Sega Pico

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sega Pico

Anybody collect games for this obscure item? I'd love to hear any comments about it. Is it region locked? Are any of the games actually playable for adults? How is it to collect for, any particular rarities?

I remember my snootie aunt buying one of these for my (much younger) cousin when they were out, because they were 'educational'

From what I could tell, all the software was just overlays for a fancy etch-a-sketch that worked on the telly. IIRC the innards contained a slightly modified Mega Drive.

Comment

Cant believe I missed this thread. I did sorta collect for the Pico for a while as I kept finding them at the boot sale. I have around 8 of the UK games released, but decided to box them away... Lets face it, theyre not exactly games ud run home to play.

Theyre a real pain too. Out of the 10 or so units ive found, around 5 of them have had broken pens or were missing the sheet that slots into the drawing area.

Apart from my moans, theyre actually really nice systems. I couldnt help but notice it felt like an underpowered Megadrive. Is the hardware inside anything similar? *Goes to check wikipedia*

Maybe they will come out storage again at some point, if I ever have children. Get them started on the old school (Just for the record, thats a huge 'If')

Comment

In Japan the Pico is still very popular although it's not called the Sega Pico anymore. It's still made by Sega Toys though.

Yakumo

Comment

I collect for it, have 9 of the 10 PAL games, only a few of them are boxed though. They're of no real interest gaming wise to anyone older than about 7, even my 3 year old daughter isn't interested. She'd much rather play SMS/MD games.

Comment

In japan the pico has some wild acessories & i dont mean just a different pen. I'll scour yahoo auctions later to find pics but theres some pretty cool stuff that plugs into the pico, including a full kitchen that you can interact with hehe.

Comment

If your really serious in collecting for pico your going to love getting stuff from japan they supported it bigtime theres a hell of a lot of games & sets & a lot of charater branded pico machines too. Only the most hardcore of collectors would dare buy this stuff, lol a braver man than i, i know my limits

Anpanman Drivepico, slap a steering wheel on your pico

Not weird enough for you then how about the pico doctors clinic i **** you not

Pico hamster land

Cooking pico

Some odd beauty salon

Pico rescue parking

Comment

hmm. It does look tempting, but I don't think I could justify it cos there wouldn't even be the pretence of playing with it at some point, like there is with my games. I think if I had a kid, I could get it for his benefit, but then I remember I won't be letting my kid anywhere near all this japanese crap.

Jason, it was you that bought all the... marble.. things. I can't remember what they're called, it's like pythagoras switch. Are you dying for a lumidot set? I spent most of december looking for one, but they were all sold out. I eventually found one in tokyuu hans or some place, and it was over a hundred quid! It's only a glorified sodding lite brite. I wanted one for my girlfriend, cos they look amazing, but not for that money. Maybe when the economy recovers.

Comment

Ah yeah your thinking of those sets called Cological, yup that was me that got them. I have never heard of lumidot but after checking it out it indeed just looks like a expensive version of lite brite hehe i think i'll pass, i cant see why it would cost over ?100 unless it does something extremely special that a lite brite never did.

Cological on the other hand is rather cheap, even the most expensive set is only ?50 & you can make an obscene amount of very cool tracks. Its literally limited to how many ways you can think of using the pieces at one single component has a lot of uses.

Comment

Working...
                  X