X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Future Entertainment Show - 1992

Did anyone else go to this?

Oh god the memories. Absolutely loved this, got brought to it by my dad (used to go to this and the 'Live' shows). I remember the epic queues to get in, all the way around the Olympia.

Comment

I remember seeing this episode of Bad Influence at the time and thinking WOW!

At the time you would have thought the future of Video gaming would have definitly been VR Headsets so why has this not happened?!

OMG a £10k Prize for a guy who was probably **** at games!
      His opponent chose Dhalsim in SF2? lol

A
      Last edited by yesteryeargames; 15-09-2009, 16:55.

Comment

Originally posted by yesteryeargames View Post
        At the time you would have thought the future of Video gaming would have definitly been VR Headsets so why has this not happened?!
        Same reason as the Virtual Boy. It looked rediculous and played like ****.

Comment

I think I went? ... My Dad took me to every show going.

A great show was the GamesMaster show in Birmingham NEC. That was good.

I always went to the ECTS - which was great. Used to get an industry pass.

Originally posted by yesteryeargames View Post
          !

The resolution was too low. People got headaches. Also, people didn't like putting on the Headsets. I played a few VR, both in the arcades and on PC, and the experience was good, but.. I only played for a few minutes.

I think VR will happen, but.. not for a long time.
          Last edited by Leon Retro; 15-09-2009, 18:01.

Comment

I was quite lucky as I lived a ten minute bus ride from the Earls Court Olympia,
            I do remember going to The Future Entertainment Showbut memory is getting a bit foggy now, it was 16-17 years ago

They had loads of SNES SF2s set up with winner stays on.

Cought up in SF2 fever and I'm pretty sure I picked up the SFC games Golden Fighter and also the Shmup D-Force, both bought in the trader room at this show. They turned out to be two unbelievably ****e games.

also used to go to ECTS with an industry pass, that was cool too.

Comment

Originally posted by HC_O View Post

I'm pretty sure I picked up the SFC games Golden Fighter and also the Shmup D-Force, both bought in the trader room at this show. They turned out to be two unbelievably ****e games.

also used to go to ECTS with an industry pass, that was cool too.
              The words 'done' and 'over' spring to mind. Sorry, I have to laugh.

ECTS was good. I also got an industry pass and spent all day playing games.

Comment

Originally posted by Leon Ahoy! View Post
                ECTS was good. I also got an industry pass and spent all day playing games.
                Do you remember that SunSoft stand with Waku Waku 7 on a Neo Geo AES, think it was at the first ECTS?
                I remember at the time I was really suprised to see a new Neo Geo AES game.

Comment

I remember being incredibly excited by Sonic 2 and touching Nigel Mansell's F1 car. I also recall seeing that dodgy Sonic costume and wondering if it was a woman underneath. Somebody was randomly throwing Sonic pin badges out into the audience and my friend was lucky enough to get one but gave it to me as he didn't want it at all.

Think I had Sonic on the brain all day, with hindsight. I was ten years old at the time.

Other highlights:
                  Crash Dummies
                  Tons of Amiga joysticks
                  Massive queues for everything

Comment

Do you remember that SunSoft stand with Waku Waku 7 on a Neo Geo AES, think it was at the first ECTS?
                    I remember at the time I was really suprised to see a new Neo Geo AES game.
                    I didn't start going to the ECTS show until 96 - so I missed the 16-bit stuff. ... I did go to public shows before that - when 16-bit was really popular from 90-93.

Originally posted by Decider-VT View Post
                    Tons of Amiga joysticks
                    Massive queues for everything
                    I remember all those joysticks - there were soooo many to choose from - in all shapes and sizes. Then joypads took over - and the joystick died a death in the home.

Comment

Originally posted by Leon Ahoy! View Post
                      I didn't start going to the ECTS show until 96 - so I missed the 16-bit stuff. ...
                      the first ECTS I went to was in 1995,
                      just looked I didn't realize it ran from 1988

Comment

the first ECTS I went to was in 1995,
                        just looked I didn't realize it ran from 1988

I may sound sad and geeky - but if I had a time machine, I'd travel back to all the shows of the 80s - and enjoy the atmosphere of all the shows back then. I've read interviews with 80s game makers, and they say 80s shows were really fun because everything was so new and the enthusiasm was great.

I find little to get excited about when it comes to gaming these days. If I went to a modern show, it'd be 200 marine based fps's and Devil May Cry wannabes.

I'd love to visit a gaming show that focuses solely on 2D.

Comment

Lol. Just googled this!!! I'm tony eaton and finished second in the "main event" games champion. I won ?4000 it was a fantastic weekend

Comment

1992 that was

Comment

Did anyone else go to this?

Just googled future show and found this lol. I entered game player of year 1992. I'm on the bad influence clip. I'm tony eaton finished 2nd doh!!! But I got ?4000 which was very nice. Good Christmas that year

Comment

Working...
                              X