Best way to play PS2 Imports?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by J0e Musashi View Post
    Surely the best way to play PS2 imports is to use an import PS2?
    Not really no. A PAL chipped machine will play anything you throw at it and you don't need to use a stepdown.

Comment

Originally posted by melody View Post
      Not really no. A PAL chipped machine will play anything you throw at it and you don't need to use a stepdown.
      there is arguements for and against

I've bought a Slimline PStwo for each region just to make it easier

I was sick and tired of trying my fat PStwo which is messiah modded to accept anything other than PStwo games

sure it plays all manner of PS2 games, but just stick a PSone game in there and the random button bashing you have to do to make it work is a nightmare

but yeah i agree with you if you just want it to play PStwo games and dont want to dip your toe in any other PS related waters

oh and you also dont need a stepdown for the external PSU slimlines, the PSU is multi-voltage

Comment

So far (touch wood) my modded slim PS2 has played everything I've thrown at it (all regions, both ps1 and ps2).

Comment

Originally posted by buster_broon View Post
          there is arguements for and against

I've bought a Slimline PStwo for each region just to make it easier

I was sick and tired of trying my fat PStwo which is messiah modded to accept anything other than PStwo games

sure it plays all manner of PS2 games, but just stick a PSone game in there and the random button bashing you have to do to make it work is a nightmare

but yeah i agree with you if you just want it to play PStwo games and dont want to dip your toe in any other PS related waters

oh and you also dont need a stepdown for the external PSU slimlines, the PSU is multi-voltage
          I am glad I am not alone with having issues booting PSone games on a messiah PS2! You have to do some weird combination of pressing and holding the power button that I was never able to pull off 100% of the time. Fortunately I am not a huge PSone fan (unless you really like Square RPGs I don't think it has held up well at all) so it doesn't bother me. I hear the later chips don't have such issues so anyone looking to get a universal PS2 now shouldn't have any problems.

My only issue (and it's a big one) with the PStwo is that you can't use HD Loader so I still think the best all in one setup is a chipped PAL PS2.

Comment

yeah my fatty PS2 is an original release one which has been chipped ever since the messiah mod came out, prior to that mod chip is was a nightmare to get the imports to work

so cant complain i've had my monies worth thats for sure

Comment

Originally posted by Cauterize View Post
              Ill confirm it works, my HD has games from all three regions installed and booting fine

The inital cost may be quite a bit, however the possibilites are well worth the price tag. However you dont actually need to buy the HDloader software.
              Look into getting the Memor32 memory card with the Memento Hack on it. This allows software like HDLoader to be booted from the memory card by holding down a shoulder button on boot up.

If youre not fussed on the HD Route, the Memor32 will still help you, as there is probably going to be some ELF floating around that allows you to boot imports.
              Interesting stuff but what I don't understand is how you get say a NTSC game onto the HDD using HDLoader with a PAL PS2? First you use the HDLoader disc then you eject that and put in a NTSC game. So why doesn't the PAL PS2 read the disc and reject it due to the region coding? Does the HDLoader software somehow bypass this when copying to the HDD?

Why doesn't the review of HDLoader here at NTSC-uk mention this is possible?

Comment

Originally posted by fallenangle View Post
                Interesting stuff but what I don't understand is how you get say a NTSC game onto the HDD using HDLoader with a PAL PS2? First you use the HDLoader disc then you eject that and put in a NTSC game. So why doesn't the PAL PS2 read the disc and reject it due to the region coding? Does the HDLoader software somehow bypass this when copying to the HDD?

Why doesn't the review of HDLoader here at NTSC-uk mention this is possible?
                It doesn't bypass the region coding that's why :P The only way around it is a modchip or using your PC to apply the files to your HDD (which is much more complicated).

You also don't want to use the old retail HD Loader, it is horribly out of date. The latest unofficial version is 0.8c.

Comment

So in other words I was correct (and the HD Loader review here) that unless you'e using a chipped PS2 (a rather important detail Cauterize left out) HD Loader doesn't somehow magically allow you to play import games from the HDD.

Comment

I've got a modded PS2, but ideally the best option is to have the correct region PS2. Mod wise I'd suggest the O2 chip, I've got a mate who swears by it.

My mod isn't O2 and is abit hit and miss to load games and only plays japanese PS1 games but all regions PS2 first time, which means someone didn't mod it that well.

Comment

Originally posted by fallenangle View Post
                      So in other words I was correct (and the HD Loader review here) that unless you'e using a chipped PS2 (a rather important detail Cauterize left out) HD Loader doesn't somehow magically allow you to play import games from the HDD.
                      My apologies! Yeah, the way I add my games to the HD is by putting the HD into an External Hard Drive Caddy, connecting it to the computer and transfer them using WinHIIP.

Basically, all of the process I have described is to put as little wear into the PS2's delicate laser. We all know how unreliable they are.

Comment

I have a slim line and just use a cheapo modbo chip.

Had it for a few years now and have had no problems playing any region PS1, PS2 or DVD's.

No crazy button combonations either (yes, I had a chip like that once)

Comment

Working...
                        X