Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Official Nintendo Sticker Album (UK - 1992)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Official Nintendo Sticker Album (UK - 1992)

Ugh, those were some terrible thunder storms tonight. I was about to play some games, but the worrier within in me decided not to risk a bolt hitting our house and frying whatever console I had on at the time. Whether or not it can happen, Id rather not risk it. So instead, I decided to do something creative. I decided on scanning some retro goodies in.

The first thing that popped into my mind was one of my personal treasures, the Official Nintendo Sticker Album. This is a Sticker Book that was available in newsagents across the UK in 1992. It cost 50p for the Album and 30p (If I remember correctly) for a pack of 6 stickers.

Bit of a backstory... I was 6 in 1992 and my only encounters with Nintendo or Sega were at friends or relatives houses. Unfortunately, my parents didnt have much money. Instead we had a Commodore Amiga and got a budget game every now and then. Considering cartridges were ?50+ back then, it was a very wise idea. But before I go on, dont get me wrong, the Amiga is still one of my all time favourite platforms and I believe it doesnt get the recognision it deserves.
    Anyways, in '92 I had begun swimming lessons at the local pool. It was one weekday after school and I hated it. But the one thing id always look forward to afterwards is going to the small newsagents round the corner on the way home hoping Mum would buy me a some sweets.

Although one evening we arrived at the Newsagents, what did I see on the bottom shelf where all the stickers were? A sticker book with Mario on the front! I got incredibly excited and began to beg like any child would for something so amazing. I was lucky enough to get the album and a few packs of stickers that night. I was over the moon, I finally owned something Nintendo! Although my album only had about 12 stickers in, it was something special.
    Everytime from there on, I no longer hated swimming lessons as I knew I might be in luck for another pack of stickers.

Unfortunately, before I even got chance to finish my album (I was a long long way off), the shop no longer sold the stickers. I couldnt find them anywhere else either. Swimming became a chore again and everything was back to normal.
    It was such a shame really. I still remember the distinct sweet smell the stickers had when you opened them a memory I really miss.

Fast forward to a few years ago. I found my old sticker book in the garage and all the memories came flooding back. I proceeded straight to eBay to hunt for another Sticker album as mine was absolutely battered. (If anyone requests, I can show you the sad state its in).
    I eventually found unopened sticker packs, loose sticker and finally... a completed album!

Where as this might appear to some as 'just a sticker book', I totally understand. However to me, this is one of my personal treasures (along with my old battered album too). Ive finally got round to scanning it in as its about time it got preserved and shared with the world.

I hope you lot enjoy it as it took quite a while to scan it all in. Feel free to distribute this as id like it to be preserved and enjoyed as much as ive enjoyed it over the years.

Adam

Click here to download

I've also uploaded a much higher resolution version to underground-gamer here in cbr format:

This is awesome

I was 10 when this book was out and I remember swapping the stickers in my lunch time at school. 50p for the book as well - you can barely buy a newspaper for that these days! I also remember poring over the Game Boy pages a lot. I was absolutely obsessed with the Game Boy at the time, probably because my family couldn't afford to buy one

I'm pretty surprised they printed that Level 3 map for Zelda BTW...

Comment

I liked that story I never really collected stickers for books as my mum didn't have the money for that either, but did go through a Garbage Pail Kids phase with others in the playground.

Comment

You were six in 1992? God that makes me feel old (I was 19). Needless to say I was collecting stickers then, which is a shame as it looks amazing.

Comment

I had this sticker book! IIRC I was only missing two stickers otherwise the whole book was complete. Almost forgot about this until now! Perhaps I'll go and look for it I got it somewhere.

Comment

Originally posted by gaanbo View Post
            I had this sticker book! IIRC I was only missing two stickers otherwise the whole book was complete. Almost forgot about this until now! Perhaps I'll go and look for it I got it somewhere.
            Let me know which two as I have a stack of unused stickers and would love to help out if possible.

Just incase anyone decided they wanted this album, there is one on eBay at the moment:

Comment

Love this thread!

This is one of my personal treasures as well as I've got such fond memories of collecting for it. I distinctly remember lying on a chalet floor when I was at Pontins as a little kid, peeling off stickers and putting them in! Nowadays it's in my cupboard all wrapped up so it doesn't get damaged!

Would love to find some unopened sticker packs

Comment

I was 10 in 1992. I had this book and remember drooling over the stickers and wishing I had an NES instead of a C64. It was another eight years before I ended up with one!

Comment

Glad to hear we were both in the same both then Ash! Although wishing we didnt have Commodore computers, I think we need to admit that they were the machines that set us off into this gaming madness

Comment

Holy ****, you have some stickers still?
                    I have this album upstairs, brought it back from glasgow with me as I loved it so much
                    Was only missing a few stickers myself.
                    So nice to see it again and someone who has a complete one, ah the good ole days.

Comment

Originally posted by Family Fry View Post
                      Holy ****, you have some stickers still?
                      I have this album upstairs, brought it back from glasgow with me as I loved it so much
                      Was only missing a few stickers myself.
                      So nice to see it again and someone who has a complete one, ah the good ole days.
                      Let me know which stickers youre missing and I might be able to help you finish your book I have around 50 loose stickers.

Comment

Working...
                      X