IDE interfaces for 8-bit computers.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

IDE interfaces for 8-bit computers.

Haven't seen any similar discussion, so this seemed the most appropriate place to ask.

Anyone got any experience with the various home built IDE/flash card interfaces for 8-bit computers such as the Commodore 64 or Spectrum? If so, any suggestions on what to buy/avoid? I've a stack of old disks and tapes I'd like to be able to use again but finding it hard to determine what I should spend my cash on.

I recently dug out my old C64c and Spectrum from my parents place. Whilst loading tapes are fun (couldn't find my 1541) I'd love to add something to allow me to load from compact flash or even better MMC/SD card but I'm finding it hard to locate something that's available and is reasonably priced.

For the spectrum I've noticed the DivIDE and DivIDE+ interfaces but not really sure of the difference. The DivIDE interface seems cheap at around 30 euros but the DivIDE+ seems to cost around ?70.

C64 is much more confusing, such a variety MMC2IEC, SD2IEC, D2CN, C64TPC, Retro Replay, MMC64, Chameleon, etc. Prices from $45 up to 220 euros. I understand the level of 1541 emulation/support for fastloaders is a consideration here but I'd just looking something cost effective rather than spending a few hundred euros on something which adds network capability, 4 players, mp3 playing, etc.

I'm interested in anyones experiences with any of the above or alternatives. For the spectrum is the DivIDE plus worth twice the cost of the DivIDE or is there an alternative? For the C64, is there something decent or do I need to start looking at 1541-III ultimates?

Ideally looking something that comes pre-built, I don't seem to have much luck with kits.

I don't think you'll find many people who can help -- they're all PCE and Saturn fanboys around these parts

Still, I'm a Speccy fan and even though I can't help you with your query I can use this thread to tell everyone about a new Speccy emu that has just been released for Symbian S60 phones. It works like an absolute charm on my Nokia N97 with the d-pad emulating a Kempston joystick and full QWERTY support. Finally I can play Questprobe's Spiderman on the loo!!

Anyway, to anyone interested in it, you can download it here although you'll need to register for the forum to actually download it:

Comment

Hello, I'm a BIG PCEngine/Saturn fanboy and i've still got my C64, which I prize just as much. (also had a Spectrum 48k with loadsa games, but I recently moved and somethings had to go )

Anyway, like yourself I looked at all the various gadgets available at the time for the C64 and settled on the MMC64. (no 1541 III then)
      Mainly because of the built in SID player - download HVSC and play on the real thing .
      I already downloaded Commodore Fullset / C64 GameBase and many many demo collections for PC emus. Which I copied to 2 x 4gig SD card (very cheap) and that's it.
      The setup is pretty straight forward regarding plugins - just download the ones you require and place in a selfmade dir SYSTEM64 on your storage medium. Something I've not bothered too much with (it does what I want now).
      The only down side is multi-file games - ie Summer Games 2 / Impossible Mission 2 and multi-load demos do NOT work with the MMC64 (*), but I've still my 1541 floppy drives mk1+2 for those.

I've had no problems with the MMC64 or running any of the games or demos from it.
      So far as the 1541ultimate/II etc it's a bit hard to find out (even on their home page) what the cart/s actually do??
      Can it play multi-file games?
      Built in sid player?
      Storage Limits? (micro SD??)
      They just seem to have gone overboard on the tech-specs, instead of keeping it simple.

(*)There is a work around -see here: (mines the green one)

Hope this helps a bit - gamerade.

Comment

Quite like the Saturn myself, never got into the PCE but suppose still time for that.

Played with emulators in the past and been checking out the updates recently, they work quite well on a netbook but you just can't beat the real thing. Especially in the case of the Spectrum, I find it takes me a minute to remember which combination of shift, symbol shift and key produces any command.

I was looking at the MMC64 or SD2IEC originally but seems the resellers that sell the MMC64 no longer sell them and offer MMC Replay instead. The MMC Replay is the same thing but built into a freezer cartridge, seems useful but the price is doubled to around 80 euros. Sadly they also seem to be permenantly out of stock with one of the two resellers replacing them with the Chameleon which costs 220 euros. Not only does it have the features of the MMC Replay but it contains an implementation of the c64 on a chip inside the cartridge. Sure that's useful for someone but not me.

Noticed the UK retailer of Divide+ for the Spectrum recently got a new batch. Since that doesn't seem to happen often I ordered one (just waiting confirmation). Cost more than I was originally hoping to spend but should keep me busy. If it arrives, I'll try to do a write up sometime in the future.

Going to put the c64 idea on the back burner, all the main options D2CN, MMC Replay, 1541 Ultimate are expensive due to features I don't really want to pay for. The SD2IEC seems to be a possibility and only costs $45 but the online store is unclear whether it comes with daughter board (only available separately as a kit) and how to power the device.

Comment

Working...
        X