No announcement yet.

Retro Favourites Lists: RPGs?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You have to go somewhere get an item, take it back to a certain place, and so on. Then you have all the chatting to NPCs and grinding away to boost stats etc.
    That's been the case in a awful lot of Platform games and Games like Resident Evil or the likes of Metroid (bar the grinding)

Ocarina always comes #1 or highly placed in their retro charts, or best games ever made charts. RPGs that are big names( FF7, Ocarina of Time) always get hysterical praise from the magazine
    Didn't it get a 10 in EDGE too. Never understood why so many rave about Zelda OOT. Most of the puzzles made no sense and that turned me off the game completely . I also feel Okami is way overrated too, found both games to be quite poor myself.

Comment

Originally posted by noobish hat View Post
      I don't think you could say you like most genres if you won't play ANYTHING that requires patience. RPGs are nowhere near to being the only genre that don't have constant action. And I REALLY would not class Zelda as an RPG. There is a hell of a lot of action in Zelda games, only the puzzles require patience, and if you're going to discount any game with puzzles, that's a **** tonne of games you're not going to like, and certainly not limited to RPGs. In fact, I have no idea why you've singled out RPGs. FFVII and Ocarina of Time (not an RPG) are always at the top spot in Best Ever lists because they are better games than most of the ones you like. You'd have a point if the whole top ten was made up of RPGs, but usually there's just one - FFVII.
      I like most genres of games, but arcade style titles are my favourite. As much as some people will say Zelda isn't an rpg, it's still an adventure game that requires the player to chat with NPCs, explore environments, and solve puzzles.
      I would like an action only Zelda, because the Zelda universe does appeal to me on an aesthetic level. If I was forced to play a rpg/adventure game, I'd choose one of the Zelda games, though, as I have played them a bit.. and I know they are quality.

I think I've come across as a RPG basher, but it's more a case of just wanting to know if anyone else doesn't enjoy adventuring and all the gameplay elements that come with that style of game. I think there must be other people who only enjoy action/arcade types of games.
      I'd be interested to see a Top 10 list that doesn't contain RPGs or adventure style games in general. I haven't seen anyone post a list, or Youtube video, where only arcadey style games make the grade.

My whole point is, my Top 50 games of all time, wouldn't contain any RPGs, any Adventure games, no Resident Evil's, no Metal Gear etc... Am I really a rare breed? ... There must be people who share my dislike of laborious gameplay demands.

Originally posted by Team Andromeda View Post
      That's been the case in a awful lot of Platform games and Games like Resident Evil or the likes of Metroid (bar the grinding)

Didn't it get a 10 in EDGE too. Never understood why so many rave about Zelda OOT. Most of the puzzles made no sense and that turned me off the game completely . I also feel Okami is way overrated too, found both games to be quite poor myself.
      I can't stand the Resident Evil series. Zombies Revenge or House of The Dead are the type of Zombie horror games I enjoy.

Castlevania was great before it turned into Metroidvania. I'm not slating Metroid, as I know it does what it does well, but I don't like the style of gameplay it offers. I'd like a pure action Metroid, though, as I think it's a great franchise when it comes to graphics and music.

Yeah, OOT received a '10' in EDGE. I played it a bit back in the day, but it didn't grab me. I've always been someone who's attempted to enjoy rpgs/adventures, and I've played DungeonMaster, Eye of the Beholder, Secret of Mana, etc.. etc.. but I always lose interest and realise I can't really stand talking to NPCs, collecting items, and going on quests, solving puzzles etc... I just want to play Contra, Castlevania( classic gameplay style ) Mario, Sonic, or anything else that offers pure, direct gameplay.

When it comes to racing games, I can't stand Forza because of the whole customisation side of things. That isn't demanded, but is really a big part of the game. I think Outrun2 is a breath of fresh air in comparison, because you have a range of Ferraris, and you just choose their colour and transmission and away you go. Everything about Outrun2 is more fun imo. It's by far the most instantly gratifying racing experience available. Plus you can race through it and have a great time in 15 minutes.

This thread may be seen as a rant against RPGs, but it's not. I have never said the genre is bad, but I have expressed how I don't understand it's huge popularity, seeing that the genre does demand a lot of patience, something that you wouldn't expect a big percentage of gamers to have. Tetris was hugely popular with even non-gamers, because it's easy to understand and offers nothing but gameplay.

With Castlevania being more like Metroidvania over the past 14 years, because of it's move from pure action, to adventuring; Resident Evil being a hugely succesful series; Metal Gear always getting praise; Final Fantasy consistently selling millions, and so on... it is clear that lots of people must love games that demand a lot of patience.

It seems like I've never come to terms with the fact that the 32-bit era changed gaming forever. Where once gamers and journos were happy to praise relatively simple games, because they offered hypnotic gameplay and instant thrills, things changed with the 32-bit era, to the point where journos and gamers started to expect and demand complex stories, cut-scenes, NPCs to interact with, convoluted puzzles etc.. in games that would have been far more action, gameplay based during the 8/16-bit eras.

Tech has given devs room to make games more complex, but that's been a bad thing in many ways from my point of view. My love for simple, yet incredibly playable engrossing games, is stronger than ever.

Gunblade NY & LA Machineguns is on it's way to me. I can't way to play it.
      Last edited by Leon Retro; 31-08-2010, 15:37.

Comment

Well, I already said this, but I do loathe RPGs as such. However, I can't say the same of adventure games because really that's my favourite genre. Whether it be point 'n' clicks or action adventure games. I do certainly prefer them to be short, however.

I certainly enjoy the occasional arcade-style game, but I've never been drawn into the 'one more go' aspect and don't really enjoy chasing high scores. The only exception for me was probably Crazy Taxi.

Unfortunately console games are becoming more and more alike as the tectonic plates of game types are colliding into one big genre land mass. So, with some exceptions, it is becoming harder to avoid styles of play you don't enjoy. Just look at Dead Space, which needlessly contains weapon leveling.
        Last edited by egparadigm; 31-08-2010, 15:48.

Comment

Originally posted by Leon Ahoy! View Post

I think I've come across as a RPG basher,

This thread may be seen as a rant against RPGs,
          I don't think so at all. You have put across some very valid points rather than just dismiss the genre.
          Personally I enjoy the genre myself. I enjoy customising characters, finding or building cool weapons and exploring areas. That isn't to say I want it all of the time. In between playing 1 longer style game I always have several arcade style game on the go. It is great for when I fancy a blast on something without thinking about it too much.

I have just started Digital Devil Saga 2, around 10 months after doing the original and remember why I enjoy it so much. I feel totally absorbed in the game world which is something I don't with arcade style games. That isn't to say they aren't involving, after all a 6 min race on Burnout 3 requires total concentration but its not the same.

That isn't to say an RPG means instant immersion, some games achieve this and some can't.
          Grandia for one on the PS1 was awesome, great script, mechanics and a vibrant world which the developers could not replicate in the follow ups. Grandia 2 and 3 were absolutely awful.
          Final Fantasy VII is another, it is a classic and I still really enjoy it. Many are clambering for a remake yet I would simply love it touched up and the script rewritten so it makes more sense.

Comment

To be honest I think you answered you own question in your first post and despite being a massive fun of RPG's I've met more people who dislike them then like them.

Comment

Leon, I think you ought to check out Breath Of Fire 3 - contains quality old-skool late 80s-style Capcom sprite artwork plus it's a fairly simple RPG (compared to FF7, say), tied together with a simple, affecting plot, I absolutely loved it, one of my fave retro-style RPGs of all.

Failing that, Sword Of Vermilion on MD, an ultra-simple arcade RPG with great music and a compellingly basic plot, I've been replaying it again on 360 Sega Megadrive Ultimate Collection, first time I've played it since 1992, it's dated as f*ck but I'm massively enjoying it.

I tend to be pretty Marmite about RPGs, though if I play for a certain length of time, will ALWAYS be hooked. What mainly puts me of is the length of time they seem to take, yet that is often seen as a great thing by many RPG fanatics(!)

(I have an ABSOLUTE ****LOAD of quality PS1/PS2/XB1/GC/360/Wii RPGs in my 'gaming backlog' pile, btw, it scares the hell out of me!)

Comment

Originally posted by nakamura View Post
                I don't think so at all. You have put across some very valid points rather than just dismiss the genre.
                Personally I enjoy the genre myself. I enjoy customising characters, finding or building cool weapons and exploring areas. That isn't to say I want it all of the time. In between playing 1 longer style game I always have several arcade style game on the go. It is great for when I fancy a blast on something without thinking about it too much.

I have just started Digital Devil Saga 2, around 10 months after doing the original and remember why I enjoy it so much. I feel totally absorbed in the game world which is something I don't with arcade style games. That isn't to say they aren't involving, after all a 6 min race on Burnout 3 requires total concentration but its not the same.

That isn't to say an RPG means instant immersion, some games achieve this and some can't.
                Grandia for one on the PS1 was awesome, great script, mechanics and a vibrant world which the developers could not replicate in the follow ups. Grandia 2 and 3 were absolutely awful.
                Final Fantasy VII is another, it is a classic and I still really enjoy it. Many are clambering for a remake yet I would simply love it touched up and the script rewritten so it makes more sense.
                Thanks for not dismissing this thread as a rant. I think there is no real point to this thread, but it's still food for thought. I started it, simply because I felt like it.. after seeing so many Top 20 lists made up of RPGs and Adventure games. It surprises me that so many people love RPGs.
                I have always understood the allure of adventure, but I've never liked the mechanics and overall gameplay of RPGs/Adventures. I always find them boring, because I admit to having little patience for what those genres typically demand of the player.

I like Gauntlet, it has a nice D&D style to it. There is an AD&D game on the 3DO, which I really like, called Slayer, but that is in many ways Doom in a D&D game world.

As someone who really only likes the arcade style of gaming, with quick in ya face thrills, I will never like RPGs - simple as that.

The RPG genre did seem to become more popular in the west after FinalFantasy7. I also read that it was the 'most returned' game of all time. Maybe that is true, but I would think it could be. The best RPGs/Adventures do receive an overwhelmingly huge amount of praise from journos and gamers. People do take notice. I think a lot of them, like me, like the idea of the games, rather than actual gameplay experience, and therefore do feel underwhelmed when they play them. I'm sure a lot of people just get bored, , so they go back to less demanding titles.

When I say "demanding" .. I mean the games demand certain things from the player: the patience to read lots of text, listen to NPCs, complete tasks, solve puzzles etc... I think that a lot of gamers don't expect such a big demand for patience from the player.

Of course, all those things are seen as plus points by some people, but on the whole.. I think lots of gamers like games that offer instant, non-stop gameplay. Arcade gaming was a big thing once, though, so maybe times have changed and people genuinely want more convoluted game experiences?

Originally posted by JazzFunk View Post
                Leon, I think you ought to check out Breath Of Fire 3 - contains quality old-skool late 80s-style Capcom sprite artwork plus it's a fairly simple RPG (compared to FF7, say), tied together with a simple, affecting plot, I absolutely loved it, one of my fave retro-style RPGs of all.

Failing that, Sword Of Vermilion on MD, an ultra-simple arcade RPG with great music and a compellingly basic plot, I've been replaying it again on 360 Sega Megadrive Ultimate Collection, first time I've played it since 1992, it's dated as f*ck but I'm massively enjoying it.

I tend to be pretty Marmite about RPGs, though if I play for a certain length of time, will ALWAYS be hooked. What mainly puts me of is the length of time they seem to take, yet that is often seen as a great thing by many RPG fanatics(!)

(I have an ABSOLUTE ****LOAD of quality PS1/PS2/XB1/GC/360/Wii RPGs in my 'gaming backlog' pile, btw, it scares the hell out of me!)
                I've seen, and I think I've played BreathofFire2, which is nice, and I think I'd like it more than the more hardcore RPG/Adventure titles. When it comes to playing something like that though.. I always decide to play something that will truly grip me - say a shooter, racer, or platformer.

I would say I'm up for playing hack-'n-slash type games. Guardian Heroes is of that ilk , but in horizontal 2D. Baldurs Gate on the PS2/Xbox looks like a fun game - from what I've seen of it.

I have no RPGs/Adventures in my collection. I did buy my brother Fable a few years back, though.
                Last edited by Leon Retro; 02-09-2010, 14:59.

Comment

Originally posted by Leon Ahoy! View Post
                  I've seen, and I think I've played BreathofFire2, which is nice, and I think I'd like it more than the more hardcore RPG/Adventure titles. When it comes to playing something like that though.. I always decide to play something that will truly grip me - say a shooter, racer, or platformer.
                  Breath of Fire I & II are as "hardcore/old skool" as you can get really. Total grind fests and insanely difficult all the way through. Both of them are borderline painful at times. The GBA versions were altered to be made easier, massively increased exp etc.
                  Last edited by Rep; 02-09-2010, 15:05.

Comment

I've always struggled with the idea that Zelda is an RPG as it's always been too action adventure orientated, especially as they've become more modern. In the more traditional realms of the genre there are some great examples knocking about but I feel an awful lot of drivel gets praised over due to a bit of snobbish attitude. One thorn in my side has always been Final Fantasy VII which I've always felt many praised due to it being a technological advancement and/or their first traditional RPG. I reckon FFVI, FFVIII and FFX are all superior titles and that's just in its own franchise

Comment

Originally posted by Rep View Post
                      Breath of Fire I & II are as "hardcore/old skool" as you can get really. Total grind fests and insanely difficult all the way through. Both of them are borderline painful at times. The GBA versions were altered to be made easier, massively increased exp etc.
                      I will definitely give them a miss, though.. I didn't intend to give them a chance anyway. JazzFunk said that BOF3 is more my thing, though, so I'll look that up.

Originally posted by crazytaxinext View Post
                      I've always struggled with the idea that Zelda is an RPG as it's always been too action adventure orientated, especially as they've become more modern. In the more traditional realms of the genre there are some great examples knocking about but I feel an awful lot of drivel gets praised over due to a bit of snobbish attitude. One thorn in my side has always been Final Fantasy VII which I've always felt many praised due to it being a technological advancement and/or their first traditional RPG. I reckon FFVI, FFVIII and FFX are all superior titles and that's just in its own franchise
                      Yeah, Zelda is quite an open, action type of adventure series, but it still has puzzles and talking to people etc... It's definitely a series that gets my attention, because all the games are enticing, but ultimately.. they bore me. I just don't have any patience. Maybe I need therapy? ... How do you take an arcade maniac - and make him enjoy RPG/Adventure games? ... I don't think it's possible. Well not in my case.

I'd like a new version of Gauntlet. That's pure arcade style, but with a nice D&D styling to it. I like the whole Heroes vs Evil Minions scenario.

Comment

I think Zelda always came under the Famitsu A-RPG (action) category which is probably where it started and then sort of stuck for mags like SP and N64. Of course, it's not. It's just an action adventure game.

As for Japanese RPGs, in the early '90s they were fresh and new (to me) and I loved the design and the way the stories mixed up the magic and technology angle. The peak for me was FFVI and Chrono Trigger (funnily I never really got into Mother/Earthbound). I played through FFVII, didn't particulary enjoy it and decided that was probably it for me. Now I find the J-RPG tedious and unplayable and will probably never touch one again.
                        Last edited by Wil; 02-09-2010, 21:31.

Comment

I would say Zelda is an RPG. Like most genres there are different takes but it is part of that family. After all you play as a character with the idea to level up to challenge the final boss of a huge story based world. There has to be variation in a genre otherwise we would have millions of sub-generes. For instance Wipeout and Gran Turismo are both racing games but couldn't be more different.

I wouldn't say J-RPGs became tedious but I can understand why people would tire of them after many years. After the boom of FFVII we definately saw a lot more getting translated for the west and as a result a lot of lower quality games coming over.

I had a break from RPGs for around 3 years which worked out to be a good thing for me. I have since gotten back into the and am slowly playing through my collection. I also have spent a lot of more time playing more action based titles than I used too and I love them too.

Comment

Leon Ahoy im just curious but are you a movie lover? If so do you have the same taste for movies as in you can only watch the ones with lots of action over more story themed slow paced films?

As far as the thread goes you may be in a minority but i know your not alone in your opinion of RPG'S as i had a friend who had the same feelings towards them as you as in he just couldn't be bothered with all the menu's, statistics and dialogue and just wanted to play more action orientated games like a Power Stone, Gauntlet Legends or Zombie Revenge.

Comment

Originally posted by Sam The Man View Post
                              Leon Ahoy im just curious but are you a movie lover? If so do you have the same taste for movies as in you can only watch the ones with lots of action over more story themed slow paced films?

As far as the thread goes you may be in a minority but i know your not alone in your opinion of RPG'S as i had a friend who had the same feelings towards them as you as in he just couldn't be bothered with all the menu's, statistics and dialogue and just wanted to play more action orientated games like a Power Stone, Gauntlet Legends or Zombie Revenge.
                              I see a big distinction between games and films, and I don't like the differences to be blurred. Films are a passive medium; Games are an interactive medium. I love all sorts of films, not just action. In fact.. I like deep films that make you think. What I don't like about film-like games, is the whole story aspect being the focus, with lots of cut-scenes and dialogue. I play games because I want to play - to have an adrenaline rush. I have no patience for the more passive types of games that demand the patience to read, to listen, to solve puzzles and to do intricate quests etc..

When magazines like EDGE go on about games having better dialogue, better scripts, I get annoyed.. because I like games to be abstract and surreal.. not set in real life. I want fantasy, hyper reality game worlds to enjoy. Of course.. some people like the more realistic, down to earth, film-like experiences, but they're not for me. I find them dull, tedious, and usually.. boring and tiresome.

I have, or have had friends who have even less patience than me. They couldn't tolerate a RPG/Adventure for a moment. They like the more accessible, direct games such as Mario Kart, Football games, racers, and arcade style stuff in general. That's not to say they don't like a challenge. No.. they enjoy learning to be better at any given game, and to push themselves when it comes to skill. I think a lot of people think games like Outrun2 are simplistic, but try beating someone who has really embraced the game and played it a lot; some people are amazingly good at it.

Of course there are very simple, poor arcade style games, but the best offer lots of gameplay scope and mechanics to be mastered. The whole arcade side of gaming has been given a bad name over the past ten years by some journos and gamers, who are usually the types to say that the likes of Final Fantasy XIII, Heavy Rain, Metal Gear 4 etc.. are much more highbrow and simply better.

I think the public do listen to this sort of talk, and it has had a major negative impact on arcade style gaming. People are constantly told that something like Heavy Rain is the future of gaming, because it's so intricate and film-like. People then read people moaning that an arcade game is simple in comparison, despite it being immensely fun, and decide it's not worth buying.
                              Of course, we get quite a lot of arcade style games on XBLA and PSN, but I'd much rather have them on discs. The massmarket aren't prepared to pay £30 for the likes of Outrun2, Afterburner Climax, though.

I always wonder how many gamers buy the likes of Heavy Rain and Metal Gear 4, because of the hype they receive, only to feel let down. I don't think they are the types of games that offer instant fun and non-stop thrills. They demand a lot of patience. I'm sure that lots of gamers are like me when it comes to having low boredom thresholds. I just think that lots of them are sort of brainwashed, or feel compelled to buy games that are hyped, without trying a lot of games that are really fun, but receive lower scores because they lack content.

I remember when Outrun2 came out on the Xbox, and only a few people played it online. Then a year later, when the game was being sold for a few quid, some people gave it a chance, and many of them told me they were surprised how great it is - and how they wish they had bought it earlier. The reason they didn't buy it, was because lots of journos slated it for being too simple and not worth the cash. Of course, the journos were comparing the game to games with more content. Lots of people just want fun with their games, and nothing too taxing. If only more journos realised that.

Comment

Working...
                              X