Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The screenshot that sold an average game to you?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The screenshot that sold an average game to you?

For me, three spring to mind straight away, the scoring sequence in Basketball Nightmare on the SMS, I remember seeing a few pictures in C&VG ( or was it Mean Machines? ) and despite the game only recieving a fairly average score, the up close shot of a werewolf or a vampire jumping high to slam dunk looked amazing.

Also, the transformation in Altered Beast, I remember thinking this was the coolest thing at the time, as it turned out, the game wasn't a complete disappointment but certainly the transformation parts alone sold it to alot of my friends and I.

Thirdly, a better than average game granted but the bit in ESWAT where your man ranks up and gets his armour was pretty cool. I recall seeing this single screenshot in the C&VG Complete Guide to Consoles and that image of blue robo-cop with a gun arm! sent shivers down my spine.

And you?

I remember seeing a shot of Golden Axe 3 on the Mega Drive when I was a kid and both myself amd my best mate were totally amazed. We absolutely loved Golden Axe at the time and this looked like the ultimate installment. I think the screensot showed one of the characters riding around on the back of a scorpion; the graphics looked increadible. As the game never came out over here we never saw a copy in the shops and as such never played it. Years later, despite reading coutless revies that totally slate it, I still desperately want to get a copy and see for myself.

Comment

Dunno really, but I was desperate to buy Fantasia way back when despite all the magazines urging their readership not to do so.

Comment

I think it was an issue of CVG or something in which I saw the first couple of shots of Wind Waker, one with what looked like a Link to the Past/Link's Awakening style tree, and one with Link turning toward the camera. His perfectly detailed Hylian shield, his stubby little feet in their boots, his floppy blond hair, and the bright colours sold me instantly, and I hated all the wazzocks cussing it for not being that piece of **** cg battle with Ganondorf they released at the cube launch. Thank christ they never made a game with that crappy realistic style, or it would have been utter ****. Oh, wait...

Comment

haha,

I remember seeing a screenshot of SF3 in 97 when it came out, and not playing it until 5 yrs later

I don't think I've yearned to play anything else so much in my life, I have a perculiar amount of love for the first in the series because of it.

Comment

Originally posted by BigDeadFreak View Post
            I remember seeing a shot of Golden Axe 3 on the Mega Drive when I was a kid and both myself amd my best mate were totally amazed. We absolutely loved Golden Axe at the time and this looked like the ultimate installment. I think the screensot showed one of the characters riding around on the back of a scorpion; the graphics looked increadible. As the game never came out over here we never saw a copy in the shops and as such never played it. Years later, despite reading coutless revies that totally slate it, I still desperately want to get a copy and see for myself.
            When I saw a postage stamp-sized screenie for Golden Axe 2 in Mean Machines I stared at it for hours. I can't recall wanting a game as much as I wanted that.

Comment

Screenshots in Mean Machine could make any game look amazing. I remember seeing the Snes Ultraman shots and wanting that game so badly. I finally bought it 4 or 5 years ago............

...and .........

meh.

Comment

for me road avenger and cobra command sold me the Mega cd

loved them in the day and even now they are worth a quick play

Comment

Rise of the Robots ... got an 90%+ review in CD32 gamer back then......

Comment

Secret of Mana. At first to me it just looked meh. Borrowed it off a mate and I didn't give it back! Turned out to be my most fav game ever to this day. And I have since bought 3 more copies, 1 of them on the VC.

Comment

Tintin in Tibet.....I learnt the hard way.

Comment

Originally posted by Zaki Matar View Post
                        Tintin in Tibet.....I learnt the hard way.
                        Holy cow, that was poor. I don't know if I would've had the courage to try again after that.

Comment

Originally posted by TheForce View Post
                          Rise of the Robots ... got an 90%+ review in CD32 gamer back then......
                          Perhaps the title of the topic should be changed to 'the screenshot that sold you utter dog****e'.

Comment

the Rocketeer for the snes....thought the pics in superplay were well smart, but ultimately after 15 mins of play

Comment

A screenshot for War in Middle Earth on the Amiga. The actual game was total meh.

Comment

Working...
                              X