The coolest consoles you never owned?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The coolest consoles you never owned?

I remember after reading a lot of CVG mags and then the Complete Guide to Consoles (see my avatar) in the build up to the Megadrive and SNES era. I'd set my heart on getting a Japanese Megadrive which I got for Christmas. I remember during the build up and hype of this new wave of consoles how I really wanted a PC Engine. The thing just looked great. The white one.

I then went on to the SFC and eventually the urge to get a PC Engine had passed.

These days I um and ahh over picking one up from here or ebay, just so I can put on that one HuCard I own, Street Fighter II CE, from my SF collection

One day, my cool looking friend, one day...

Anyone else let a cool console like the PC Engine or NeoGeo pass you by, but still think about it?

I'm exactly the same as you, hoolak!

I've always lusted after a PC Engine and know that if I ever crumble I'll hardly ever play it, just buy more and more games, but only play my current-gen consoles...

I try to look at the box artwork on http://pcengine.co.uk/, but it's not quite the same is it?

I did get a Gameboy after spending months drooling over those preview pics in the complete guide to consoles and was very pleased that Christmas. Well done Mom & Dad!

Comment

I've got a PC Engine and CD-ROM2 unit, but what I'd really like is a PC Engine Duo R.

Would also love a Neo Geo AES - but the price of the games I want puts me off. Probably get one in future though.

Comment

Originally posted by QualityChimp View Post
        I'm exactly the same as you, hoolak!

I've always lusted after a PC Engine and know that if I ever crumble I'll hardly ever play it, just buy more and more games, but just play my current-gen consoles...

I try to look at the box artwork on http://pcengine.co.uk/, but it's not quite the same is it?

I did get a Gameboy after spending months drooling over those preview pics in the complete guide to consoles and was very pleased that Christmas.
        Totally. I'll never play it either. However, I constantly feel like I have unfinished busniess

If I had a bigger house, I'd have it in a glass cabinet or something sitting proud in my mini console museum

Comment

PC-Engine and Neo are still my CURRENT systems................................

I own NO next gen current gen machines!

Comment

Ha ha, is that from the Game On exhibition? I went to that at The Barbican and The Science Museum! Wasn't it running Street Fighter?

I'm a firm believer of not letting stuff own you, so it's not too slippery a slope.

I've never wanted a Neo-Geo because of it's preposterous price, so never really considered it as an option. I loved playing them in the arcades though. Ninja Combat ate a fair few of my coins!

Comment

Originally posted by ikobo_1 View Post
              PC-Engine and Neo are still my CURRENT systems................................

I own NO next gen current gen machines!
              You're the second person to waltz in here waving your big PC Engine willy about! Please, have mercy lol

Strange that you won't know any better than these consoles. It's a nice thought. You are missing out on some cracking games, but you sit in the comfort of not knowing any better. Nice.
              Last edited by hudson; 10-11-2009, 16:16.

Comment

Oh yes, definitely the PC Engine, but like you lot I'd collect games for it but never play them. But one day..................

Have also had two Neo Geo consoles and games in the past, now and then I get an urge to splash out and start up the Neo addiction again...........

Comment

I think you may have me wrong. I've owned most every console you can think of, including PS3, 360, but not wii funnily enough. It's just that i know what i like, and it's simple retro arcade fun. Hence why the PCE is pretty much the only machine i've constantly owned for the last 20 years or so. The recent purchase of another Neo (my fourth i think ) is just the icing on the cake. And because i'm now older and settled with a good job etc, there's no financial reason for them ever to have to go. This current gen is not much use to me, i have neither the time nor the interest to put the hours required in to modern games, i like something that can be clocked in under an hour.

Oh, and THIS is PC-Engine willy waving..........

Last edited by Colin; 10-11-2009, 16:46.

Comment

Sapphire. ;~;

Arcade gaming is vastly superior to console gaming IMO. I only really play games on my Saturn and PS2s (PAL + NTSC-J). Modern games just don't interest me, despite my 360.

Comment

The only one ive always wanted but never owned is a neo geo aes, wanted one since the day i saw it in the Complete guide to consoles, some 20 years ago now! Still havnt ruled out getting one one day.

Comment

Ah Jesus, i've only just realised i misread the topic title, i thought it was ever, not never!!!!

Coolest looking console i've never owned would have to be a wondermega. Lovely looking bit of kit that. Or maybe a neo geo cdz, i only ever had the crappy first one with the single speed drive.

Comment

Originally posted by ikobo_1 View Post
                          Ah Jesus, i've only just realised i misread the topic title, i thought it was ever, not never!!!!

Coolest looking console i've never owned would have to be a wondermega. Lovely looking bit of kit that. Or maybe a neo geo cdz, i only ever had the crappy first one with the single speed drive.
                          Reeeeeewiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiind! lol. See? You and your willy waving

Your PC Engine pic above is ultimate cool. I take it you have a PC Engine GT too?

Would love to see a pic of your collection.

I've fancied a NeoGeo CDZ too, but it's fairly expnsive still due to that slightly faster CD read time.

And 20 years since Complete Guide to Consoles? My goodness, I feel old. Wish I could get hold of the four issues of it. Anyone got them to willy wave in here?
                          Last edited by hudson; 10-11-2009, 17:47.

Comment

I think I'd have to say the PC Engine as well. I remember seeing a photo of one in C&VG, they had it next to a kitkat for size comparison.

I could never bring myself to try and talk the folks into buying me an expensive Japanese import, and by the time I had my own income I was flat sharing with a guy that had a huge Engine collection (on card and CD) so kinda got it out of my system.

I remember really lusting after the early shots of 3DO stuff as well, but thankfully got over that long before parting with any cash

Comment

I'm actually thinking of picking up a Panasonic 3DO at some point too. Again, this would probably be only to play my copy of SSFIITurbo Maybe not...

Comment

Working...
                              X