N64 Time - Duke Nukem 64

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

RARGH! TUROK SMASH!

Level 4 – Lair of the Blind Ones is an absolute son of a b****. I played all the way through it last night, which must have been at least a couple of hours, only to reach the end of level gate having completed none of the objectives. Thankfully there are fewer monsters on the second play of each level, so I'm back at the start of the level.

Because I had not seen hide nor tail of any different routes, I decided to use a guide to find the objectives. Another 2 hours and I've found all the objectives and keys, but am losing lives at an incredible rate. I start with something like nine and I die on this level, 2 hours in – back to square one again. At this point I am just about ready to throw my computer and N64 across the room, but I decide I must finish this hellish level tonight.

Actually, once I know where the bits I'm looking for it only takes maybe half an hour to reach the same point I was at when I died. I have now finished this level, but do not look forward to revisiting it to find the Primagen key. All in all it took 4.5 hours or so. Ridiculous.

If anyone is going to attempt this level, all I can advise is to look very carefully around for little switches on the walls and peg ladders. Also, do not be surprised if in the

water maze

there are two pair of rooms – one with warp portals and one with platforms/peg ladders that are IDENTICAL.

Also, by some strange witchery, the latter third of the level sort of wraps around itself in all sorts of directions, connected by suspended walkways, such that it is actually possible to skip huge chunks of it without even realising. If you know exactly how it's all laid out it can be a blessing, if you don't, expect to fail the mission.

I just hope my two lives that I have left are enough to get me through the last part of this game. It's a shame that this level is so confusing, because despite its superficial resemblance to level three, it is actually far more interesting.

I'm actually somewhat surprised that I've got through all of Turok 1 and 2/3rds of Turok 2 and this is the first level to defeat me.

Comment

Not entirely sure how you're getting anywhere in Turok without cheats. I hope Turok 2 has a similar cheat menu to the original or I'm going to have a very tough time with it.

I've actually run dry on games (in a sense). I've been let down by a lazy son of a B ebayer, and the last game I wanted to play this month, Wonder Project J2, hasn't arrived yet. I don't really want to move ahead before finishing that game, especially since I can't see it ever being mentioned in the mag again.

With that in mind, I decided to go back and finish off Mario Kart 64 by getting gold in the mirror cup. Again, a little bit of a let down from Nintendo in that there is no extra bonus for completing the mirror cup, but I already knew about that from the magazine. Reminds me of back in the day, when I totally rinsed Super Circuit, beating all the lap records and everything, because I read somewhere it unlocked Waluigi. What a crock. I don't even like Waluigi anyway.

Comment

I hate you lot. There I've said it! (only kidding!!)

So... I've taken out my N64's and decided everything needed to be NTSC and Mint, so I'm trying to shift all my loose stuff (most of which I only got last year!!) and have had a mad spending spree on ebay and brought a ton of must own/good and interesting NTSC-U titles!

Look forward to getting to them once ive finished my 30 odd game GBA spree!

Comment

All I can say is, with you and Pat rampaging around the place hoovering up the US games, I'm glad I'm only interested in PAL and Jap stuff!

Comment

lol! I've spent about £300 today on N64 games - but they are all minty fresh!

Comment

If you are looking for US stuff in minty condition, I'm very pleased with the condition of this. Great packaging and exactly as described. He has loads of stuff in his "complete" section.

Comment

Originally posted by charlesr View Post
                If you are looking for US stuff in minty condition, I'm very pleased with the condition of this. Great packaging and exactly as described. He has loads of stuff in his "complete" section.
                lol. I brought a ton of stuff from that guy today!

I also picked up Kirby on the N64 Japan version for £8 which I thought was good value as its probably not text heavy anyway.

Comment

Kirby 64 isn't anything heavy.

Comment

Originally posted by Shozuki View Post
                    lol! I've spent about ?300 today on N64 games - but they are all minty fresh!
                    LOL wtf, what on earth did you buy?

Comment

Originally posted by importaku View Post
                      LOL wtf, what on earth did you buy?
                      well.... (deep breath)

Castlevania 64
                      Castlevania 64: Legacy of Darkness
                      Doom 64
                      Killer Instinct Gold
                      Mischief Makers
                      Banjo Kazooie
                      Banjo Tooie
                      Yoshi's Story
                      Donkey Kong 64
                      Blast Corps
                      Perfect Dark (Sealed)
                      Paper Mario 64
                      Kirby 64 (NTSC-J)
                      Mario Golf
                      Mario Tennis
                      Jet Force Gemini
                      Zelda: Majora's Mask
                      Super Smash Bros

All mint, boxed US NTSC versions bar 1.

Comment

Did someone on here have a stash of Bio-Sensors?

Comment

This thread is great and has inspired me to dig my N64 out, in the past two days I've been briefly playing through some of my games and I've had a blast! I'd forgot how good some of the games were.

The joystick on my pad seems off and very slack, speed running on a few Goldeneye levels isn't as easy as it once was.

Comment

I've also just picked up an rgb modded 64 from these very forums and am thoroughly enjoying playing through some of the classics. I won't be able to do it in chronological order though, so I'll chip just chip in occasionally.

I've been playing through the goldeneye campaign for the first time. Really amazing game. I played it multiplayer heaps back in the day, but I'm surprised the it holds up so well today even without friends around to play it with.

Comment

Well the good news is I have my copy of Wonder Project. The bad news is I don't have a reliable memory card. After spending about an hour on the game, I have come back to find the memory is wiped. And having opened all my controller paks, they ALL have the battery soldered in, like GBC cartridges. Pain in the DICK! Then I remembered there is an official, and barely used controller pak in my copy of Animal Forest. Thing is, Wonder Project is telling me the card only has 2 pages left on it. How can you check the contents of a card without putting in the game those saves are for? And can you delete those saves without the game? Why isn't there an N64 dashboard like there was on the Playstation? This is doing my head in!

EDIT: NEVERMIND! I just looked it up online, and you can often access a primitive Controller Pak menu by holding start whilst turning on the N64. Apparently there are 2 Doubutsu no Mori saves on the card, but I don't think they're mine. As far as I can recall Animal Forest only uses the Controller Pak for moving towns or something, the rest is stored on the cart.
                              Last edited by noobish hat; 22-09-2010, 11:11.

Comment

What memory cards do you have that wipe themselves? I know from hard won experience that memory paks on the N64 are a complete pain. I originally bought a Ghost memory pak from my local Woolies. The major design floor with that was the enormous, external reset button. One clumsy finger and you could wave goodbye to all your hard work.

I then got a NextGen 1 Meg memory pak. And this, too, went tits up on a couple of occasions. I prayed that it wouldn't wipe before I finished Shadow Man. Luckily it did – just. It has also reset in the last couple of days while I was using it as a backup for Turok 2.

Thankfully, I got an official one when I bought my HK N64 t'other year and that has yet (touch wood) to let me down. One annoyance is that its capacity is tiny – it can take a single Turok 2 save; also, for some reason you're only allowed one save game on Turok 2, regardless of the size of the card.

Comment

Working...
                                X