Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Showcase Games

Showcase Games

Games that showcase the system abilities, and make you feel great.

What with all the Talk of Fav Music , plus and minus point of the different systems in the Dreamcast Thread ECT I got thinking of All the games that showcase the system .
    You know games that push the host hardware , Make you feel great , and games that you want .. not only to show off to mates , but also to tell/show the world how great the game , and system is .
    Like to Keep it 1 or 3 Top real showcase games (Per System) , though I?ll most prob add at least 20 for the Saturn alone , and for the Moment for the systems to be Retro-ish

Right Here goes my pathetic list ...

Master System

Psycho Fox -

I sometimes feel this a little overretted , but as one of the best games to showcase the MS , its Hard to Fault , with super smooth scrolling , lovely sprites and colour everywhere.

Phantasy Star -

If only for the amazing 3D sections , how on earth Naka got that to work on the MS and look so brilliant , I still do this day will never now
    Chopper Lifter ? Ok I bet people will laugh , but to me this looked utterly amazing , back inthe day . With the most Impressive Multi Layer Parllax scrolling , I?ve ever seen on a 8 bit system (well baring the PC-Eng).

Mega Drive :

Thunder Force IV ?

Used to have countless battles in school with not only the NCL crew , but the Amiga and ST lads (how would dismiss out of hand Consoles , and so would be Computer teacher) . Still still at the day , I gathered them all , to come up the house after school , and I wacked on the game . Jaws dropped , with everyone saying , that?s a Neo Geo game  .
    I mean bar issues with colour and Sound , it looks like a Saturn or PS shooter , never mind Neo Geo , and the GFX still hold well today . How did techno boys get that multi Layer scrolling, out of the humble MD, I really couldn?t fathom. And incredible showcase of the system and the programmers talent

SNES :

Contra III ?

I remember reading the MM reviews , and thinking to myself , no way can the game be that good , or look better than Arcade games , but how wrong can one be .
    There?s some times, I wish could go back in time and relive the experience or at least find a way to bottle the feeling of Joy one got , and Playing Contra III for the very 1st time, would be one of those moments in time .
    Staring off, it looked ok , but nothing really that great , then it?s started to get so very spectacular .
    1st sign that I knew was in something special , was when then Bomber plane does it ?s swoop In , not only did it look spectacular , but the sound effect was off the chart , one almost took cover it sounded so real.
    You then meet 1st Boss , and WOW, not only was is it massive , but it also used a wonderful effect (that I really hadn't seen before)

That was as to nothing as when you play the Overhead Level , and I did actually shout out the words FUC*KING HELL, as the camera and screen rotated and swooped down , plus the music just demanded me , to put the TV on full blast
    If all that wasn?t enough , Konami Ripped the Piss , with one of the best gaming bosses EVER , Him swirling and zooming out of the screen, was enough to one 's eye?s pop out , but you also then had music and sound effects just sounding bloody awesome , with brilliant gameplay , that it could help but put a massive smile on ones face

One of my best gaming days ever that was , and even though I was a BIG SEGA fan , I looked over at my MD, and it looked quite sad on that day  .

Mega CD

Batman Returns -

I think I?ll mutter the words John O? Brien on my Death Bed , I have so much respect for what hid did . For ages we had all the Press slamming the Mega CD , no good games , its scaling isn?t a patch on the Snes , and what have you . Along came this game and shut all the doubters up .For the 1st time , inthe home I was playing a game that looked , and moved every bit as good as the best Scaling Coin Ups in my Arcade . Not only was the scaling super smooth and just used on everything and some of the greatest and biggest explosions ever seen , but the buildings looked so real , looked so solid and had a great 3D-ish effect on the sides of the buildings (that not even OutRun had in the Arcades) . It also had no flicker , multi layers of Parallax , and colour wise looked every bit as colourful as a SNES game , add in the Monster Sound Track and Sound effects , and one had a showcase game , in every sense of the world .

PS

Metal Gear Soild -

In the old VGI days , I used to have many debates and would always try and make out the Saturn, could have done this and that , with people like Joe . But not even I would waste my time , trying to make out the Saturn could handle this game.
    This game was just stunning, so well realised down the smallest detail , like breath and foot prints . I was playing it down my mates , and it was one of the few games I enjoyed playing as much I did watching it being played (just so I could take it all in ) and the Moment was asked to place the Joypad on the floor and see it move , was the stuff of Video game legends .

Saturn

RSG ?

OK this isn?t about if it?s a Good shooter , what its about is a Showcase , and it really doesn?t come much better than this . I remember speaking to Lee , the day he was sending out all the Dream machines/ VGI lads copies , and him saying ?You wait until you see it , This is what I expect Dreamcast games to look like , it made the wait until the next day painful .
    But as soon as one turned it on , You knew Lee was right . Stunning Swirling , rotating Backgrounds, Massive ships and more sprites than one could take it , all with one of the greatest music scores around . Its was almost like Treasure made the game, as a pisstake out of all the Mags and Developers that knocked the Saturn , and just wanted to prove a point . Look at this game ,and feel small . This game must have used every Saturn trick inthe book , and still to this day , dropping throw the clouds as never been done so well or bettered

Grandia -

Worth it for the music and intro alone , but the flypast on the start of the game (parm) ,is one of my personal Biggest jaw dropping moments in video games , I reall was speechless at the time .
    Wonderful textures , Polygons and sprites everywhere , and no mater how much one rotated or zoomed in , not a hint of polygon clicthing , folding at all
    INCREDIBLE was the only words to describe it .. One then goes to the port and witnesses , one of the greatest water effects ever used , no 32bit system did water Effects like Saturn could .

I'd throw up Panzer Dragoon Saga for Saturn, maybe not at the start of disc one but the graphics soon heat up to amazing levels.

Comment

Dreamcast

SoulCalibur

I saw this running in a Gamestation in Leeds and was mesmerised by the graphically quality, the failing cheery petals really wowed me. The nest day I packaged up my N64 and all the games and traded it all in for a Dreamcast and SoulCalibur

Comment

Originally posted by Team Andromeda View Post
        Showcase Games

Games that showcase the system abilities, and make you feel great.

What with all the Talk of Fav Music , plus and minus point of the different systems in the Dreamcast Thread ECT I got thinking of All the games that showcase the system .
        You know games that push the host hardware , Make you feel great , and games that you want .. not only to show off to mates , but also to tell/show the world how great the game , and system is .
        Like to Keep it 1 or 3 Top real showcase games (Per System) , though I?ll most prob add at least 20 for the Saturn alone , and for the Moment for the systems to be Retro-ish

Right Here goes my pathetic list ...

Master System

Psycho Fox -

I sometimes feel this a little overretted , but as one of the best games to showcase the MS , its Hard to Fault , with super smooth scrolling , lovely sprites and colour everywhere.

Phantasy Star -

If only for the amazing 3D sections , how on earth Naka got that to work on the MS and look so brilliant , I still do this day will never now
        Chopper Lifter ? Ok I bet people will laugh , but to me this looked utterly amazing , back inthe day . With the most Impressive Multi Layer Parllax scrolling , I?ve ever seen on a 8 bit system (well baring the PC-Eng).

Mega Drive :

Thunder Force IV ?

Used to have countless battles in school with not only the NCL crew , but the Amiga and ST lads (how would dismiss out of hand Consoles , and so would be Computer teacher) . Still still at the day , I gathered them all , to come up the house after school , and I wacked on the game . Jaws dropped , with everyone saying , that?s a Neo Geo game  .
        I mean bar issues with colour and Sound , it looks like a Saturn or PS shooter , never mind Neo Geo , and the GFX still hold well today . How did techno boys get that multi Layer scrolling, out of the humble MD, I really couldn?t fathom. And incredible showcase of the system and the programmers talent

SNES :

Contra III ?

I remember reading the MM reviews , and thinking to myself , no way can the game be that good , or look better than Arcade games , but how wrong can one be .
        There?s some times, I wish could go back in time and relive the experience or at least find a way to bottle the feeling of Joy one got , and Playing Contra III for the very 1st time, would be one of those moments in time .
        Staring off, it looked ok , but nothing really that great , then it?s started to get so very spectacular .
        1st sign that I knew was in something special , was when then Bomber plane does it ?s swoop In , not only did it look spectacular , but the sound effect was off the chart , one almost took cover it sounded so real.
        You then meet 1st Boss , and WOW, not only was is it massive , but it also used a wonderful effect (that I really hadn't seen before)

That was as to nothing as when you play the Overhead Level , and I did actually shout out the words FUC*KING HELL, as the camera and screen rotated and swooped down , plus the music just demanded me , to put the TV on full blast
        If all that wasn?t enough , Konami Ripped the Piss , with one of the best gaming bosses EVER , Him swirling and zooming out of the screen, was enough to one 's eye?s pop out , but you also then had music and sound effects just sounding bloody awesome , with brilliant gameplay , that it could help but put a massive smile on ones face

One of my best gaming days ever that was , and even though I was a BIG SEGA fan , I looked over at my MD, and it looked quite sad on that day  .

Mega CD

Batman Returns -

I think I?ll mutter the words John O? Brien on my Death Bed , I have so much respect for what hid did . For ages we had all the Press slamming the Mega CD , no good games , its scaling isn?t a patch on the Snes , and what have you . Along came this game and shut all the doubters up .For the 1st time , inthe home I was playing a game that looked , and moved every bit as good as the best Scaling Coin Ups in my Arcade . Not only was the scaling super smooth and just used on everything and some of the greatest and biggest explosions ever seen , but the buildings looked so real , looked so solid and had a great 3D-ish effect on the sides of the buildings (that not even OutRun had in the Arcades) . It also had no flicker , multi layers of Parallax , and colour wise looked every bit as colourful as a SNES game , add in the Monster Sound Track and Sound effects , and one had a showcase game , in every sense of the world .

PS

Metal Gear Soild -

In the old VGI days , I used to have many debates and would always try and make out the Saturn, could have done this and that , with people like Joe . But not even I would waste my time , trying to make out the Saturn could handle this game.
        This game was just stunning, so well realised down the smallest detail , like breath and foot prints . I was playing it down my mates , and it was one of the few games I enjoyed playing as much I did watching it being played (just so I could take it all in ) and the Moment was asked to place the Joypad on the floor and see it move , was the stuff of Video game legends .

Saturn

RSG ?

OK this isn?t about if it?s a Good shooter , what its about is a Showcase , and it really doesn?t come much better than this . I remember speaking to Lee , the day he was sending out all the Dream machines/ VGI lads copies , and him saying ?You wait until you see it , This is what I expect Dreamcast games to look like , it made the wait until the next day painful .
        But as soon as one turned it on , You knew Lee was right . Stunning Swirling , rotating Backgrounds, Massive ships and more sprites than one could take it , all with one of the greatest music scores around . Its was almost like Treasure made the game, as a pisstake out of all the Mags and Developers that knocked the Saturn , and just wanted to prove a point . Look at this game ,and feel small . This game must have used every Saturn trick inthe book , and still to this day , dropping throw the clouds as never been done so well or bettered

Grandia -

Worth it for the music and intro alone , but the flypast on the start of the game (parm) ,is one of my personal Biggest jaw dropping moments in video games , I reall was speechless at the time .
        Wonderful textures , Polygons and sprites everywhere , and no mater how much one rotated or zoomed in , not a hint of polygon clicthing , folding at all
        INCREDIBLE was the only words to describe it .. One then goes to the port and witnesses , one of the greatest water effects ever used , no 32bit system did water Effects like Saturn could .

nice post, especially agree with your comments on TFIV and RSG

few of my favs for showcasing

MD - Gleylancer/Bare Knuckle
        Snes - Axley
        Saturn - TFV
        DC - house of the dead 2/Blue stinger/Sega rally
        PS - Gran Turismo (when it first came out)
        PS2 - Tekken Tag Tourn

Comment

Originally posted by Team Andromeda View Post
          S
          SNES :
          Contra III –

There’s some times, I wish could go back in time and relive the experience or at least find a way to bottle the feeling of Joy one got , and Playing Contra III for the very 1st time, would be one of those moments in time .
          Staring off, it looked ok , but nothing really that great , then it’s started to get so very spectacular .

As soon as I got the SFC, I looked at the MD and thought: " How did that go from being amazing - to feeling like an MS? "

Your enthusiasm for ContraIII is very moving. .... I totally agree with all your sentiments. The game rocks the SFC to the limits.

Here are my choices:

NES

Super Mario Bros 2

This game blew my mind when I bought it in 1990. Great music, four characters, colourful bold visuals, and lots of gameplay features. Such an impressive experience from start to finish. Shows what the NES can do.

MasterSystem

Wonder Boy III: The Dragon's Trap

I first saw this in a computer shop and it blew me away. Sooooo much better than most MS games - it was technically impressive and the gameplay was also strong. I'd use it to show what the MS can do.

MegaDrive

StreetsofRage2 & Sonic2

Both games have big, bold visuals. The sound is also excellent. Play both and see what the MD can do - and why it was, and still is.. so popular.

SNES

ContraIII

I have to choose the same game as TeamAndromeda. ContraIII is a visual and sonic tour de force. Full of action, gameplay variety, impressive visuals, amazing effects, and awesome sound effects and stirring tunes. The perfect game to show off the abilities of the SNES.

N64

MARIO64

This game kept things pretty simple - but that's the beautiful thing about it - and why... it's so great. The designers didn't throw in texture map overload, or try to do ridiculous things with the hardware. No.. they focused on bright, effective visuals, smooth gameplay and lots of interesting things to do in the game world.

Dreamcast

Ferrari F355

As much as Soul Calibur is an awesome display of the DC's power - I will still choose Ferrari as the ultimate showcase of the machine.
          The visuals are high resolution, very crisp and full of detail. The fact that it runs at 60fps - is the icing on an amazing technical achievement. The game was always a joy to play( very tough though ) ... and you could even link machines for multi-player fun.
          You can only imagine what Sega could have done with a sequel. Daytona2001 was very disappointing by comparison. Ferrari shows how the Dreamcast could do more than shooters and fighters. If only the public had realised that fact.

Comment

I think my personal SNES showcase would be Donkey Kong Country 2. Not only because of the graphics, mainly due to the awesome music that really adds to the atmosphere A LOT. I mean - this is CD quality music coming out of a cartridge system released in 1990!

Comment

Originally posted by dvdx2 View Post
              nice post, especially agree with your comments on TFIV and RSG

few of my favs for showcasing

MD - Gleylancer/Bare Knuckle
              Snes - Axley
              Saturn - TFV
              DC - house of the dead 2/Blue stinger/Sega rally
              PS - Gran Turismo (when it first came out)
              PS2 - Tekken Tag Tourn
              I think TFV is a real eyesore which graphics so grainy and jaggy that you it makes you run into everything. Also I'd personally pick TF3 over TFIV for a showcase game.

Comment

Gran Turismo really was a watershed moment for gaming as a whole, but I still rate Vagrant Story as the peak of the PS1's power. There's nary a hint of the problems that lack of hardware perspective correction caused in pretty much every title, and it has an outstanding soundtrack (that isn't done via Redbook audio, there's simply no room on the disc for that much audio).

Soul Calibur on the DC remains it's most technically impressive title. I was working with some DC developer guys at the time, and we had no idea quite how they'd managed it. There are games there that play better, but it was a title that (at the time) really showed the PS2 a clean pair of heels.

The PS2 itself took a long time to get up to speed. ICO is probably the one coders like the most there, because it's using the limitations of the hardware to it's advantage, creating a very unique look. Shame they tried to push that bit too hard with Colossus. Late PS2 stuff like the God of War games are just plain astounding when you put them up against titles from the early years of the machine.

N64? I didn't really play a massive amount of games on that, but I remember being very impressed with Body Harvest (which really hasn't aged well) and Jet Force Gemini (which fares better).

Comment

ZX Spectrum - Knight Lore. I simply couldn't believe this game when I saw it. Compared to everything else available for the home at that point it was such a ridiculously massive leap. Amazing.

ZX Spectrum - 3D Starstrike. Spectrum was the place to be for wireframe games in the 8-bit days and this was simply astounding. Star Wars recreated on the humble speccy and it moved at a fair speed too. Stunning.

Commodore 64 - Impossible Mission. Oh, the speech. Jaw-dropping at the time. And then of course you have that amazing animation. Made the Spectrum look silly.

Commodore 64 - Uridium. As a game, I always thought this was pretty overrated, but those incredible bas-relief graphics, that silky smooth scrolling and the ship's animation were drop-dead. Andrew Braybrook showed that the C64 could produce arcade quality with this.

Commodore 64 - Armalyte. How many sprites? Good lord ...

Comment

Originally posted by moonwhistle View Post
                    I think TFV is a real eyesore which graphics so grainy and jaggy that you it makes you run into everything. Also I'd personally pick TF3 over TFIV for a showcase game.
                    nah, TFV was great for me - great soundtrack and i loved those boss enounters and descriptions!

I thought TF3 was no where near as good graphically as IV, worst soundtrack, and a bit basic TBH

Comment

I thought TF III to be one of the most overrated games of all time , and didn't look to great either .

Anyway some of my latter system choices would be ....

N64

Mario 64 -

I'm still to this very day , puzzled that this was the only game, never so suffer the problems of all latter N64 games (even NCL ones) Not a hint or washed out colours or blurry graphics . To me its was the best ever looking N64 game , and a game that can still hold up today , massive draw distance with not a hint of clipping .

X-Box

O.TO.GI II - I would always then to go for Orta , but this game if anything is even more impressive . Just sheer destruction all around the screen , some of the best Art I've ever witness in a game , and the Spider Level section , with the massive spiders blowing apart and shards of ice like structures smashing into bits , is to this day Jaw Dropping .

Dreamcast

Virtual On II -

EDGE in the early days , used to love to always point out the DC couldn't do Model 3 graphics , and VF 3 or SR weren't quite perfect , so how the hell was the DC meant to handle the best Looking Model 3 game around ???

Not only did this game start off with a quite brilliant intro . but the real Time Attack sequence, made my Jaw hit the floor . Ones was bombarded with a Thumping Soundtrack with Kick ass Bass , Then to be greeted with the most stunning looking textures I had seen at that time , Massive amounts of Polygons being pushed , no hints of break ups , and not matter the sheer destruction going on , or special effects being used no a single drop in the 60 fps .

CUBE

Star Wars RS II -

I'm pretty sure that most would tend to pick RE 4 , but this is more impressive , and at the time made a lot of X-Box titles look lame . Lovely textures , awesome lighting effects and unlike RE4 , all in a full screen window . It's quite sad , that no Wii game as been able to match the graphics here , that this Cube game managed at the start

Comment

Can the Dreamcast twin sticks be used on any other game?

Comment

Neo Geo - Garou MotW

The best fighter on the system and arguably the best fighter full-stop, on a machine that was built for fighters. The animated intro, the amazing graphics, the stunning effects, the great soundtrack and the most fluid animation one could hope for demonstrate what this old 16-bitter is capable of in the right hands.

Dreamcast - Phantasy Star Online

I'm going against the grain here as it's tempting to go for Sould Calibur or Shenmue, but the Dreamcast was touted as bringing online console gaming to the masses, and this was probably the first game to properly do this. The fact that it looked lush an was a pretty amazing game helped it to achieve its online ambitions.

Comment

Perfect Dark (N64)

I know it required the 4MB memory expansion, but the things Rare managed to put in this game and squeeze out of the N64 were just unreal.

Full speech, real-time dynamic lighting, multi-tiered dynamic AI, some of the most imaginative, baffling array of weapons ever seen (see: Farsight), a co-operative mode, counter-co-operative (?!), an unbelievably comprehensive multi-player mode, multiplayer bots with dynamic AI, GBC-link up...there was even a custom face-mapper option using the GBC Camera that had to be eventually dropped, but only at the request of Nintendo.

A lot of this stuff was ahead of it's time for a console, and not just on the N64 either.

Comment

Playstation Final Fantasy VII. The seamless transition from that of the cinematics to the the actual gameplay, as well as an epic musical score and 100 hours plus of gameplay gave me the feeling of 'next gen' back in 1997. I also feel that the game shows what early CD rom gaming was really capable of when compared to the direction of that of the CDI and 3DO.

Dreamcast Definately, HOTD2. I had rinsed this game on holiday in Spain as a young 15 year old and when I saw it was coming to DC i had to get one. Come release date i was blown away, the visuals were absolutely stunning and actually arcade-perfect which was a phrase tossed around much more back then without having any real meaning. Games such as Shenmue, Chu-chu rocket and to some extent although never being release VF4, showed some of the other versatilities of the system.

Comment

Working...
                              X