MS games superior to their MD counterparts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

MS games superior to their MD counterparts

As stated in the title, what Master System games are regarded as better than the Mega Drive versions, recently got a MS converter for my MD so looking at picking up a few games for it, the only ones I can recall at the minute though is California Games and I remember some saying Castle of Illusion was better on MS.

Rastan for SMS pisses on Rastan Saga 2.

Comment

I found Sonic the Hedgehog by Ancient to be vastly superior to the MD version. The same probably goes for Shinobi, although the MD version is simply a sequel.

Comment

Alex kidd in miracle world - the best of the series

Bubble bobble - the best version of all released IMO. 200 levels, extra 'items' and secret doors etc, great music. MD version is weird

Comment

I'd second the above, MS Sonic and Bubble Bobble are better than the MD versions.
          Add to that Tekmagic's awesome port of Populous which is the best version of the game period. Also Castle of Illusion is better on the MS as well. I think the MD version is too much of a tech demo. The MS version is one of the greatest platformers ever IMHO.

Comment

Yeah, I preferred the SMS version of COI too but as it was the first version I played I thought that might be the reason why I prefer it. Although I love the MD version, when I first played it I couldn't help but wonder what all this apple throwing nonsense was about and why I couldn't pick up any blocks.

Comment

The question should be which games aren't better on SMS.

Columns I'd add to the mix.

Comment

I don't agree that the MS version of Sonic is better than the MD original but it is brilliant.

It's far more puzzle centric and a nice alternative to the far less taxing, yet beautiful, Mega Drive counterpart.

The waterfall level is my favourite and the scrolling screen scramble up the cliff is one of my favourite sections of any Master System game.

Does anyone remember the section where you can run on a floating log, to cross the open water, and grab the Emerald that's hidden on the other side? Wonderfull touch.

Comment

The music for Scrap Brain Zone on the SMS version is awesome.

Enjoy the videos and music that you love, upload original content and share it all with friends, family and the world on YouTube.
                  Last edited by sj33; 09-06-2009, 21:07.

Comment

SMS versions of sonic are a lot more challenging than the MD versions which are fairly easy in comparison.

I don't know if it had a Megadrive release but Putt and Putter was an excellent minigolf game I love it. Hope it comes to VC.

Shouldn't this thread just be a MS reccomendations thread instead?

Wonder boy 1-3 are much better on the SMS if you ask me

Comment

The Mk-III version of Phantasy Star is better the MD version because it uses the FM sound chip.

Comment

Originally posted by CMcK View Post
                        I'd second the above, MS Sonic and Bubble Bobble are better than the MD versions.
                        Add to that Tekmagic's awesome port of Populous which is the best version of the game period. Also Castle of Illusion is better on the MS as well. I think the MD version is too much of a tech demo. The MS version is one of the greatest platformers ever IMHO.
                        Bubble Bobble on Megadrive?? Was that a bootleg or something? Have to say SMS version was stunning though with 100 extra levels and extra bosses.

I agree with the views on Sonic, the Megadrive version was too easy and SMS version much more challenging.

I think Outrun is better on the SMS than the MD.

Comment

Yeah Bubble Bobble megadrive is unofficial.

The Sonics on Master System were great games, but come on, the megadrive graphics and sound on its versions were part era defining.

Comment

California Games on the SMS was the title I was going to add, it's better, has more events and more moves. Novotrades Megadrive port is poor in comparison.

Comment

I preffered Sonic 1 on the MS myself too, i just found it alot more brighter in the colour department. Even though the visuals were inferior, i don't know it just had more charm and character to me in the SMS version and you get Sonic singing on a mic, that blew my junior school mind! Although the ending credits haven't aged as good as i remember them looking back now.

Shame the follow ups weren't up to the same amount of cop. Sonic 2 on the MD is one of my favourite games ever. Although the music in sonic 1 on the MD was wonderful, no one can forget this magical tune!
                              Enjoy the videos and music that you love, upload original content and share it all with friends, family and the world on YouTube.
                              Last edited by SuperBeatBoy; 09-06-2009, 23:07.

Comment

Working...
                              X