game gear fans?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

game gear fans?

There are people on here who are vocal about their love for Sega's overlooked machines, like the mega cd and the 32x, but I don't remember anyone mentioning being a fan of the game gear, other than one person I think with a complete collection. The other day a friend game me his old game gear and a handful of carts. I haven't had a game gear since I was about 10 (when they were current gen), and of all the consoles I've ever owned, it was the only one I ever sold. I've mostly been playing what I consider to be the GG's best game, Cosmic Spacehead (also one of the best games ever full stop), which I bought out of nostalgia about a year ago in anticipation of a jap GG (which turned out to be knackered). I have a mind to buy back some of the other classics I enjoyed as a kid, like Marble Madness, Cool Spot, Robocod, but there actually wasn't a vast amount of games that were really good, least not in my collection. So I was wondering if anyone on here is a big GG fan, and what games should I be after?

I've got to say though, the ergonomy of the GG is superb, it's just the perfect size for gripping onto, nice and bulky. The screen is also very good for the era, and I've even been surprised at how long the batteries have lasted, considering I've played a bit of Prince of Persia, Sonic 1 and 2, and I've almost finished Cosmic Spacehead on one set. Although, the sound is on the way out I think, it's very very quiet; could that prolong the battery life somewhat? I believe the sound on old GGs is very temperamental, right? I'm just glad the screen is all cool, but in the future I'd like to get one that is fully functional.

I used to love that Lillehammer winter olympics game.

Comment

GG Shinobi is IMO is the best Shinobi game ever made...

Unlike most GG games, this wasnt a squished down SMS game, it was something unique that really would have helped sell the SMS.
      Although I never owned one (when I was younger), seeing the opening level ontop of the cars was a real jaw dropping scene for me.

Still trying to track down the Game Gear Megaman game. (By track, I mean justify the price tag!)

And yeah, count me as a big fan!

Comment

I thought the GameGear was pants myself , and its D-pad and button dire and hurt my hands , and the screen wasn't up to much either . I will say I liked the Shinobi games on it though , but I would have rather them made onthe Master System

Comment

Et tu, Team Andromeda?

Comment

I loved the game gear, if someone would make a decent battery pack for it now I'd probably go get one Lots of fun games AND the master system adaptor!!! <3

I loved the sonic games, slider (Some weird puzzle game with a little furry guy moving about chaning colour of blocks) klax etc

Comment

It was the best handheld around at the time, in terms of quality software. It basically gave you the vast majority of the Master System's lineup in a handheld. If it had longer battery life, didn't need 6 AA's and was closer to the size of a Megadrive controller, it would have been a winner.

Comment

I had a Game Gear when I was growing up. I have no affinity for it really; my most endearing memory is staying up and watching Married with Children on itv with the tv tuner.

Comment

MY first proper console purchase it was....... oh the memories. My one still works too lol! I recently got given a lod of game from a lady friend as she was cleaning out her room. Got a free TV tuner for my troubles as well.

As much as i liked GG shinobi, i think GG Shinobi 2 was technically better.........

from memory Berlin Wall was probably my fave........

You can emulate the entire library now, but nothing beats the genuine article....... hell Haley Wars was fun for a standard shoot em up!

I loved my Game Gear to death! I despised the Western packaging but adored teh tiny jap ones....... Piracy was rife with handheld carts back then with multiple games in one cart at the click of a button!

Thinking back I only retired the GG when i found the joys of a home console when i finally go the SNES! I aint looked back to handhelds till the DS came out........

Comment

I had one with a flat screen effect the only other ones i ever saw were curved, I remember christmas the year I got it, Castle of illusion and galaga '90. Ah memories

**anyone know why the screen on mine was different??**

Comment

My screen is the same as yours - but my GG is a jap version which came out a year or so earlier. Maybe a model change before it hit the western shores?

There was a limited edition white version too.

Comment

Originally posted by evilthecatuk View Post
                        I had one with a flat screen effect the only other ones i ever saw were curved, I remember christmas the year I got it, Castle of illusion and galaga '90. Ah memories

**anyone know why the screen on mine was different??**
                        My Japanese machine had a flat screen. The curved screen was on the western versions as a sort of screen magnifier.

Comment

The thing that hurts the Game Gear now is the lack of exclusives. Most of the games can be picked up on the Master System, and playing these games on the big screen with a proper controller is much more enjoyable.

That said, the GG Alestes, both Shinobis and Berlin Wall make the GG still worth owning.

Comment

what's this berlin wall?

Comment

Fun little quirky game - was a jap release only i think. Ive completed it many times in the past........ IIRC i still have the game as a whole. Yay me!

Last edited by 112; 04-06-2009, 15:39.

Comment

Working...
                              X