Games You Love That Everyone Else Hates

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Games You Love That Everyone Else Hates

Not sure if this is a topic that's been covered before but I've been playing Fist of the North Star/Last Battle on the Mega Drive and it's made me think about other games that I like that are generally regarded as terrible.

Last Battle is pretty poor, but it holds a special place in my heart because I bought it at a time when the SNES was getting its exclusive conversion of my favourite coin-op Final Fight, and I was desperate for something similar on the MD...while Last Battle wasn't exactly the same I guess the diliberately similar Western title (Last Battle...Final Fight...ahem) made me think it might be.

The game is basic and stupidly hard, but I love it all the same. Lovely music too.

Another game I love is Dangerous Seed. This was slagged off to high heaven when it was released but I still enjoy playing it. Great boxart, too.

I actually love Final Fight Revenge. For some reason, ever since I bought a Saturn, I had this inexplicable urge to get it, knowing full well that it was supposed to be ****e and being warned off it loads of times. I've not felt a similiar compulsion to buy any of the other more expensive Saturn games- Silvergun, for example, I couldn't give two hoots about- but I just had to have it. I'm not even particularly a fan of the Final Fight series. I mean, Final Fight is as special for me as the next person who played it in the video shop or whatever, but I'm not fanatical about it.

And when it came, although I was expecting total disappointment (and it took a while until I could find it at a price I was willing to pay), I found it totally compelling. FFS, how can you not love a game where one of the characters turns into a police car briefly as a special move? Love it.

I also highly rate Dungeon Master: Nexus on the Saturn despite not having a f ucking clue what's going on. This I attribute to the mild obsession I had with Dungeon Master as a youth.

Comment

SF3: New Generation. I'll always have a soft spot for it despite its downfalls, and the sequels being so much better.

Comment

Last Battle is brilliant.

As is Golden Fighter.

And The Kung Fu.

Comment

Sonic Spinball - I'm a sucker for pinball games.

Comment

A bit of a bump, but this game made me think of this topic.

Resident Evil Survivor 2: Code Veronica.

I don't really understand the hate for this game, to the extent that it was refused a US release. It's a fun little side-companion to Code Veronica that is very playable and top stuff, especially given it's an arcade port. I can understand critisism of it's price point - it is little more than a Mercinaries-style minigame and should have been sold at ~£9.99. But if any Code Veronica fans see this game at around that price point, it's really fun. The 'Chronicles' series expands on the concept however, and I am a fan of that spinoff series. I'm all for spinoffs, they're a way of having a bit of fun without effecting the rest of the series.

As for Last Battle, I used to play the Japanese version on a Japanese Megadrive back in 'the day', fun stuff, even if I used to die at the first proper 'boss'.
            Last edited by sj33; 12-09-2009, 01:04.

Comment

I posted this in a similar thread ages ago. But as a kid I loved the MK franchise and played the crap out of MK3/UMK3, I appreciate its limited but I enjoyed it all the same.

The big WTF moment comes from the fact I adored and still quite like, Mortal Kombat Mythologies: Sub Zero on the PS1. Rock hard with some dodgy controls but was actually quite well designed and was a nice way to flesh out the MK universe (should anyone actually be interested!). I never really understood the massive hate for this game either.

Comment

I don't know why but back on the Dreamcast I quite enjoyed Buggy Heat.

Comment

It doesn't belong in retro, I know, but I seem to be the only person on the planet that loves Sonic And The Black Knight.

Comment

Burning Fight

I've always liked it since the first time I played in on Brighton Pier.

It gets a rough time from a lot of scrolling fighter fans.

Originally posted by qupe View Post
                    I don't know why but back on the Dreamcast I quite enjoyed Buggy Heat.
                    I really liked Buggy Heat. Bright, arcade style visuals, and fun racing. It deserved more respect.

Comment

Final Fight: Streetwise, on XBox. Absolutely nothing like the true Final Fight, it could never be considering this wasn't a Jap-programmed game, but I really liked it, it's a very short-lived, satisfying game, not worthy of the terrible disses it gets, but nowhere near Final Fight.

Comment

I love the pack-in Mega CD titles Sol Feace and Cobra Command. I know that Sol Feace, or Sol Faeces as some may call it, gets a lot of stick but I really don't understand why. Okay, so it's practically the same as the cart version but as the cart version is pretty decent that's no bad thing and the redbook soundtrack is absolutely amazing. As for Cobra Command, I think it's decent for an FMV game and it has some great locales and very memorable scenes. I love it.

Comment

Vampire Rain (Xbox 360)

I like the slow stealthy instant death style game play and some of the challenges are really hard. Though I would admit it has it's fair share of problems.

Comment

Gun Griffon Blaze ps2

no mech game comes as close for speed, excitement and ohh that lovely soundtrack

Blue Stinger Dreamcast

loved the atmosphere, graphics, sound - the japanese version has dynamic camera angles, whilst the US version has a fixed 3rd person view

Wreckless xbox

graphics blew me away at the time, quirky and rather like Super runabout without the cash acruement

Last Gladiators Saturn

no pinball game comes close - stonking soundtrack great gameplay, playing this on on and off for the last 15 years and never gets boring - Necronomicon is ace too!

thats for just for starters!
                            Last edited by dvdx2; 14-09-2009, 10:21.

Comment

I, uh, I like the Oneechanbara games.

And X-Blades.

Look, I know they're crap and I know I'm being pandered to, but I kinda sorta like being pandered to.

Comment

Working...
                              X