? And didn't Ken's have barrels - or were they kept in in all proceeding versions?
    Last edited by Escape-To-88; 30-12-2008, 23:18.
    3DS FC (updated 2015): 0447-8108-3129

Comment

Ken's barrels have always been there, as have Guile's wooden boxes. But, if I remember correctly (i.e. instead of just booting up my PSP to check) in SF2 Ken's stage had a metal barrel AND some boxes, whereas in later versions it was just the metal barrel either side. I'm pretty sure that's what happened, anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by B1gBeard View Post
        The thing I remember most from that time is that apart from the odd element, everyone was very courteous during and after play.
        Yeh you can still tell who's been going to arcades for a while, they always ask to challenge. Gets on my nerves when people don't ask, even though most of the time I don't mind if they do. It's a basic courtesy.
        Anyone else's local have the 'no throws' house rule where if you threw someone they'd get a free one back? The ante was upped at the video shop near my school where if you threw someone they got a free combo. Pretty deadly on the WW or CE versions as moves took so much energy off.
        Then there were the annoying people who'd fight the whole round then block fireballs to get a draw game so they could play more rounds.

Comment

Where I live it was against the 'rules' to throw in the arcades but at home playing friends I would throw the hell out of them.

I miss the days of SF2 arcade gaming, that was a phenomenon I never experienced again.

I bought a 360 to play on Live hoping it would reignite some of those memories and while it was fun for a short while (playing hyper), there were too many Hondas for my liking and to be honest I just couldn't put in the time or didn't have the effort to get as good as some of the players I came across.

When I played a fairly matched opponent on Live it was brilliant though and I really enjoyed it for a while.

I think someone mentioned how it's much better having someone present physically to have as much fun and I've missed out on that since the arcades died and the closest thing was the days of the Dreamcast with me regularly playing a close friend at any fighter that came out on it.

Comment

Originally posted by shinobi7000 View Post
            I miss the days of SF2 arcade gaming, that was a phenomenon I never experienced again.
            Too true, magical times. I remember going down to the local videogame shop every Saturday with my £1 spending money for 7 credits on CE, enough money to last a whole day. Normally there would be 20+ people gathered around the machine which meant plenty of battles and banter.

I used to practice religiously with Ryu and became pretty decent, so much so that the regulars banned me from using him

My mum knew the shopkeeper and as I was probably about 9 at the time he used to watch over me as my mum went off shopping. Normally she would have to battle to drag me away from the machine when she wanted to go, but would often sweeten the deal my letting me rent out a NES game. Good times and good memories

Comment

Going off on a tangent, I'm certain it was SF2s presence on the SNES/SF that made the Megadrive look much less appealing all of a sudden to fighter fans.

Once it was confirmed that it was coming to the SNES I knew my Megadrive wasn't doing enough for me, I had to have SF2 at home. Up until then the Megadrive was my pride and joy.

Comment

Started playing SSF2T online in the last couple of days via GGPO, even with a pad the old man's still got it Get on there if you can, needs more UKers and is great fun.

Comment

2df man, 2df!

Comment

I have played SF2, any SF actually, virtually non stop since 1991.

Still to meet somebody I can't beat. Sure, some of the hardcore players in Goodge St can beat me overall but it is always a good match and there are only about 3 who do.

Why isn't SSF2HD out on PS3 yet btw!?!?

Very annoying.

Still...nice thread.

Oh-and any challengers welcome!

Comment

Originally posted by shinobi7000 View Post
                      I think someone mentioned how it's much better having someone present physically to have as much fun and I've missed out on that since the arcades died and the closest thing was the days of the Dreamcast with me regularly playing a close friend at any fighter that came out on it.
                      My friend and I were playing Marvel vs Capcom 2 before Christmas and were in stitches. It was so much fun. It was really funny (some of the characters) and also a really good competition.

Comment

My local video rental shop had a SF2 machine back in the day (& for a bit, a Final Fight machine next to it). It was amazing - you'd have the winner staying on the SF2 cab, whilst the loser would swap out with someone playing Final Fight, so you were always playing something. It was 20p a credit for Street Fighter & 10p for FF, so you never felt out of pocket.

Damn, my rose-tints are steaming up at the memories /wipes a solitary tear from eye.

Comment

Im bumping this thread back up now as I feel its more relevant now with the release of SFIIHD and SFIV.

Ive just bought SFIV on my lunchbreak now and ill probably get SFIIHD over the weekend. I nearly bought the stategy guide with the game to give me a little help, however my friend said that you learn most SF skills playing others and just practicing...
                          Im detirmined to make up for lost time on this game

From what ive read it seems like everyone has a problem with Ken players, if anyone could explain why that would be fantastic

Comment

Originally posted by Cauterize View Post

From what ive read it seems like everyone has a problem with Ken players, if anyone could explain why that would be fantastic
                            Too many of them, and they all use the same tactics.

Comment

Originally posted by belmondo View Post
                              Too many of them, and they all use the same tactics.
                              Can't see why everyone is moaning. Ryu and Ken are the main charas in the game. They were just palette swaps originally so 2 people could be them.

Back in t'day everyone used only Ryu and Ken. These haters need to STFU.
                              Kept you waiting, huh?

Comment

I agree, besides if you want to convert Ken/Ryu players, surely the best way is to go all out and kick their arses?

I've used Ken almost exclusively since SF2 in the arcades and rarely changed, even to Ryu. As of last Summer, though, I've started finally trying out other characters. The joke is that my new exclusive character is only Ryu, but I like to branch out, especially with non-projectile types like Balrog. My main reason for branching out was phillai's 'Gief Grief(TM) when I just could not beat him with Ken at all.

Of course, I could've probably just worked harder until I did beat him, but if I did that I'd probably still just be using Ken, so it's worked out for the best I think

Comment

Working...
                                X