Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Games everyone hates, but you lurrrrrvvve!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Games everyone hates, but you lurrrrrvvve!

Alright, confess...
    Which of you are secretly running home each night to play that game, you know, that one?

We all have a game we know is god damn awful, but something about it shines to us. Wether its the graphics, a spin off of a kids TV show you loved, or something thats hard to explain, lets hear it.

Ill start it off

I have two, both of which are released by the same developer.... Titus!
    Titus as we all know dont have the best reputation for making games, but there somethign about their games that I find charming. The two im refering to are:

Incantation (SNES) and Titus the Fox (Amiga, PC)

At the time of Titus the Fox, I was young and console-less. Anything that resembled Sonic or Mario was bound to appeal to me, I was craving platformers. I was teased everytime my parent dragged me to Currys/Dixons as at the back EVERY television on the back wall had Green Hill Zone on display.

I remember my parents got one of my friends for his birthday a PC Budget games pack with 5 games on. My friend however didnt have a powerful enough PC at the time to run these games. We offered to get him a new present and he ended up giving it back to us. At this point I got my hands on it and loaded up Titus the Fox.

I know it doesnt rate highly and it isnt the best game, but it was so charming at the time and a good compromise to wait until Christmas time came (off to the cousins, who had a Megadrive) or until I was a retro collecting freak with funds to waste!

Incantation is another. Its not the best known SNES game, however its very similar to the Amiga game Super Cauldron (which I also love).
    Most reviews ive read have given it under 5/10, but for me its a 7 plus.
    Platformers are my weakness, and this one is a mix of a shooter/platformer.

So lets hear it!

Omega Five on XBLA. Nobody on my friendslist has it or plays it. Its a great schmup and well worth 800pts.

Comment

Nice idea for a thread.
      I can't say I've played either f the games you mentioned but I will declare my undying love for FMV games. I know Road Avenger gets the odd mention on here but for me Tomcat Alley has to be the best. It's dialogue is hilarious as is the acting but I actually find the gameplay genuinely exciting. The fast paced nature of the game whereby you have only a few seconds to make a decision combined with the sight and sound of F-14s dodging SAMs and shooting down Migs really gets the heart pumping. I evenlove the grainy graphics despite the fact that they were slaughtered by reviewers at the time.

Comment

Super Runabout on the Dreamcast. Loved it from day one and still have a soft spot for it

Evidentally, everyone else thought it was ****...

Comment

Well, in general I don't hear many people who have much good to say for Buck Rogers: Countdown to Doomsday - not hardcore enough for the 'true' RPGers, and not simplistic enough for the action gamers I guess. In fact, I disliked it the first time I hired it from the dodgy video store round the corner (who did dirt cheap unlicensed videogame rentals). Having tried virtually everything else they had, my mate and I decided to give this a punt - and gave up in disgust after about an hour.

However, not wanting to have completely wasted our money, I took it back home with me and had the genius idea that I might actually read the instructions and try it again. Half an hour later, absolutely hooked. Took it back to my mate's the next day and showed him how to play it, and that was it. We were both hooked. Six years later, picked it up secondhand while at uni - and played through again, and enjoyed it just as much. Pretty sure I could do the same again today. I don't care if everyone else thinks it's ****. Or even just mediocre. I love it!

Comment

Originally posted by Oh_Mutants View Post
            Super Runabout on the Dreamcast. Loved it from day one and still have a soft spot for it

Evidentally, everyone else thought it was ****...
            That was a difficult one for me. I tried so hard to like it, but the handling was sooo different from the PS1 version, so much more weighty. I'm really glad you enjoyed it, though, had the patience to savour it fully.

The one on PS2, though, f*ckkkin INSULT!

Comment

Oh, I enjoy the Penny Racers/Choro Q games massively, despite the multitudinous online negative reviews, and the Victorious Boxers games will ALWAYS get more play time than the realistically-detailed EA boxing jobs, that are as much fun as lighting a match that won't light.
              Nobody gives a fart about them, but they are the snuggly best.

Comment

Trash It. Surprisingly good fun once you get to grips with the game's mechanics and make a little progress. Think most magazines slated it though (remember CVG giving it 1 out of 5).

Comment

Originally posted by bingo83 View Post
                  Omega Five on XBLA. Nobody on my friendslist has it or plays it.
                  I not only have it and have played it, but even now after having not played it for a year, i'm still rank 43 in the world at Arcade mode. Cracking game.

For me at the moment it's got to be the 360 port of Dodonpachi Daioujou. Everybody else is bent on selling it on, trading it in, absolutely hates it, i'm really really really loving it. O_o

Fire and Forget II I loved aswell, on the Titus theme...
                  Last edited by Silvergun X; 31-03-2009, 00:30.

Comment

(In dressing gown)

Ninja Warriors awesome musc, biblical

Enjoy the videos and music that you love, upload original content and share it all with friends, family and the world on YouTube.

Comment

I liked Extreme-G on the N64. Yes, I know.

A lot of my Wipeout-playing friends laughed at it but I really enjoyed it quite a bit. It wasn't the best racing game but it seemed so incredibly fast and was really fun. I even bought the strategy guide as it had a fairly good "making of" section and lots of profiles of the bikes. I even took to designing new bikes in my spare time, such was my obsession. The sequel was okay but I never took to it as much as I did with the original, particularly as F-Zero X had been released around then.

I haven't played it for years. I suspect that time hasn't been kind.

Comment

Originally posted by Decider-VT View Post
                        I liked Extreme-G on the N64. Yes, I know.
                        I also enjoyed it. The visuals were murky and not very nice really, but they did the job and the feeling of speed was satisfying. Not close to the excellence of F-ZeroX, but.. it was definitely a game worth owning.

I'm trying to think of some games that I like, that got a bad reception.? Will have to think hard about this one.

Comment

Golden Fighter (SFC)

Updated take of China Warrior/The Kung fu from PC Engine. GREAT music, ok so the fighting leaves something to be desired, but it's cool all round.

Seriously I have much to come ha.

Comment

Originally posted by Baseley09 View Post
                            Golden Fighter (SFC)

Updated take of China Warrior/The Kung fu from PC Engine. GREAT music, ok so the fighting leaves something to be desired, but it's cool all round.

Seriously I have much to come ha.
                            Last Battle. It has to be.

Comment

A few for me would be

Night Trap - Mega CD

Blue Stinger - Dreamcast

F1 Beyond The Limit - Mega CD

Daytona USA (Saturn AM#2 port)

Olympic Soccer - Saturn

Shinobi - Saturn

Pen Pen Tricleon - DC

Mortal Kombat Mythologies: Sub-Zero - PS . I should bloody hate the game , but its got that 'One more Go' syndrome
                              Last edited by Team Andromeda; 31-03-2009, 05:03.

Comment

Working...
                              X