Atari Jaguar

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Atari Jaguar

After reading the feature in Retro gamer, I've recently getting into a bit of Jag Syndicate on emulation. Anyway, I've been toying with the ideas of picking a system up off ebay but would like to get some advice first. Firstly, which version is best and will work in Japan, European or US? Now, I know that there was a Japanese release but these were in so low numbers i think it will prove far more economical to import.

Also, what other games do people recommened? I also saw the nintendo nerd's skit on it and i realise that the units are unpredictable but are their any significant CD games that will make tracking down the CD add-on worth while?

Tempest. You won't bother with anything else once you have it.

Comment

Tempest 2000 is all I own/play on mine. And it's worth owning the system for. I must recommend the excellent Chaos Reins Rotary Controller too (available at the Goatstore). If you're a Tempest fan is gets no better.

Beyond that there are other highly regarded games (like Protector - a Defender clone) but silly money starts to come into it.

For me, the Jag is simply my Tempest machine, that's all I need from it.

Comment

Terrible system.

Comment

Originally posted by ikobo_1 View Post
          Tempest. You won't bother with anything else once you have it.
          That's because there's nothing else worth bothering with. Terrible, terrible system. If you want to see a few of the games in action have a nosey at my YT channel:

Comment

Originally posted by Lorfarius View Post
            That's because there's nothing else worth bothering with. Terrible, terrible system. If you want to see a few of the games in action have a nosey at my YT channel:

http://www.youtube.com/user/Lorfarius

WHAT???? Are you dissing Trevor McFur in crescent galaxy?????

(Joking, of course!)

He's right though, it's a one hit wonder. I did play doom a lot on it when it came out, but it's hardly something that still stands up today. Iron soldier looked all right, but i never played it, and i always really fancied AVP.

Comment

Cheers guys, I know the machine isn't the greatest but Im looking at it more from a historical view. Btw, can anyone confirm if a pal unit would work here in japan or should I look for a Us version and also, are the systems region locked?

Comment

Who can forget the timeless classic "White Men Can't Jump" with a bundled team tap?

Comment

Cinemassacre creates reviews and comedy shows about video games and movies, including: the Angry Video Game Nerd, Monster Madness, You Know What's BS, Movie Reviews, and more!

Comment

Tempest 2000 is reason enough to own at least 1 jag in your life time.

The game is mesmerising, and trance-like the way you can drop into a winning streak, but infuriating how you can't repeat such a feat at will.

Love the system for T2K. Have a mint boxed Defender 2K that I've not played yet…

Comment

Tempest 2000 is undoubtedly brilliant and the perfect game to play after a night out clubbing/raving, indeed I preferred it to Rez or Wipeout in that respect. Probably Minter's best work.

Comment

There's always Flashback, Doom and Syndicate, although they're obviously available on other systems. Battlesphere if you're feeling flush or need to spend those pesky lottery winnings.

Are those Chaosreigns rotary controllers usually out of stock at the Goatstore?

Comment

Iron Soldier was good fun at the time - that and Gungriffon are probably my two favorite Giant Stompy Robot games - but I suspect it hasn't aged well at all.

Comment

Originally posted by Decider-VT View Post
                            Are those Chaosreigns rotary controllers usually out of stock at the Goatstore?
                            Actually, they're not even listed on the site any more. Maybe they've stopped making them.

Comment

Originally posted by Baseley09 View Post
                              Terrible system.
                              Yes. One of those gaming formats completely without redemption. Just emulate Tempest 2000 and save your cash, tokyochojin. Seriously, I'd feel like i was ripping someone off if I sold 'em a working Atari Jag for 79 pence.

Comment

Working...
                              X