Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Super Mario Bros. 3 or Super Mario World?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I prefer 3 more than World, although I would go for the All Stars version above the NES original.

I don't like Yoshi much and therefore I prefer 3, where he doesn't feature.

Comment

which is the one where you turn into a racoon? Maybe that was the best. Never owned a Nintendo console (except handhelds).

Comment

Originally posted by shinobi7000 View Post
        I prefer 3 more than World, although I would go for the All Stars version above the NES original.
        BLASPHEMY!!1

Comment

Well, err, the inertia certainly doesn't feel 'right' in the All-Stars version does it? The presentation is also scrappier in comparison, given that it's running on a more powerful console.

Overall, I'd go for SMW over SMB3, it's not as groundbreaking but it's a more refined product, with lots more nice touches, like an improved flying mechanism.

Comment

Originally posted by MattyD View Post
            BLASPHEMY!!1
            Guilty as charged .

Dunno about the inertia being off though. I prefer the presentation of the All Stars version and find it hard to go back to the originals.

Comment

Yeah I'd much rather play the All Stars version too.

Comment

It's all about SuperMarioBros2 for me ... That was the first platformer I played that had depth to it. The choice of characters; shadow world; digging the sand levels; throwing turnips etc.... A wonderful experience - with brilliant graphics and sound.

MarioWorld was a massive event for me and gaming in general. Designed to perfection - it has everything needed to keep you entralled.

Mario3 actually has more stuff in it than MarioWorld - and it's easy to understand why some people prefer it. I personally think MarioWorld has the edge when it comes to overall refinement and satisfaction.

Then you have Yoshi's Island, which is also amazingly good. ... When it comes down to it - I'm just happy that all the Mario games exist. What an excellent bunch of AAA classics.

Comment

Well for me it has to be SMW, still in my top 5 games of all time, and they are all joint 1st!!

I will be totally honest and say that if it hadn't come with the SNES I probably wouldn't have bought it.
                  I had been through the Atari and CBS Colecovison and had really enjoyed games like, Adventure, Pitfall II and Miner 49er (which again where platformers with some decent level design), but had missed out on the NES as I was into BMXing and Skateboarding and getting pissed, my younger brother was the one playing games then.

But I remember coming back from a weekend out and buying a SNES which came with SMW.
                  I spent the rest of the next week sat round with mates trying to find everything in that game. One on, one off!
                  It got me back into gaming in a big way and I still enjoy playing it today.

Comment

I can't be alone in prefering the original nes/famicom versions over the Mario Allstars/Mario Advance versions, can I?

Comment

You're not alone mate. I just love the chunky, colourful graphics and the fat sound of the NES versions (yay for turning low resolution, limited palette and awful sound into positive attributes). Also, someone hit the nail on the head when they mentioned the inertia being not quite the same; the All Stars versions always felt a little different.

Comment

When I was younger I would probably have said SMB3, after all teh Wizard had me hyped for so long after seeing it. I loved World as well but always felt that 3 was the better game but over the years and the many times I have played the game I see how World is certainly the superior game with the huge amount of levels and secrets it truly is a magical game.

It is the only game I think I ever bothered trying to find everything, I remember sitting round my mates place for three days straight to get to the end and another two weeks to find all 96 levels. Certainly would get my vote for best platformer ever.

What is even funnier I used to rate the Sonic games much higher but they have aged so badly that i can't even bring myself to play them now where as with Mario it seems as fresh as the day it came out.

Comment

Originally posted by wargame View Post

What is even funnier I used to rate the Sonic games much higher but they have aged so badly that i can't even bring myself to play them now where as with Mario it seems as fresh as the day it came out.

I was a heavy Sega fan as a kid but looking back the Sonic games just didn't compare to Mario. I completed Sonic 1 within a day or two of buying it, that just wouldn't happen with a Mario game.

Comment

Gah it's a hard choice depending on if im allowed to include the ereader levels in super mario 3. If not then i'd go with super mario world, but if im allowed then super mario bros 3 on gba with the ereader stuff is pretty much the definitive version out of the 2 for me.

First you have mario 3 in itself which is fantastic but then you can mix it up with the ereader by adding elements from mario bros 2 & smw, plus 32 extra levels that are added which are very fun to play & have lots of variation due to them mixing the sprites & elements from various mario games.

Time for some vids

Comment

Working...
                            X