Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

would you class

I have been thinking this for a long time with the newer systems out
    would you class the PS2,XBox and Gamecube as retro or do you think there still to new to be labeled like that

Thank you

Hush
    Last edited by hush; 01-09-2009, 11:17.

Id say no, too new, the ps2 in particular still has new games released, but for me a system becomes retro as soon as the 'next gen' arrives.

Comment

I, too, believe that something is 'retro' the moment a new generation is released. However, I can understand why people would not like the last-but-one generation being classified in such a way. They're so close to current games in terms of their aspirations.

Comment

They are not what i'd class as current gen, even though ps2 games are still being released. But they are not retro neither........

They are more like recent gen in my mind......... having said this, most of my gaming time is taken up by these 'recent gen' games.

To me 'true' retro is the C64 era......... I wouldn't even class mega drive and snes games as proper retro really, but thats just me...........

Comment

Well the term "retro" means outdated or no longer fashionable.

Those consoles are certainly outdated as far as technology goes, and I would imagine more people own the newer consoles these days? So I'd have to say yes they are retro.

Comment

These peeps say 25 year + so I guess, my C64 idea of reto is about right

Its on Yahoo, so it MUST be right!

Comment

No games come out for Gamecube so yes.

PS2 is still sellling strong so no.

Comment

"well, i'm pretty sure if you have something like a vehicle or snowmobile or anything like that, i think it has to be at least 25 years old."

A snowmobile?!? Where the f*ck did he/she pluck that one from?!?

Comment

All three are mildly retro-esque. It depends how far you go back with the games. The first PS2 games seem very old fashioned now.

I always say a console is retro 4-5 years after it is no longer current gen. With the Xbox & GameCube being cast aside in late 2005, I'd say they are retro. With that in mind, you might as well say the PS2 is retro. It's going to be 2010 soon - a new decade. I'd say it's time to call the 128-bit generation retro.

Comment

For me, a console becomes retro when the type of games it has as it's mainstay aren't fashionable or in great demand anymore.

For example, the Mega Drive was characterised by 2D platformers like Sonic, scrolling fighters like Streets of Rage and traditional shooters like Truxton. Once the PS1 took off those genres fell by the way side and the Mega Drive (along with the SNES, Neo Geo, PC Engine etc.) became retro.

The games that you typically find on the PS2 are still hugely popular today. Games like GTA, Resident Evil and Call of Duty still sell really well and are every bit as mainstream on the PS3/360 as they were on the last gen.

I realise that this is not a hard science and there are exceptions (sports games, in particular, transcend generational boundaries) but the bulk of the games available for the PS2 are too similar to those available today and for that reason I can't class it as retro.

Comment

I pretty much agree with that. Plus plenty of games on PS2 and Cube etc still look fantastic and dont feel outdated, FFXII, F-Zero GX to name 2.

Originally posted by BigDeadFreak View Post
                      For me, a console becomes retro when the type of games it has as it's mainstay aren't fashionable or in great demand anymore.

For example, the Mega Drive was characterised by 2D platformers like Sonic, scrolling fighters like Streets of Rage and traditional shooters like Truxton. Once the PS1 took off those genres fell by the way side and the Mega Drive (along with the SNES, Neo Geo, PC Engine etc.) became retro.

The games that you typically find on the PS2 are still hugely popular today. Games like GTA, Resident Evil and Call of Duty still sell really well and are every bit as mainstream on the PS3/360 as they were on the last gen.

I realise that this is not a hard science and there are exceptions (sports games, in particular, transcend generational boundaries) but the bulk of the games available for the PS2 are too similar to those available today and for that reason I can't class it as retro.

Comment

I wouldn't call either of those 3 retro systems and probably won't for several more years at least.

What I do consider a retro system is the Dreamcast even though it was released not that long before the PS2.

Perhaps it's just a personal opinion, but the DC is certainly a lot different in my eyes compared to those three systems.

Comment

I would say it's retro once the High Street stores (Game espescially) stop stocking/selling the games.

So the GC and xbox still on sale in my local stores mean they are not retro (barely!) and the PS2 has a long way to go yet..

Just opinion of course

Comment

I would say the DC, GC & XBOX are certainly retro, as in they are no longer catered for by the manufacturer or have games being made for them?

But I can see why people don't class them as the retro formats we know & love, but like it or not they are now retro Maybe we need a new name for them...

Comment

Originally posted by Katsujinken View Post
                              I would say the DC, GC & XBOX are certainly retro, as in they are no longer catered for by the manufacturer or have games being made for them?

But I can see why people don't class them as the retro formats we know & love, but like it or not they are now retro Maybe we need a new name for them...
                              Neo-Retro? ???

lol

Comment

Working...
                              X