things you say shouldnt have been possible

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

things you say shouldnt have been possible

must have happened to everyone at some point...started playing a game...or loading up a game and something happens that makes you wonder "how did they get this on my console/computer "

Few things i remember was flashback.....awesome opening cutscene...kept watching it over and over again

red zone the fmv bit

most sensible softwares games the opening theme tunes

The only thing I can remember seeing and literally freaking out, shouting "this is not possible, what the **** is going on" was when I first played Doom on the gba, truly amazing seeing full 3d gameplay on a handheld like that.

Comment

I might be missing the point a little, but dying on a particular stage of a game and rather than you having to do that part again, it puts you past it. It happened to my playing Tomb Raider Underworld just last night. (the game is pretty buggy anyway)

Comment

I was impressed by the tunnel sequence of Stardust on the Amiga...

Comment

Some of Mine would be

Adv Of Batman And Robin - Mega Drive (Stage 3) Oh on earth John O'Brien did all that multiple sprite 360 degree rotation I'll never now

Virtual Cop/SEGA Rally Saturn -VC Just took the piss with a near perfect port of a Model 2 game , and SR was simply amazing , for a machine that couldn't do 3D .

Adv Batman And Robin MEGA CD FMV - It just amazed me as it was near Saturn/PS FMV quality

O.TO.GI II XBox - I think its the 2nd level when you need to kill the spiders , the action and graphics, really did make me shout out loud ' F-ing Hell'

Shenmue DC- The Face demo's , still to this day just look stunning

GoldenEye N64- The music , most N64 games sounded like sh8t , but GE not only sounded amazing , it had a music score to rival anything on the Sat/PS, more so on the Train Level

Greatest Heavyweights/EH Boxing Mega Drive- I still impressed by the rotating crowd effect on the background

GT 4 PS2 - How on earth do PD make a PS2 car game , look almost as good as 360 or PS3 games ????

Comment

Soul Calibur on the Dreamcast. I've done Dreamcast coding and I've still no idea how they managed it.

Comment

Seeing the screenshots in magazines for the GBC version of Resident Evil 1 (or even the video online nowadays) screams out the word HOW!?

Comment

To be honest I don't think that GBC Resident Evil is doing anything special. It's basically a load of 2D art with 2D sprites. The only cleaver bit is the character scaling but then again that's easily done with cleaver programming.

Yakumo

Comment

GBC Resi was one of those things that looked incredible in screenshots, but didn't quite hold up in motion. Didn't GBA AitD do something similar?

Comment

The video quality isn't that great but this is still obviously impressive. Just look at the number of sprites and the animated backgrounds - running on a Famicom / NES!

After seeing this video I'm interested in looking for a copy myself. It is extremely rare and expensive though!

Comment

Comment

I always thought Starglider 2 on the Amiga was pretty astonishing at the time. We'd had 3D worlds before - Mercenary, Driller and that sort of thing - but this was on another level. A full solar system with the freedom to go anywhere. It was amazingly atmospheric too despite the flat shaded 3D. Even the music was so much better than anything I'd heard on a computer before then.

Similarly, Starblade in the arcades was an amazing experience. The full sitdown with radio chatter and explosions all around you coupled with the incredibly smooth 3D graphics on a big screen just seemed amazing.

Comment

ohhh one thing i thought was impossible
                          elite 2 on the amiga HOW ON EARTH DID THEY GET ALL THAT ON ONE FLOPPY DISK

Comment

It's probably very simple but I was always wowed by the bonus levels in Sonic 2 as a kid.

Comment

NOOOO! those levels were ****. I guess it was nice to see anything psuedo-3D at the time, but in retrospect, they look like ass and are simply not fun. Compare that to the bonus levels in Sonic 1, and there's no argument, they win hands down. But that's off topic.

I too was bowled over by the screenshots of Resi GBC and I was sorely disappointed when they scrapped it. Alone in the Dark probably looked better, objectively (those resi shots were pretty blocky), but I'd grown up with Resi, and seeing it ported to an 8bit handheld would have been nothing short of miraculous. I guess we got resi ds in the end.

Should probably give a shout out to monkey ball jr, although appearing a little late in the gba's life, I was still shocked at how they had basically recreated a Gamecube so faithfully on the handheld. I only came to fully appreciate it though when I began playing it properly a couple of months ago, so the 'OMFG' aspect had diminished somewhat.

Comment

Working...
                              X