Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm having trouble with a 32x :(

Hi

I've got an early MD1 which I understand could be the cause of the problem, before I go on the hunt for a replacement kit I'd like some advice

Just picked up my first 32x, came with an RF lead, the AV connector cable and MD1 AV converter for the connector cable. Picked up a MD2 PSU for it and only just got to try it today. It doesn't work properly though

It's connected up as follows, MD and 32x both have their own PSUs, AV out on MD goes to AV IN on 32x, 32x AV OUT to telly. I don't have any of the metal plates for the MD cart slot to connect up though.

I got absolutely no picture output on it at all that's if I plug a MD or 32x game in, if I plug headphones into the MD then I can hear the sound on both MD and 32x games.

I then tried a MD2 RGB cable which I know works. This time I do get part of an image with 32x games, it's very very black, it seems that whatever should be in glorious 32x 3D is all black, and the 2D part of the image generated by the MD is all grey.

Which should I try first, bearing in mind I'd have to buy/borrow these as I don't have spares?

Newer MD
    Another 32x
    MD to 32x AV connector cables

Any help, advice appreciated

ta
    Pete

This may sound daft, but have you tried giving the cart cart slot and 32x contacts a good clean?

I've had a few 32X's that have been a bit dodgy, but a good clean normally sorts em out.

Comment

IMHO it sounds like some part of the 32x's video output isn't working, ideally you could do with testing another 32x. The problem could be the connection between the MD and the 32x, but as far as I am aware the 32x won't run unless it's genlocked to the MD's output. If 32x games are running then it sounds like it's recieving the signal, plus you should still get the 32x generated stuff properly displayed.

EDIT: On reflection I'm not too about the genlocking part, but the last sentence still stands.
      Last edited by Silanda; 15-06-2009, 18:12.

Comment

I went back and re-cleaned contacts earlier to see if it made a difference, it didn't

Whilst I was having a look at it, I noticed what might be a broken pin on the connector for one of the ribbon cables. it's near the resistor (that you can see through the cart slot) that connects to the same ribbon cable connector .

Unfortunately you can't see the the pins I'm on about without taking the console apart. I don't suppose anyone knows if the pin is meant to be missing? It's in the attached photo, it's pin B8 if you follow along from B1.

Ta
        Pete
        Attached Files

Comment

This may sound strange but just let the 32X run for a couple of hours with a game in. I had problems with my 32X when I first bought, it was displaying massive graphic’s corruptions on all the game I tried MD & 32X, oddly enough the 32X CD game I had worked perfectly but nothing else did.

I can’t remember where I saw it but I remember seeing a few people saying that if a 32X hasn’t been played in a long time it won’t work correct till it’s recharged one of the internal components.

So we left the 32X on for about 5 hours and after that it jumped back into life and has worked perfectly ever since.

Comment

Sounds interesting - I'll give that a go this weekend, cheers for the suggestion

Pete

Comment

Looks like the 32x is a duffer. I actually picked up a second one and that works no problem with the same MD1 and all the same cables. I left the original one on for most of yesterday but it's still not ouputting the correct graphics.

Oh, and that missing pin is meant to be missing so it's not that.

Cheers anyway, at least I have a working one now
              Pete

Comment

Working...
              X