Best GBA?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Best GBA?

Following on from the top 10 GBA thread I was just wondering what the best GBA model was? A Micro? An SP? Do I remember something about a better/brighter screen GBA being introduced in Japan at the end of the Advance's life.

Enlighten me oh those who know better than I.

Micro!
    It's the only truly portable handheld in gaming history. I don't know about other people, but I've never put any of the other models into my pocket, they all get stuck in a slip case and put in my bag. The form factor is just terrific and utterly boner-inducing, particularly the Famicom version. I don't think it's too small as some people have said, and unless you have huge Michelin man hands, I don't believe it's a problem. The tiny screen, I kind of like, although in all honesty I do sometimes have to hold it up to my face to be able to read things etc.

Close second is of course the SP, my recommendation being the NES style edition. The famicom one is nice, but unless you want to fork out 250-odd quid for the gold and brown one (like the Micro) I don't think it looks as nice. The SP has the bonus of playing Gameboy and Color games and is also the only way to play them with a properly lit screen (unless you want to search for a Gameboy Light), vastly improving on the blur effect you often get with those older games. An illuminated screen is a must really and the Micro and SP both have one. The second generation SP is actually backlit (and also only available in Japan and the US, I believe), but I've never had any trouble with the frontlit model, I think it looks pretty good.

Having said all that, I sometimes (usually when all my SPs and Micros have drained their batteries) use my DS Lite, and on those occassions I can't help but lament a noticeably improved display on it; better lit and more vibrant, but for some reason, I just have to play on the 'original' console. This is why I am weighed down by carrying around a Micro, a DS and an original Gameboy. Those things are heavy!

Needless to say, I don't set much store by the original model Advance. I remember having to get into contortionist style positions whilst playing, just to get enough light on the screen to be able to see it. DAMN YOU CIRCLE OF THE MOON!
    Last edited by noobish hat; 23-01-2009, 18:04.

Comment

Id say micro is pretty good especially the screen its suprisingly sharp & readable even though its tiny but if you want something a bit bigger to hold then a sp is the way to go definately recommnd you look for the newer backlit gba sp's that came out in the states near the end of the gba's life.

If only they had released those newer brighter screen gba sp's in more colours than the regular dull ones. I dont think japan got the newer backlit gba sps only the states got them.
      Last edited by importaku; 23-01-2009, 18:36.

Comment

All this GBA talk reminds me how much I love the damn machine! Reminded me to nip over to Play-Asia to get the one game that I've been meaning to for ages: Warioland 4/Warioland Advance. 10 quid special offer they're doing, one per customer. Maybe another one for the top ten list in t'other thread, Noobish...?

As for GBA versions, I struggled along with the Advance, despite crippling lack of backlighting, because I bought it just prior to release of SP on advice of some ignorant **** (or canny saleman) in Game who said the SP was a long, long way off. Should have traded it in.

Comment

Gameboy player

I loved the Gameboy micro just for how portable and awesome it was (plus games look amazing)

Gameboy advance SP obviously can play GB/GBC games too though and can be connected to gamecube (Micro can but its hassle getting a cable made).

I'd say you should get an SP (backlit if possible) AND a Micro

Comment

I must admit although i love using my micro for gba stuff when it comes to older gameboy games (mostly mono) i prefer the gb light, not only is the screen bigger than any of the mono gameboys its also bigger than the gbc screen too. Plus they look lovely in the dark.

In daylight, mmm ok but not anything special

When the lights go out, supasexy 8bit goodness Phwoooar

Comment

I really, really want one! Sadly I couldn't find any in Tokyo (just another part of the Japanese conspiracy to rob Sorrel of anything he enjoys, same reason Yoshinoya don't do spicy beef any more).

Comment

I agree with Jason, im a GB Light Fanboy, mainly because he gave me one

GB Light > GB Color > GB Pocket > GB Chunky

GBA Micro > GBASP > GBA

Comment

Woah woah woah. Adam. What the hell are you talking about. The chunky gameboy's way better than the pocket, and everybody knows it. How can you criticise a handheld you could kill someone with?

Comment

Get a backlit sp wil if you can, or the mirco if you cant. The regular frontlit sp is of if your moving up from the original gba for example, however if you've played any modern day handhelds eg the ds or psp, then the original frontlit sp looks rather washed out and weedy. I can confirm the backlit gba sp also was released in asia as well as the states as i have one, not sure about japan tho? I think not?

Comment

Yeah the front lit SP is really annoying. Also the cartridge connector on mine seems to be pretty much dead now, it doesn't seem to read anything...

Comment

I've just got hold of a backlit SP. I have enormous hands, so the Micro is just too small for extensive gaming. Thus the backlit SP is the best.

Comment

I've got an original GB (Japanese launch day back in '89 ), a Pocket, a Pocket Light, a Color, a normal GBA and a normal frontlit SP but that's where I ended before the DS. So I'm not short of anything to actually play GBA games on. But I'm not that keen on playing them on the DS and the SP display is a little dull so I guess a Micro and/or a backlit SP is where I'm heading.

Sorry, do I sound a little greedy?
                          Last edited by Wil; 23-01-2009, 19:49.

Comment

I had an original GBA with an Afterburner light fitted, was the nuts, don't know why I sold it on really. I find the SP too awkward to hold for any decent amount of time and I don't exactly have massive hands.

Comment

The original GBA design is the most comfortable, and has the best buttons, best D-pad, best shoulder buttons. Just a shame you have to crane your neck under a 3000 watt spotlight to actually see the damn thing!

Comment

Working...
                              X