Which series is best, Sonic or Mario?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Which series is best, Sonic or Mario?

Only talking about the 2d sidescrolling platformers here. Been getting back into Sonic recently, as the first console we had as kids was a megadrive with Sonic 2, even though I've been much more of a Nintendo fan after that. Obviously they're both great series but which is best? There's only one way to find out... FIIIIGHT!!!
    Sonic
    0%
    Mario
    0%

No contest. The fat plumber wins!

Comment

You cant beat the plumber he always gets the girlz in "those" films

I never understood the fascination with sonic thought some of the early ones werent bad but I just never put em in the same league as Mario.

Comment

Overall id have to begrudgingly say Mario, tho i prefer Sonic 1 & 2 on Megadrive to any fat plumber title.

I voted Sonic

Comment

Not a single 2d sonic game can beat mario 3 let alone super mario world. Sure sonics fun but i never did enjoy his adventures more than when im playing mario.

Comment

I used to be all over Sonic but Mario games are waaaaaaaay more polished. Especially now. My girlfriend has been playing Mario Galaxy since Christmas and the other day told me that she tried to play Sonic Unleashed and couldn't get over how ****e it is compared to Galaxy. That's said for most games, sure, but the point still stands.

Unless we are only comparing 16 bit titles here there is no argument.

Comment

OK, now I realise we are only talking 2D. Errr, still Mario.

Comment

Super Mario World is for me THE best game ever. As mentioned in the Edge 10/10 thread, this game is simply perfect. I love the speed of Sonic but in a way it detracts from the gameplay.

BTW - I hope this thread was started without any hint of trolling

Comment

^ yes

I've never liked a sonic game so this decision is easy.

Comment

No competition as far as I'm concerned. No matter what if we are talking 2D or 3D the Italian maestro wins. For me Super Mario World is easily the best platform game ever made. Nothing comes close.

Comment

Wow. I'm with Mario really. It's true, nothing can beat Super Mario World, but I thought there were some hardcore sega fanboys round here.

Comment

Mario because of Super Mario World. Pretty much perfect in every way from controls to pacing to the many secrets.

Comment

My Avatar gives it away, no?

For me, it has to be Mario every single time, I'm afraid. Mario is THE Benchmark for all-round platforming excellence, whether it's 2D (Super Mario Bros. 1, 2 Japan/Lost Levels, 3 & Super Mario World) or 3D (Super Mario 64, Sunshine - the weakest 3D Mario, admittedly, but still good - and of course, Galaxy).

Take Sonic The Hedgehog 1, 2 & Sonic CD out of the equation, and the spiky Blue one's 2D adventures are rank average at best. Sonic 3 and Sonic & Knuckles have dreadful level design for a character who is supposed to have speed as his USP, IMO. The Sonic Advance & Sonic Rush games try to rectify this, but go too far the other way and almost take all the skill out of them in favour of luck and chance.

The less said about ALL of the 3D Sonic games, the better - final proof that Sonic has irretrievably lost his way. Sonic Unleashed is laughably awful.
                          Last edited by Nu-Eclipse; 19-01-2009, 17:48.

Comment

Imo Revenge of Shinobi is far better than Sonic and along with Castlevania IV, the only games which come close to Mario IV sheer perfection. Well Sonic CD is right up there, the other 16 bit Sonic's are miles off .

If its 3D Then Sonic wins, No 3D Platform game comes close to Sonic Adv in my eye's

Comment

They shouldn't even be mentioned in the same thread due to there being leagues between the two franchises.

Mario EVERY time for me, his worst platformer is better than Sonic's best. The Sonic games always felt too American for my liking.

EDIT:
                              Sonic reminds me of that joke character they pretended to introduce to The Simpsons, the one they said was introduced due to lagging sales and he was cool so the kids liked him.
                              Last edited by JP; 19-01-2009, 17:56.

Comment

Working...
                              X