[April] Shadow of the Colossus

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[April] Shadow of the Colossus

My first time at this and I reckon it's awesome. It totally overwhelms the power of the PS2, but it doesn't seem to matter.

The scale of the beasts is wonderous to behold and the tone of the game is nicely different, even from ICO.

Controls suck to begin with though. And I keep hitting the wrong button for grab.

Blummg 'ell, I envy you, charles. Playing this through innocent eyes, having yet to experience its achingly majestic beauty and melancholy atmosphere and all of its...?*ahem*.

Don't worry about the controls - like ICO, they are (I'd like to think) intentionally clumsy, almost disadvantageous as you battle with them, but its that battle against the odds that encapsulates a large part of what this game is about.

Same goes with the engine - sure it's pushing the system, but playing it is like experiencing an unforgettable hazy dream. Feel it, don't look.

Enjoy it. I can't return to this myself, though.

Comment

Shadow is close to being the absolute pinnacle of the art when it comes to videogame music.

Comment

Yeah i have the OST (and I almost never but videogame soundtracks), the open title theme, still gives me goosebumps every time that shamisen, a japanese banjo type thing (I think that's the instrument used) kicks in during the intro.

Comment

Keep hitting the wrong button and falling off still What a noob. You'd think I'd never played games before.

Comment

My wife makes me feel very guilty when I play this. As the Colossi fall, she says things like "Oh, that poor creature. How can you do that to it? What did it ever do to you?". It really makes me feel terrible. She knows it, too, cheeky mare.

Comment

SotC is an absolutely stunning game. It's a shame that the frame rate made me feel unbelievably I'll. I couldn't play past the third Collossi due to it making me feel sick.

One of very few games that has happened to me with.

One day I'll find a way!

Comment

I've been replaying this over the last few days without having actually realised there was a thread for it here. I've just done the 14th Colossi.

I'd still say it's the most impressive looking game I've ever played. The Colossi, and just the landscapes, are stunning.

Originally posted by gunrock View Post
                My wife makes me feel very guilty when I play this. As the Colossi fall, she says things like "Oh, that poor creature. How can you do that to it? What did it ever do to you?". It really makes me feel terrible. She knows it, too, cheeky mare.

I feel guilty every time I take down a Colossi as well. Well, with a few exceptions - the one

you have to lure onto the geysers

is a right bastard, and I didn't feel any guilt taking him down.

Comment

Originally posted by Flabio View Post
                  Shadow is close to being the absolute pinnacle of the art when it comes to videogame music.
                  I would agree but oddly I don't enjoy listening to the soundtrack separately from the visuals. I bought it as I loved the music when playing, but whenever a track from it comes up in my playlist I always skip it.

In the game, it's awesome... outside it doesn't seem to work as well. Just me?

Comment

I'm the same with many OSTs. Apart from Jet Set Radio.

Comment

I'm the same with many OSTs. Apart from Jet Set Radio.
                      And surely The Katamari Damashii double pack...'Katamari on ze shwing...etc. etc.'
                      3DS FC (updated 2015): 0447-8108-3129

Comment

Well I just finished this. I forgot how impressive the ending was.

A new game from Ueda can't come soon enough.

Comment

Not sure if this has been mentioned elsewhere, but Shadow of the Colossus Movie. How's that going to work, then? From the same writer as the recent Street Fighter movie, apparently.

Comment

Think it's mentioned in the Movies forum. But to answer your question: really, really badly I would think.

Comment

If they followed the "plot", it would be insanely boring. Ride horse. Kill giant. Ride horse. Kill giant. Why would this make a good basis for a film?

Comment

Working...
                              X