Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Looking for a Jap Mega CD

Hi Chaps,

I'm looking for a Jap Mega CD console boxed and in mint condition, hard task I know but they're out there somewhere!

Got a few people looking for me but if anyone knows of one available I'd be very grateful.

Ian.

Wrong thread mate.

Try the wanted section.

Comment

Oops Sorry

Comment

Wrong thread but if you want one I can get you one. They're not cheap though in that condition.

Comment

Originally posted by Yakumo View Post
          Wrong thread but if you want one I can get you one. They're not cheap though in that condition.
          I'll PM you Mark.

Comment

If you find yourself still looking I have two and should probably sell one, feel free to make me an offer

Comment

Just out of interest and assuming Ian doesn't mind me asking just how much are they? Never seen one in the wild before so no clue how much they go for.

Comment

Originally posted by Lorfarius View Post
                Just out of interest and assuming Ian doesn't mind me asking just how much are they? Never seen one in the wild before so no clue how much they go for.
                I too would be intrigued to know as i've not seen many around..

Comment

Well, keep in mind that the Pound is quite weak against the yen these days so you'll be looking at 80 to 100 pounds before shipping for a mint in box Mega CD 1.

Yakumo

Comment

Well, keep in mind that the Pound is quite weak against the yen these days so you'll be looking at 80 to 100 pounds before shipping for a mint in box Mega CD 1.

Yakumo
                    That's not too bad if you consider a PAL mint one can reach £70. Was expecting it to be in the £150-£200 price range

Ian get it bought!

Comment

JPN MK1 systems don't ever seem that expensive really, it's always the MK2 JPN systems that seem to be up at daft prices every time I see one, usually ?150+ boxed.

Comment

How reliable are the MK1 systems compared to the MK2...r they the same inside(i.e just a different casing?) or are they different totally..

Is there any stand out games that would justify getting one personally?

Comment

Originally posted by garrz32 View Post
                          How reliable are the MK1 systems compared to the MK2...r they the same inside(i.e just a different casing?) or are they different totally..

Mega CD 1 systems have two problems. First you may get a system with a Sony lens. And we all know how **** Sony CD lenses were right up to PS2. Other models have a Victor / JVC lens just like the Wondermega. The other problem is with shipping. No matter how well the unit is packed there's always a possibility that the laser module will be knocked off it's tracks. This is easy enough to fix mind you but still a problem that you?d rather not have to do. Of course this won't happen all the time but it is a possibility. I've shipped at least 30 MK1 Mega CD systems and 3 had their laser units knocked off the tracks. The buyers could fix them though.

Yakumo

Comment

I did a bit of reading about when the laser on mine went and I was looking for a replacement, it seems the JVC lasers are even less reliable than the Sony ones.

Your best off with a system that uses the Sony drive if you can find one as they still manufacture replacement lasers at around £25, JVC on the other hand have discontinued the Optima-5 laser found in the MK1 systems.

Managed to find some old/new stock but they wanted around £50-60 for one and that was the cheapest I found.

The JVC build quality looks better than the Sony one in regards to the mechanism that opens and closes the cd tray though.

Comment

Originally posted by garrz32 View Post

Hmmm... it depends... do you mean are there any standout Japanese games or games from any region? There are standout Japanese games such as Shadowrun and 3x3 Eyes but most of the really good, Jp-exclusive Mega-CD games are RPGs so I guess it all depends on your grasp of the language.

However, there are many standout games from all/other regions that, in my opinion, more than justify the purchase of a machine. Being able to play Snatcher in English should be enough to convince you but if not then the likes of Lunar 1 & 2, Popful Mail, Shining Force CD, Keio Flying Squadron and Dennin Aleste are truly classic titles. The Mega CD was so much more than the FMV-ridden failure it's often made out to be.

My recommendation would be that, unless you really are decided on getting a Jp Mk I machine, you should think about getting a Mk I PAL model (only tiny cosmetic differences) for much less money and so long as your Jp (I'm assuming it is Jp) Megadrive is double-switched it will work fine, but you won't be able to play Jp games without getting a Megacart.

Regardless as to whether you did go for a Jp or PAL model you should really get a Mega Cart as there are quite a few games that were only released in one region and it would be criminal to miss out on the English versions of Lunar and Popful Mail, unless of course you speak Japanese.

Comment

Working...
                              X