Favourite Jet Set Willy Room

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Favourite Jet Set Willy Room

I love Jet Set Willy. I still have great memories of going round a friend's house to play on both games. I remember him finding out how to get into space and excitedly showing me. I also found out the meaning of the word 'cartography' from that game (JSW2) and 'nomen luni' so it was educational too!

I want to ask what is your favourite Jet Set Willy (1 or 2) room and why?

Mine is the Swimming Pool - I used to play around jumping off the rope and having it catch me, and then drag me through the pool. You had to be careful of the monk though -you should always be careful of monks in swimming pools

The Battlements.

Why, I liked the little soldiers. I was only wee at the time and couldn't play it myself, I just watched my brother and always asked him to go the battlements route.

Comment

Chuckie Egg 2 was way better!

*runs and hides*

Comment

The Battlements was a great room because it was on the way to space!

I don't know Chuckie Egg 2 - but it won't have been better than JSW I did play Chuckie Egg on the Amiga but I heard that version was meant to be particuarly bad. Also there were no monks or swimming pools or rockets

Does no-one else like Jet Set Willy here?

Comment

The attic? because it killed you, and let you go play chuckie egg!

Comment

I really can't remember any of the rooms in the game but more importantly...
            Originally posted by noobish hat View Post
            That was an absolutely fantastic platformer and was leagues ahead of anything else at the time for me!!!

Comment

lol. What's all this about Chuckie Egg 2? I will have to watch it on YouTube. Is it an exploration game? If not then I bet Manic Miner will slaughter it

The Nightmare room is my 2nd favourite room. It was tough to figure out, but that was part of the fun. Plus it was nice to be a pig! (with wings)

Comment

Originally posted by noobish hat View Post

*runs and hides*
                Oh piss off. It was nothing compared to Dynamite Dan!

Comment

Chuckie Egg would never load on our Speccy.

Fortunately JSW2 always did

I liked the rocket too - one of the many surreal masterpieces in that game.

Comment

Any with a rope were just fun. Pushing alternate directions on the keys, experimenting to get higher up the rope .

If you're after a room name, then the name that always sticks in my mind (and my Dad's, brother's and sister's minds lol) for some reason is the Nomen Luni

Comment

the ropes were fun, the cold room springs to mind, as does the off licence and the orangerie

Comment

I love the big maps of JSW 1 and 2 here and here.

Anybody else played Jet Set Willy Online? As an idea, it seems like it shouldn't work, but it's actually really good fun.

Comment

ha - some fellow JSW fans I haven;t played JSW Online but I have heard good things. I will have to try it!

'Nomen Luni' is a reference to Matt Smiths favourite game ZZoom. Indeed it is one of the planes from that game that has crashed into the roof.

Thanks for the map James.

I wish that someone would do a new 3D version on Xbox360 or PS3. It would be great to play Jet Set Willy on my TV again. It definitely is possible to do a good 3D version, you could have lots of mad things going on too. Most developers seem to be a bit inept at making fun 3D platformers though - even Sega these days so it seems. If nothing else its worth a try. Once Retro Gamer magazine had an April Fool (I assume it was) about a JSW Mario Kart style game for mobile phones. With various characters from the game sitting in the carts.

Comment

I think the thing I loved about JSW, and a lot of older games around that time, was that you were dropped into a world, and you had to just discover it yourself. There was nothing stopping you going anywhere in JSW other than your own skill, and there are loads of different paths you could take through the game. I suppose these days, anybody doing something similar would get called a Metroid clone, but even Metroid games are more linear than a lot of stuff we used to get on the 8 bit computers.

Thinking back to games like JSW, Exile, Nodes of Yesod, Sacrad Armour of Antiriad, the Magic Knight games to some extent, or even early 3D games like Driller or Mercenary, it's amazing how open and non-linear they were compared to a lot of modern games. I really miss that sense of exploration, and just being left alone to find your way through a new environment.

Originally posted by buzz909 View Post
                            Once Retro Gamer magazine had an April Fool (I assume it was) about a JSW Mario Kart style game for mobile phones. With various characters from the game sitting in the carts.
                            No, that's actually real.

Comment

I love JSW, in fact I am writing a new adventure for Willy .

Comment

Working...
                              X