Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

jamma questions!

Hi everyone,

I'm looking at buying an arcade cabinet but don't know a lot about them - apart from how to play on them!!

I've got two that Im looking at getting.

been told one is a jamma and the other one takes 'cartridges'. are these jamma boards as well or is it mame?? they're used as proper arcade machines if that makes a difference.

also, am i ok just buying jamma boards off ebay etc to slot into my (well, soon to be my) machine?

Thanks all

The cartridge cabinet will likely be a Neo-Geo LowBoy MVS cab.

Comment

Hi,

I know what a Neo Geo is but the rest is lost on me!
      can neo geo accept jamma as well?
      if it's a flat choice between the two then which one would you recommend?

thanks for your help

Comment

www.arcadeotaku.com mate, theres a nice wiki guide on there

James

Comment

And get the jamma, you can always add neo geo compatibility by buying a £30 slot 1 motherboard at a later date

Comment

Get the JAMMA.

Comment

Originally posted by burt View Post
              Hi everyone,

I'm looking at buying an arcade cabinet but don't know a lot about them - apart from how to play on them!!

I've got two that Im looking at getting.

been told one is a jamma and the other one takes 'cartridges'. are these jamma boards as well or is it mame?? they're used as proper arcade machines if that makes a difference.

also, am i ok just buying jamma boards off ebay etc to slot into my (well, soon to be my) machine?

Thanks all

Ask the seller of the one the takes Cartridges if its a 'Neo Geo MVS' board, if yes I'd go for that one as you can then play both Jamma PCBs and Neo Geo MVS carts, the Neo Geo PCB (the thing that plays carts) slots into the jamma harness.
              TBH though picking between cabs would depend more on the model and general condition of the cab.

Comment

JAMMA:
                The international standard connection used for arcade boards (PCBs) JAMMA stands for Japanese Amusement Machine Manufacturers Association. Jamma PCBs connect via a JAMMA Harness that looks like this:

NEO GEO MVS
                NEO GEO MVS PCBs/MOBOs slot into the JAMMA Harness and take MVS carts.
                There are many different models of NEO GEO MVS PCBs/MOBOs, mostly to do with taking multiple MVS carts, here's an example of what one looks like.
                http://www.hardmvs.com/html/MV-1.htm

MAME CAB
                A cab with a PC inside running the MAME arcade emulation

Comment

Funny you should bring this up, I'm just in the process of discussing buying a Work in Progress New Astro City to cut my teeth on so I dont blow up nearly £600's worth of Egret 2 later this year.

Just trying to talk the parents into letting me store it in their garage while I work on it (No space in the flat) & potentially leave it there for use.

Jamma is the way forward & you can always add extra Motherboards for different games later.

Neil

Comment

"Cartridge" does not denote MVS. It could be Atomiswave, CPS-2, F3, lots of others...

I'd check out that one.
                    Kept you waiting, huh?

Comment

IMO as said above out of the two I prob wouldn't take the one advertised as only JAMMA over the one that "takes cartridges" because if you can confirm if it is a JAMMA cab with a NEO GEO MVS board in the JAMMA harness, this way you're able to play both JAMMA PCBs and NEO GEO MVS Carts.

but also as said above IMO picking between cabs would depend more on the model and general condition of the cab.

Comment

Where's Kern when you need him eh?

Comment

Originally posted by J0e Musashi View Post
                          "Cartridge" does not denote MVS. It could be Atomiswave, CPS-2, F3, lots of others...

I'd check out that one.
                          yeah i was going to mentioned that STV carts and the like

Go for Jamma with a Single slot MVS board

the best of both worlds really

Comment

Originally posted by losersclub View Post
                            Where's Kern when you need him eh?
                            hello

Comment

cheers guys, lot to think about now.

if it makes a difference the game which was in the 'cartridge' cabinet was one of the streetfighter variants - dunno which one though.

as for the cabinet conditions, they're not dedicated cabs and are straight out of being placed in a youth club, so condition might be on the 'well used' side!!

still looking forward to seeing the little beauties!

Comment

Working...
                              X