The price of collecting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by nintastic View Post
    I'm waiting for my bext unboxed game collector hero to post ...........we all know who that is !
    Ha, you know id have to reply to this topic!

CIB? In the end its completely down to personal preference.

After a good decade of collecting, ive finally decided the direction I wanted to head with my collection. Although im aiming for complete collections for NES and SNES currently, going for complete games would be an impossible task.

As of recent ive aquired a few of the more obscure NES games, they have been a real pain to locate and not as cheap as id like. Some I have waited a good few months to see them surface on the 'bay and by that point I had decided to just go for it.

Nintendo boxes are so flimsy and delicate, that to wait for a perfect boxed copy of Flintstones 2 (NES) or Addams Family Puggsleys Scavenger Hunt (NES) too arrive would take a lifetime or never happen.
    Now as mentioned in other threads, even if a mint copy did surface, youve then been presented with numerous problems.

Firstly, the postman... It may be mint on the auction, it may look so crisp, but unless you are collecting the game in person, there is a lot of travelling it will have to go through. God knows how many sorting offices, post sacks and so on. Nobody reads/cares about stickers that say fragile, youve just got to hang onto hope that it survives the journey.
    If they never do, youre stuck with a permanent problem, youd be buying the same game over and over again...

Secondly, the minter it is, the more your wallet will take the hit.
    Lets use two games here as examples...
    Firstly, Mega Man X3. Cart only £80-120ish, Boxed £150ish, Complete £200-250, Mint £300+, Sealed who knows...
    If you have the cash then it wont be a worry, but I personally dont have enough money to spend almost double or triple on a game for the extras.
    Secondly, Mr Gimmick (NES), Cart only £100ish, Complete £500+... Lets not even get started on it...

Thirdly, pictures, descriptions and your own intuition...
    Im using an extreme example here, but take a look at this Earthbound auction...
    Within the auction is this direct quote: "Game is in great condition!"
    But take a minute to look at the picture, I was never aware a great condition Earthbound came with a Fishing Sticker and a huge dent from a fist.
    As said, this is an extreme example, but lets say this same auction did not have a picture. Youd be easily decieved by that auctions description, end up recieving this junk only to leave you needing to find another and sort out a dispute to get your monies back.
    What about auctions with crappy quality images? Ones that have stolen images off other auctions, stock images and so on... I know this doesnt happen too often, but its always a factor.

As im aiming for the full set of NES and SNES games, cart only is perfect for me. If I won the lottery id go after CIB games.
    After all im a gamer too, so I want to enjoy them in whatever form possible!

Megadrive & Master System are somewhat a different matter though. As the games came in a hard case, there is no excuse whatsoever to not have them all boxed! I cant understand why some people threw away the boxes.
    I just wish they made better holders for the manuals on the earlier releases...
    I think the hard cases are the reason most MD/SMS games will never reach the values CIB Nintendo games get as there isnt much of a challenge to find them.

But dont let my opinions sway you. These points are purely my views and I wouldnt be suprised if not many agree with me.
    But if you too are going for a complete set of CIB Ninty games, be sure to show me in the afterlife as im off to play my cart only games now
    Last edited by Cauterize; 17-02-2009, 18:41.

Comment

It's a good point, and although I'd like to have a complete copy of all stuff I buy... I will consider cart only copies if the title is expensive*. Besides, there's so many cart only Nintendo games out there! Someone has to give them a home

*I must admit, I do tend to feel bad about ignoring games I'm after due to a bit of card and paper not being present... lol

Comment

i used to collect yugioh tcg now thats expensive!!, i got out when it was rushing £200 a card for some stuff and you needed 3 to play it, once checked my deck of 40 cards and valued it - must have been worth at least £1500+, so sold up shop and went back to my trusty switched saturn

Comment

Originally posted by Cauterize View Post
          But dont let my opinions sway you. These points are purely my views and I wouldnt be suprised if not many agree with me.
          But if you too are going for a complete set of CIB Ninty games, be sure to show me in the afterlife as im off to play my cart only games now
          Well I'm neither the obsessive kind for which a box is necessary nor am I like yourself in wanting every game for a system! Actually gamelife gave me a great idea and that's to buy the Jp version of US games and get a box for a fraction of the price! I think I'll carry on collecting boxed SFC games but only if price permits me to do so.

Comment

If you have the time and patience you can get most SFC games in very good condition (and reasonably priced) from Japan via ebay. I used a number of sellers over the 2+ years it took me to build mine. You just have to keep your eye open for bargains!

Comment

My complete N64 collection (inc pal & ntsc) is all boxed, and as minty as I could find at the time.

Trouble is storage as you say. I've stored all of the carts neatly in a chest of drawers, but everything else is in cardboard boxes in the loft....

Wake up in a cold sweat sometimes wondering what the climate swings are doing to those boxes over time

Comment

Ruining the glue, and warping the card. Probably.

Comment

Yeah dude that is a really bad idea.

Comment

I've ended up collecting far more than I thought I would... I have a few duplicates though, so I need to shift them. I am now only after rare Dreamcast stuff - but I am also saving for my first car.

Space is a bit of a bugger and I wouldn't collect if I didn't play them, to me it's all about playing the games.

Comment

Originally posted by sonic_shuffle View Post
                      I am now only after rare Dreamcast stuff
                      There is any, Border Down excepting?

Comment

I wouldn't even consider Border Down that rare tbh, theres quite a few that are harder to find though, e.g Taxi 2 (PAL only French release), 7 Disc Boxset of El Dorado Gate, that Japanese reality TV show game by Hudson, E.F.F vs Zeon DX, Choco Marker, Submarine No.6. I'm sure a lot of them aren't as rare as some games on other systems but it took me a lot longer to find those than Border Down when I was still collecting for the Dreamcast. Theres still loads more stuff on the system thats not too common.

Comment

I have Taxi 2, SEGAGAGA boxset, Space Channel 5 pt 2 Boxset and a lot more besides.

I prefer hardware to software anyway. I love my limited edition Dreamcasts...

Comment

Originally posted by sonic_shuffle View Post
                            I prefer hardware to software anyway. I love my limited edition Dreamcasts...
                            Dreamcast imo is definately the greatest for Ltd Ed hardware, loads of different consoles, vmu's and controllers.

Comment

Working...
                            X