No announcement yet.

N64 Time - Duke Nukem 64

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I like that in the PS1 version of Quake 2 you can use the mouse in one hand and the controller for movement in the other. I'm not aware of any other FPSs on the PS1 or Saturn that used the mouse. I don't think it was possible to port a mouse-based FPS to a console with only one analogue stick.

Glad you're enjoying the thread, Wools!

Comment

It is a great thread Sorrel. I always look forward to your new posts, especially as I have recently purchased one myself, same with Wools!

I had a look at Quake 2 on PS1 today, might pick it up. Looks a fantastic port and 90's fps games are keeping me really entertained.

Comment

Originally posted by noobish hat View Post
        I like that in the PS1 version of Quake 2 you can use the mouse in one hand and the controller for movement in the other. I'm not aware of any other FPSs on the PS1 or Saturn that used the mouse. I don't think it was possible to port a mouse-based FPS to a console with only one analogue stick.

Glad you're enjoying the thread, Wools!
        God, I remember playing Quake 2 like that on the PlayStation. Felt kinda goofy because I was using the pad flat on my leg and the mouse on my leg too.

Wouldn't recommend it as an optimal gaming experience.

Comment

I Love that you have spent a lot of time on the details for these write ups. It's almost like I've played them myself by the time you've finished.

Comment

In Duke Nukem 64, can you use the 'Turok' controls? (3D stick for looking around, C-buttons for movement?)

Comment

I think so, but then you'd need the d pad for jumping and crouching and switching through items. There's a lot of platforming and climbing and crawling through vents and stuff, so that would be even more inconvenient.

Comment

I can't ever remember having a problem with the controls in Duke 64. more than likely I've just blocked the memory of them. Back when it first came out me and my mates loved the multiplayer split screen. Explosive shotgun shells were a right laugh.

Comment

I didn't have anybody to play deathmatches with. I was even more disappointed not to be able to try out the co-op campaign though. That would have made the whole thing more enjoyable.

Comment

This thread needs to live on!

The EU Diddy Kong Racing was released 2 weeks after DN64. Considering DKR was a solid seller and arguably better than MK64 it's suprising it wasn't turned into a regular series.

Comment

Well considering the quality of Rare's later output, maybe we were spared? I wouldn't want DKR to share the same fate as Perfect Dark. There's always Banjo Pilot to try out though, which I've just bought, actually.

Comment

I thought all their N64 games were top quality. I was thinking about it due to the recent MK8 release, DKR was a huge seller and although Donkey Kong Racing was planned nothing ever happenned... It got a range of review scores but I remember the N64 mag loved it. I think they criticised the characters for being too cute though.

Comment

I didn't like most Rare games tbh. GoldenEye was amazing. Perfect Dark very good. Diddy was OK.
                          The platform games sucked.

Comment

Jet Force Gemini!!! Seems to be one of Rares more forgotten gems...

Comment

Not a huge fan of that either. They just seem to suffer from weak structure and too many collectibles.

Comment

I always loved Diddy Kong Racing. After the disappointing MK64 it was a nice treat as it seemed to come out of nowhere. The courses and gameplay were great and i loved the structure of the island and multiplayer was as fun as Goldeneye.

Comment

Working...
                                X