House of Dead 1 on Dreamcast

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

House of Dead 1 on Dreamcast

Hi, is it true that House of Dead 1 comes (maybe as an unlockable extra) with HOTD2 (Japanese version) on the Dreamcast? I had always believed this to be the case but i wanted to check. I heard they couldn't include it in the West because it would of had to be localised, which would have meant spending extra money.

Thank you for any help

No, theres tons of unlockables e.g costumes but HoTD1 isn't one of them.

Comment

your only option for the first game is the questionable Saturn version (mid level loading ftl), a cabinet or emulation (model 2 emulation is pretty good now I believe).

Comment

Originally posted by abigsmurf View Post
        your only option for the first game is the questionable Saturn version (mid level loading ftl), a cabinet or emulation (model 2 emulation is pretty good now I believe).
        There was a pc version too.

Comment

The Saturn version isn't as bad as many seem to make it out. The mid level loading is only a few seconds and takes place at appropriate times. It does look awful mind you but plays like a dream. Basically it's like Daytona on the Saturn. looks like **** but plays like the arcade.

yakumo

Comment

Yeah it was quite a fun game (I had it) but the loading was fairly jarring.

Comment

Anyone know why it wasn't released as part of the Wii HOTD compilation? I've always though 'HOTD 2&3' was a bit of an odd combo - 'HOTD Trilogy' would have sounded much better...

Comment

because House of the Dead 2 was a DC port which we know the Game Cube had a few of and the Wii is basically a Game Cube supped up. So that was an easy port. I guess The House of the Dead 3 was an XBOX port which again would have been an easy port. House of the Dead one never got a arcade perfect port so they would have had to build that from scratch since if the rumors are true, the original arcade source code no longer exists. Apparently Sega never used to keep their source code.

Yakumo

Comment

Cheers, that makes sense. Although it's alarming about the source code - It's not like it takes up shelf space, like the old Dr Who reels that the BBC dumped. Maybe at the time they viewed what they were doing as something ephemeral, with no long-term value - who knows?

Comment

Originally posted by Yakumo View Post
                    The Saturn version isn't as bad as many seem to make it out. The mid level loading is only a few seconds and takes place at appropriate times. It does look awful mind you but plays like a dream. Basically it's like Daytona on the Saturn. looks like **** but plays like the arcade.

yakumo
                    Agreed!, though it would have been nice of the game used the 4 Meg cart to eliminate loading completely .
                    Still I was happy the gameplay was ported perfectly , the graphics were bearably, and the Chip generation music and effects , simply some of the most Impressive, to ever have come off the Saturn sound chip imo

Comment

HOTD1 on the Saturn was one of my favourite games for the machine. I remember buying it with a gun and having a great time. It impressed all my non-Saturn owning mates.

Comment

House of the Dead 1 was intended to be included in the Dramcast version of HOTD2, however Bernie Stolar stopped it. You can speculate for any number of reasons why. What is left is the models for the first level and some characters from 1 that did not have an equivillent in 2. Lke the fat guys with the chain saws. These can be seen in the intro movie and are actual 3D models not FMV.
                        To be honest it was probably more effort to put in the game than the return it would have got Sega and at that time they really needed to get the games out on sale. I've looked through the files on the HOTD2 disc and there is nothing specific relating to the first game being included, bar the stuff in the intro.

Comment

Originally posted by Fastware View Post
                          House of the Dead 1 was intended to be included in the Dramcast version of HOTD2, however Bernie Stolar stopped it.
                          that guy is a prick and basically did nothing but pass off pathetic ideas of what people wanted. He know NOTHING!. Isn't it his fault we never got a Saturn or DC Streets of Rage ? Anyway, as big of a prick as he is I doubt he is the reason for no Dreamcast HOTD. The House of the Dead 1 real time intro is also included in the Naomi arcade original that he had no say over what so ever. The DC game is basically just a port of that with a DC mode added on.

Yakumo

Comment

Thank you for all the info. i did think i read somewhere it was included in HOTD2 (Jap version) but not in the West because of localisation issues. I think now i was probably getting confused with another game. Thanks for all the info. My local arcade still has HOTD1 but i have to be honest, i do prefer Time Crisis to HOTD games. I do particualrly like HOTD2 though. I do remember the first time i ever saw HOTD 1 in an arcade (in Blackpool, UK) and it seemed amazing!

Comment

For me, the original House of the Dead is the best simply because it is in a house. Never really got in to part 2 that much but I did like 3 and 4. The Wii House of the Dead Over Kill is fantastic for some bad ass Zombie blasting. A big jump from the traditional series but still F*ing fantastic if you're in to the B movie style of things. I'd buy it is a flash if they made a 360 port.

Yakumo

Comment

Working...
                              X