Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

For anyone who owns Death & Return of Superman PAL MD

Hi
    I appreciate this is one of the rarest MegaDrive PAL releases and not everyone has a copy kicking around but if you do, I wondered whether you could help me!
    I have now been lucky enough to have two copies of this pass through my hands. However, neither have worked properly so I'm trying to figure out whether I'm just unlucky or whether the problem is with the game itself. One of the carts freezes during level 3. The other freezes whenever it feels like it; the furthest I've got is level 3 as well. And before you ask, I have cleaned both carts and played both carts on two completely different MegaDrive setups.
    If you have a copy if you could play it through as best/far as you can it would be much appreciated and let me know if you have any problems. I'm not asking you to play it hundreds of times or complete it; just as good as you have time for!
    Any help much appreciated!

Ill have a look for you tonight on this Quite a request though, an awful awful game

However too add, my Streets Of Rage 3 does exactly the same as above, freezing at random. Not best pleased!
    I made a ROM dump of SoR3 and got Chaoticjelly to check it against the ROMs on the net. They were exactly the same if i remember correctly...

Do you have a 32x plugged into your Megadrive, or are you running your MD in 60hz? It might have something to do with the problem.

Comment

I thought the death and return of superman was mediocre but certainly not awful. It's certainly better than the other terrible superman game on the megadrive. Perhaps it feels awful if spend £100 odd on it but I'd say it's probably an above average Megadrive game with pretty good graphics and animation plus gameplay that's reasonable in short bursts as it is horribly repetitive.

Comment

Originally posted by Cauterize View Post
        Ill have a look for you tonight on this Quite a request though, an awful awful game

However too add, my Streets Of Rage 3 does exactly the same as above, freezing at random. Not best pleased!
        I made a ROM dump of SoR3 and got Chaoticjelly to check it against the ROMs on the net. They were exactly the same if i remember correctly...

Do you have a 32x plugged into your Megadrive, or are you running your MD in 60hz? It might have something to do with the problem.
        No 32x plugged in and it's running in 50hz. Thanks a lot Cauterize. It's a pretty bad game I agree :P

Comment

If I recall, I had a Death and Return cart running on my standard MD and I didn't have any issues with it, I played 3 or 4 levels into it, I think past the elevator scene.

Comment

Mine freezes every now and again but its not that regular.

Zag

Comment

Just to let you know, I haven't forgot to test for you just been a little busy the last few days. I'll have a good look for you tomorrow

Comment

I've not played it recently, but had this exact same issue - freezes on level 3. I tried it on several PAL Mds / Nomad (actually got a bit sick of playing through it repeatedly) but every time it died without fail (heh). Assumed it was just a broken copy - irritating, but not that bothersome as it only cost me ?10ish (not ?100ish!)

Wonder if the knowledge of this being a common problem will affect the ridiculous evilbay prices at all? (doubt it )

Comment

I don't think it would affect the prices on eBay. If you're buying the game, you're buying to collect it, not to play it. And let's face it, there are a hell of a lot of better games to be playing lol.

Comment

I've had 3 copies and they have all frozen now and again on around level 3 or 4. I thought it was an alright game too, I especially liked that you could fly. Pretty hard to complete with the freezing issue though

Comment

Interesting. Any news Cauterize?

Comment

You know what, I actually played this on Friday night and forgot to report back to you!

Well, youve actually got it better than me. Like my SoR3, the game also freezes at random early on into the game.

Im going to look into the problem a little further soon though as im concerned that my Megadrive or 32X is causing a few problems.

Comment

Sort of off-topic but can anyone explain why this game is so rare? I'm struggling to find any info on it.

Comment

Originally posted by Kaladron View Post
                            Sort of off-topic but can anyone explain why this game is so rare? I'm struggling to find any info on it.
                            As far as im aware, small print run, late release. (plus its rubbish)

Mind you almost most PAL Sunsoft games fall under this category. (not the rubbish part)
                            Last edited by Cauterize; 05-02-2010, 13:04.

Comment

I figured as much. No unusual story then. Ho hum.

Comment

Working...
                              X