• Show
Clear All

Treasure Interview 1994

Going through my old gaming mag's and found this interview

6 people to make Gunstar Heroes!!!!

Comment

It only took 8 staff to make RSG , and 2 of those were for the sound

Comment

That's even more mental. Especially when you consider it takes about 1000 people to make a game these days, judging by the last few end credits i've seen.

Comment

That's a cracking interview, and makes me want to go home and play Gunstar Heroes again RIGHT NOW.

Comment

I think theres a good argument for Treasure being the greatest developer ever. They've somehow managed to keep the company going for 18 years producing a smattering of consistently brilliant games.

Comment

Originally posted by Super Monkey Balls View Post
              I think theres a good argument for Treasure being the greatest developer ever. They've somehow managed to keep the company going for 18 years producing a smattering of consistently brilliant games.
              You answered the "somehow" in the last 3 words

Comment

Treasure are on of those companies that I want to like, but I never enjoy their games as much as I want to

Comment

Originally posted by Skull Commander View Post
                  Treasure are on of those companies that I want to like, but I never enjoy their games as much as I want to
                  Supposedly, they made CastlevaniaIV, ContraSpirits and Axelay for the SuperFamicom. If that is completely true, then they are the best games the dev has ever made.

I'm always impressed, on a technical level, with their MD games, but there is something about them that prevents me from loving them. I really like Gunstar Heroes, but would choose ContraSpirits over it any day.

I went back to Guardian Heroes on the Saturn, and I didn't like it much. It seemed good back in '96, but it didn't set my world on fire. There is something irritating about it. I know it's a different type of game, but I feel that Gunstar is a much nicer game in every way. Gunstar is a game I really like playing compared to Guardian, which is a game I'm not bothered about.

That interview is really interesting. Thanks, TA.

Masato is right about the 68000, it's a great cpu. Just look at the Amiga, MD, and arcade machines that used it: it gave devs a lot of power and scope.

I think people are bit hard on the SNES, because if you look at its best games, a lot are action type of games, and they play well. Yes, you often get a bit of slowdown, but devs learnt to limit that as much as possible. The truth is that the SNES CPU is pretty weak, but at least the machine has strong points.

With my love of classic retro 8/16-bit stuff, stronger than ever, I find myself playing nearly as many MD games as SNES. My gaming life is now dominated by mostly 2D games for MD, SNES, Neo Geo, PC Engine and Arcade. Modern gaming, even at its best, just doesn't deserve my time. Yes.. there are some good modern games, but none feel magical. I wish there were lots of great modern games, but that's not the case. I will keep my focus on retro thrills.
                  Last edited by Leon Retro; 11-08-2010, 08:31.

Comment

well looking at wikipedia they have done more games then i thought http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Treasure_%28company%29

wish guardian heroes came out on live..would live to try the six player

Comment

Light Crusader & Guardian Heroes are the ones for me.

Silpheed on PS2 was cool, and Castlevania IV great, apart from that I can leave them. Great technical ability though.

Comment

If they were behind Contra Spirits and Castlevania IV then they go up in my estimation. I also enjoyed Gradius on the PS2, and always forget they were behind it.

Comment

Originally posted by Team Andromeda View Post
                          Going through my old gaming mag's and found this interview

What mag is this from TA?

Comment

Gamefan.

Comment

Originally posted by Skull Commander View Post
                              If they were behind Contra Spirits and Castlevania IV then they go up in my estimation. I also enjoyed Gradius on the PS2, and always forget they were behind it.
                              Yeah, GradiusV is really good. I've bought all their games over the years. Mischief Makers is pretty good, and I thought Freak Out! was a strange, funny game on the PS2.

If I'm comparing Treasure's output to a lot of devs over the years, then they are an awesome dev, but not one I can say I love with all my heart. If they had continued to make Castlevania, Contra, and Axelay games, then I would probably worship them as Gods.

I'm really glad they've stayed around over the years - as I genuinely get excited when they announce new games they are working on. I need to buy the new Sin & Punishment on the Wii; I've got the original on my N64 and like it.

Originally posted by Baseley09 View Post
                              Gamefan.
                              I loved that mag back in the day. My mate introduced me to EGM, and then I heard all this talk about Gamefan being an amazing mag - and when I bought it.. I wasn't disappointed. How I wish games mags were like that these days. I read EDGE - and always think "Why is this so cold and boring?" ... Then nostalgic memories of magazines that made me feel good... flood my mind. Retro Gamer is the only mag I buy now - as it's got a lot of charm and actually puts a smile on my face.

The good old days of gaming were golden. The gaming scene these days is mostly overcast, with a few sunny spells now and then.
                              Last edited by Leon Retro; 15-08-2010, 14:26.

Comment

Working...
                              X