NTSC RF Signal On Pal TV

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Lyris View Post
    Not at all, if it's not giving a proper image.
    If his RF channel selection thingy is displaying the title 'NTSC' ... then it indicates that RF can possibly accept NTSC.

I have no idea if NTSC over RF is common on modern tvs, because I haven't tried it. I only know that is was very unusual back in the 90s.

satori can give it a shot, because I say there's a chance, but unless someone else has tried it with the same tv, he can't be sure it'll work. The risk is his to take.

Comment

If his RF channel selection thingy is displaying the title 'NTSC' ... then it indicates that RF can possibly accept NTSC.
      No, not necessarily. It indicates that the TV can detect the presence of an NTSC or NTSC-like signal and report back on it - it doesn't guarantee that you'll get visible video.

With that said, I'm not 100% sure of the situation since the original post is a little hard to read (don't mean to be pedantic, but time is short )

Comment

Almost no TVs in Europe support NTSC over the RF input
        Are they really that uncommon??

My Toshiba tv is a pretty old 42" rear projection jobby but it accepts any signal through any of the inputs including the RF socket, however i cant get the video & sound to come through the same channel when i try running a ntsc console via rf, i can either tune in the the picture but no sound or get static & clear sound, it looks like the 2 parts are on different frequencies.

Comment

Originally posted by importaku View Post

My Toshiba tv is a pretty old 42" rear projection jobby but it accepts any signal through any of the inputs including the RF socket, however i cant get the video & sound to come through the same channel when i try running a ntsc console via rf, i can either tune in the the picture but no sound or get static & clear sound, it looks like the 2 parts are on different frequencies.
          Well that really sucks. I'm guessing that's what would happen if I tried it then?

Comment

No, not necessarily. It indicates that the TV can detect the presence of an NTSC or NTSC-like signal and report back on it - it doesn't guarantee that you'll get visible video.

With that said, I'm not 100% sure of the situation since the original post is a little hard to read (don't mean to be pedantic, but time is short )
            I've always said "possibly" - so let's forget about it. Satori has two options: play safe, or take a risk.

Comment

Originally posted by importaku View Post

What you described is what usually happens
              Tuners are the last part of TVs (next to power supplies) that are usually so territory-specific.

When you think about it from a penny pinching point of view, it makes sense. UK customers might have NTSC equipment to plug in over AV inputs, but they have no way of receiving an NTSC broadcast TV signal, so the only point of making the tuner NTSC compatible would be either for people wanting to play old games consoles (unlikely the manufacturers are aware) or to have one design for the entire world (which would cost extra and take extra time).

Most Sony TVs in the UK (as late as 2006; it may still even be the case) can only tune to PAL-I, not even the other PAL variants as used in continental Europe. If that even saves them 1p on each TV, it's a lot of money due to the number they produce.

Comment

It's possible the TV is confusing the real NTSC signal with "modified" NTSC at 4.43MHz (aka PAL60).
                NTSC 4.43 was originally implemented to allow compatible TV's to display NTSC Video recordings in colour (over RF).

Comment

So I basically know now that it probably won't work through RF so I have 3 options:

1: Go through the hassle of importing a famicom AV from japan

2: Learn to solder and modify the original famicom with AV cables (Anyone have instructions of how to do this and a list of things I need?)

3: See if there is such thing as an NTSC to PAL RF converter

Still, RF MIGHT work but i'll give it a try but only if I can get instructions for the AV mod first (Just to be on the safe side)

Comment

I know that this is a bump AND a double post at the same time but still: If i got my PAL snes 60hz modified (60hz is american standard tv image) and used it through RF and it worked, would that mean that the NTSC RF signal would work?

Comment

No, not necessarily.

If you got a PAL SNES 60hz modified and it worked through RF, it would probably be outputting PAL-60. It depends on how the modification works, maybe someone else can advise there.

If the PAL-60 image appeared in colour via RF, with an NTSC signal, you would most likely get a stable image, but in black and white.

Comment

Working...
                      X