Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

buying famicom help!

Hi all

I have tried searching this forum in regards to getting a JAP famicom to work on a PAL tv. My CRT tv does support 60HZ.
    Most times, I hear that you have to Mod the console to view on screen or buy the top loader version. Will sticking a RF cable from lets say either a PAL megadrive or master system work?
    I have come across some JAP yahoo auctions where the famicom has already been modded and looks like it has got the yellow,red and white cables sticking out from the back:

will this work back in the UK?

Would this still be a problem if I were to buy the Sharp twin-famicom? as that has the yellow and white inputs at the back?

The only reason why I am after the famicom is cause it looks soo awesome

The original-model Famicom won't work on a PAL TV at all. The RF frequency it uses is unsupported on TVs outside Japan.

Fortunately you can use an AV-modded machine just fine or, for superior picture quality, get the Famicom AV or a Fami Twin. The Fami AV can be powered with a UK NES power supply which is quite handy.

Comment

Thanks for the reply. What voltage does the separate famicom disk system use? Can it use the famicom 100v adapter?

Comment

The FDS adaptor is 100v too but you can't safely use a Famicom adaptor as it is too strong for the machine's voltage regulator (18VA vs 9VA). Machines nearly always come with the adaptor anyway, but if not you can actually use AA batteries to power it, though this makes the machine slightly less reliable.

Just a word of warning if you're interested in a disc system - they were quite unreliable even back in the day, buy nowadays it's rare to come across a machine that works properly unless it's been refurbished or in the hands of an enthusiast. The drive belts were too thin and made of cheap rubber that perished easily, so you're almost guarunteed to end up needing to replacing them at some point. This involves a lot of trial-and-error calibration and is an utter ballsache. Be sure to ask the seller if it works first!

I recommend checking the Workshop section over at www.famicomworld.com as it has lots of useful technical info.

Comment

Thanks for the info mattyd
          Any advise where I can pick up the black twin famicom? prices on ebay suggest it goes over ?100 with a repair belt fix. However, japangamestock.com have it cheap but postage to the UK in total brings it up back to ?170. thats just eye watering o_0
          what are the real prices for a loose twin famicom anyway?

Comment

That black machine on Japangamestock is expensive because it's the least common variant. Blacks are less common than reds, and the black model with green/blue trim (AN-505-bk) is the rarest of all. It has unique built-in turbo fire controllers, making it highly sought-after by collectors.

I paid about £60-70 for my red Twin but I buy most of my stuff privately. I sometime use Rising Stuff and eBay. My main eBay sellers are Susi Sumo, Variety Recycle Nippon, The Ninja's Castle and Jump To Japan. There are also a couple of people here who live in Japan and will buy stuff in the shops or from Yahoo Japan auctions and send it to you for a small fee. You'll get a machine far cheaper that way. It doesn't help that the Yen is riding high at the moment though

If you're interested in starting a serious Fami collection I recommend watching the first season of Famicom Dojo, which will get you up to speed on the basics:

Last edited by MattyD; 18-12-2009, 11:47.

Comment

Working...
            X