Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

To those who think the Megadrive's sound chip is dodgy...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

To those who think the Megadrive's sound chip is dodgy...

Listen to this arrangement that uses original MD hardware, courtesy of TmEE at Sega-16:

And if you like that here are some more remixed tracks:

Personally I think the Guile remix sounds even better than the arcade version. Surely this is proof that the MD sound chip was far more capable in the right hands?

Edit: the BIN file in the second download needs to be played on an emulator/real hardware.
    Last edited by samanosuke; 30-04-2009, 11:44.

Yes, the Mega Drive is a fantastic sounding machine. It's unfortunate that most western developers used a really ****e sound engine developed in the US. I can't remember the name of it now but it's the same one used in about 80% of western made games.

TmEE is quite a talented guy who can get some nice sounds out of the MD with his sound engine. I wouldn't say it's the best but it is very good.

Yakumo

Comment

It's too late to worry about this now, The SNES kicked the mega drive's butt in terms of sound and just about everything elso too

Comment

I thought Yuzo Koshiro proved how decent the MD's sound chip was in the right hands? We've all played Streets of Rage, I assume!

The SF2 example is a good one though, it's better than the arcade.

Comment

Originally posted by Shakey_Jake33 View Post
          The SF2 example is a good one though, it's better than the arcade.
          ...but not better than the SNES version according to yesteryear!

Comment

Originally posted by samanosuke View Post
            ...but not better than the SNES version according to yesteryear!

touch? (here comes another Snes v Md fight)

Comment

Originally posted by yesteryeargames View Post
              It's too late to worry about this now, The SNES kicked the mega drive's butt in terms of sound and just about everything elso too
              Quit the trolling. This is a discussion of the Megadrive sound chip, not childish fanboy rivalry. It is a highly subjective area but I for one prefer the Megadrive's sound chip despite it technical inferiority. Most if not all of my favourate 16bit tunes came out of the Megadrive. Games like Gynoug, Hellfire, Zerowing, Gleylancer, Alisia Dragoon, SOR2 are exampes of how good the Megadrive can sound when well programmed.

Comment

I love Growl/Runark on the megadrive. This may be a poor example as I know this is considered way inferior (to Arcade)..but I'm pretty sure it has extra notes in some of the stages soundtracks...regardless...I think its ****ing brilliant.

Comment

In other ways to get music from the megadrive..

Enjoy the videos and music that you love, upload original content and share it all with friends, family and the world on YouTube.

Comment

There's some great tunes that have come off the old MD sound chip , I loved the Ghost N Ghouls soundtrack , more than any other, the like of Mickey Mouse , John Madden (just love the intro music ) Battle Squadron, Altered Beast, Super Hang On, Gynoug, Quackshot , ToeJam all had great music scores . Sonic music score is simple stunning and seems to match exactly what happens on screen , worlds fail me for Elemental Master end credits music .

And Revenge Of Shinobi and Streets Of Rage II is about as good as it gets . Also people forget how the likes of Sport Talksport Football , was a true world 1st

Comment

Originally posted by Yakumo View Post
                      Yes, the Mega Drive is a fantastic sounding machine. It's unfortunate that most western developers used a really ****e sound engine developed in the US. I can't remember the name of it now but it's the same one used in about 80% of western made games.
                      GEMS

Personally I think the Megadrive suffered somewhat for the time it was popular in. During the 80's most computer musicians were also programmers, this was good as they could write their own sound engines and usually understood the methods of synthesis that particular sound chips used. This seemed to change in the early 90's with more and more computer musicians having little skill as sound designers or programmers (despite sometimes excellent composition skills), and led to more and more sample based music or, as is the case on the Megadrive, overuse of stock presets. To get the best out of the Megadrive a musician had to be a good sound designer, and by the time the rivalry between it and the SNES was at its height most didn't seem to be.

Interestingly similar things happened regarding electronic sounds in the music industry around the late 80's and early 90's as well. There was an explosion in the use of samples and presets, and little in the way of original sound creation.
                      Last edited by Silanda; 30-04-2009, 23:32.

Comment

Originally posted by ShadowDancer View Post
                        In other ways to get music from the megadrive..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gfGzZSq4dH8
                        Megadriver are awesome.

Theres loads of soundtracks on the Megadrive that are fanastic, far too many to mention but as already said by TA, Elemental Master is incredible, Super Fantasy Zone is another good one. I love the Landstalker tracks though, probably because it's my favourite Megadrive game but Climax really did a great job with that soundtrack, so many memorable tunes.

Comment

Elemental Master is one of my faves soundtrack wise, as is Devil Crash. I love the Technosoft and Yuzo Koshiro MD tunes.

Comment

I cannot argue that the SNES had a technically better sound chip but the limitations of the MD's sound gave its games a certain stripped-down, pure electronic feel. The SNES could easily do organic, natural-sounding music (see Actraiser, Castlevania IV etc.) but the MD couldn't (well, not without a massive struggle). Instead, you've got all these weird, jazz-fusiony soundtracks on Jap shooters and platformers and RPG-types, with bouncy bass bits and burbling synth twinkles.

It's not worse than the SNES's sound chip, it's just different. We are allowed to have dual preferences for things, and though I am occasionally tempted by the trollish lure of fanboyism, I am quite certain it is the refuge of scoundrels.

Comment

Originally posted by Pharfetchd View Post
                              Megadriver are awesome.

Theres loads of soundtracks on the Megadrive that are fanastic, far too many to mention but as already said by TA, Elemental Master is incredible, Super Fantasy Zone is another good one. I love the Landstalker tracks though, probably because it's my favourite Megadrive game but Climax really did a great job with that soundtrack, so many memorable tunes.

Good post,forgot how ace Landstalker is with gameplay and tracks,I personally like Gleylancer and Castle of illusion...Awesome stuff

Comment

Working...
                              X