I'm losing my gaming skills!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm losing my gaming skills!

Mates just been round for me to take the pics of his hueys for my sales thread. In an effort to convince him not to do it i suggested getting a CD-Rom for it to expand his gaming options. So in order to convince him i stuck a few choice shooters on (he's a shoot 'em up nut) but was dismayed by my Nexzr performance, i got my arse absolutely handed to me, and i used to ROCK at this game. My reflexes on it were just rubbish, and i can only put it down to me being older and slower. I don't like it! Didn't convince him to stick with the retro either, he's still selling up to get a PS3. The friendship may be on rocky ground..............

I can't say for certain, but perhaps it's not your skills that are starting to deteriorate.

Perhaps it's that you expect to pick up the game after quite a while and demand that you're just as good as you've ever been, even though you had been practicing you butt off at the time to get that good.

At least I noticed this myself recently.
    Started with losing patience with games and wondering why I wasn't as good as I remembered, but then even got worse when I picked up Street Fighter 4 and for some reason expected myself to master the game from the beginning due to my many years of playing other iterations.

Perhaps it's just your expectations and patience level that has changed with getting a bit older?

Comment

My old school skills have dwindled a bit, twitch skills shall we say. Also my ability to determine patterns is rusty as hell, bullet patterns or boss patterns.

But they have been replaced by newer gaming skills like no scoping (sweeping movement with sniper rifle that stays around head hitbox area) one hit kill no need to zoom, 3D awareness and distance judgement.

Skill that have stayed are platform skills and RPGing skills.

With twitch shooters I find thinking too much gets in the way, and these days I think too much when playing games. Maybe that is the problem? with most new games I have never reached the zen like state I did with traditional shooters or other old school gems.

Comment

Yeah, both good points. I remember when i was young and the gap between getting games was huge due to lack of cash, you'd wring every ounce out of a game untill you knew every nook and cranny. I can still clock loads of my PCE games easily, but they're the ones i still play more regularly than others. I guess i'm going to have to knuckle down like i did originally and turn the tables on Nexzr, see if i can't clock it over the next week!

Comment

Originally posted by ikobo_1 View Post
          he's still selling up to get a PS3.
          A wise choice given that the entire PCE catalogue will be available via PSN...
          Kept you waiting, huh?

Comment

Originally posted by J0e Musashi View Post
            A wise choice given that the entire PCE catalogue will be available via PSN...
            Can't agree with this. Original hardware is always the best otherwise I'd be playing teh ROMzzz on my Xbox.

Comment

Originally posted by samanosuke View Post
              Can't agree with this. Original hardware is always the best otherwise I'd be playing teh ROMzzz on my Xbox.
              I don't follow that rule anymore. The original hardware plays the games no better than the PS3 does. It's all about streamlining. That's why my house doesn't look like a shop. My one box plays PS1/2/3 and PCE games, and I only need one TV to do it.

S-T-R-E-A-M-L-I-N-E-D.

*Awaits entire PCE Sapphire and Akamujo Dracula X market to bottom out*
              Last edited by J0e Musashi; 09-08-2009, 16:35.
              Kept you waiting, huh?

Comment

Why would the PCE market bottom out because there are emulated versions available? I'd imagine most people collect them because they like the media/ packaging/ artwork etc as well as the games themselves. The PS3 is hardly going to reproduce all that.

Comment

I can see many PCE collections being sold off once the PSN offers a greater selection of titles. It's the same way many people I know did it with SFC, N64 et all once the Wii started offering games from other formats. It's a massive money spinner if you do it at the right time. Plus the PSN is going to offer the ENTIRE PCE catalogue. No need at all for PCE hardware now, provided you can get over the attitude many take. I'm too grown up now to have my place resemble Shekana circa 1993. I can make do with a virtual instruction manual. You have to draw the line somewhere, unless you are extremely rich IMO.
                  Only physical media I now choose to own is PS1/PS2/PS3 and PSP. PSP will soon largely be eradicated due to the Go!, and I replace PS1 titles with their PSN equivalents where possible.
                  Last edited by J0e Musashi; 09-08-2009, 16:51.
                  Kept you waiting, huh?

Comment

Well Joe, should you be proved right (which i don't think you will, for the reasons i've already given) can i just be the first to offer to buy anyones entire PC-Engine collections so you can go buy a PS3. Not paying much for them though, as the PSN has rendered all your stuff worthless.

Comment

Think you're missing my point TBH bud, but hey I'm not gonna re-explain so you win I guess. Many people miss my points so I'm used to it by now.

Many factors make me say the things I've said. Factors which may not apply to you.

*Doesn't even bother mentioning Neo-Geo*
                      Kept you waiting, huh?

Comment

No, i'm not missing your point at all Joe, i just don't happen to agree with it. And i haven't even tried to make any argument, so save me the "you win i guess" nonsense.

Comment

In Scotland does "I'm not going to re-explain" translate as "this is now officially an argument"? I don't recall the part where I accused you of making an argument. Please enlighten if you happen to know where I did it.

One other (truly MASSIVE btw) point. I said the Sapphire and Akamujo markets. 2 games that. You were the one saying "entire collections". Prolly actually wanna read threads proper next time laddie...
                          Kept you waiting, huh?

Comment

The placebo effect has a very strong hold on some. These days, with cycle-accurate emulation of much old hardware (such as bsnes for Snes emulation), there's little 'real' difference. That said, I severely doubt the PCE emulation on the PS3 is going to be cycle accurate, just pray the sound effects don't sound wrong.

I'm all for streamlining, and having most of my old games easily accessible on my laptop.

Comment

Originally posted by J0e Musashi View Post
                              In Scotland does "I'm not going to re-explain" translate as "this is now officially an argument"? I don't recall the part where I accused you of making an argument. Please enlighten if you happen to know where I did it.

One other (truly MASSIVE btw) point. I said the Sapphire and Akamujo markets. 2 games that. You were the one saying "entire collections". Prolly actually wanna read threads proper next time laddie...
                              Hmmm, if it's not you trying to pick argument, why would there be anything "to win" as you stated? I made points that are valid, skip over them if you want. You do understand the difference between discussion and argument after all don't you?

And dear god, spare me the "laddie" and "in Scotland" comments, it just makes you look rather sad and pathetic. You never specified anything about certian games, you DID however say you foresaw PC-Engine collections being sold.

But thanks for your comments, i appreciate you taking the time to post them. I know you're a busy lad, playing strip nintendo with Swedish blondes and what not.

***EDIT*** and i now see you've edited your previous posts to sapphire and dracula-X, so that was your comment at the time was it? Quite sad. ***EDIT***
                              Last edited by Colin; 09-08-2009, 17:41.

Comment

Working...
                              X