Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Best way to clean...

...a cart.

I've just got Super Mario Kart from the 'bay, and it's about 6 out of 10 all round. The 'kart' however, is a bit gross. Ideally i'd like to clean it up, but not sure how. I recently dismantled a SNES controller and cleaned the circuit board with a Maplin PCB cleaner aerosol, and soaked the plastics in steriliser.

Now, I understand that I can't drop a cart in the steriliser to soak as it'll ruin the stickers front and rear. What would you recommend to clean the plastics to a nice hygenic standard?

Also, i'm not really sure what a good PCB looks like in a cart, does mine look ok in the pictures? I'm planning on cleaning the contacts that are exposed once the cart is re-assembled, and i'm guessing PCB stuff is ok to use? (I'm sure it is, but just thought i'd check).

And, just two more: my console has been dispatched so should be here soon. I'm performing the same cleaning technique on that too, but wondered if there is a good way to clean the slot with the contacts in which the cart slips into?

And (def, final Q I promise!), I want to be a bit ott and change the LED for a blue one. Could anybody point me to the right LED, or tell me which one I need please? It's the only mod i've got planned, but it'll match the external HD's it's going to be sitting next to you see...

Anyway: cart pics, and your advice please

Dan
    Last edited by Danorak; 06-10-2010, 18:22. Reason: Poor spelling all round...lol.

"Hygenic standard", wow you sound like Howard Hughes.

For cleaning plastic on a cart or console I'd just use white spirits and a rag or q-tip, you can even use it on the label as long you don't soak it.

You can also take the innards out of the snes console and stick the shell in a dishwasher.

You can do the same for the cart contacts using a q-tip. I'd say there's no reason to clean a working pcb, if it aint broken dont fix it.
    Last edited by moonwhistle; 06-10-2010, 18:57.

Comment

Isopropyl alcohol and some cotton balls and buds (for nooks and crannies) should suffice unless the plastic itself is discoloured. Console Passion have a little guide here. Isopropyl itself can be bought quite cheaply on Amazon. Not sure if I'd poke around a PCB unless it was really necessary though. Yours looks fine.

Comment

Q-Tip? The bloke from A Tribe Called Quest?

Comment

If you do put a snes case through a dishwasher make sure it's on the lowest temperature setting!

I've now got a Salvador Dali style snes because I made this mistake.

Comment

I've heard you can clean the pin connectors inside the SNES by wrapping a credit card in a rag/hanky/suitable cloth, slightly dampened with alcohol and insert/removing it a few times over.

Of course, the cartridge shell may need something a bit more heavy-duty to remove stains etc. A magic eraser is good for the impossible to remove marker stains but make sure to use it sparingly, as it can remove the finish and texture from the cartridge.

If you're going to wash the console shell, make sure you remove the cartridge flap and the spring that attaches to it. I almost forgot to do it to my console.

Have fun with the SNES, great system

Comment

Cheers for the responses guys

I'm def. not going to put the case through the dishwasher because I don't have one! I've got a bigger container so i'll just use the same method I used for the joypad. Hot (tap) water with a steriliser tablet. I'll make sure I remove the flap and spring though.

I don't think i'll bother cleaning the PCB up. I have got new CR2 batteries to put in the carts so I figured while it was open I'd give it a clean, but I won't bother. I will clean the contacts up though, just been on Amazon and bought some Isopropyl, and i'll give the contacts inside the machine a clean too.

Thanks for the link to console Passion too: Mario Kart has a big Woolworths sticker on the box so i'll have a go at removing that too.

So, just one further question: anybody know which LED I should look for to change on the console? I just need to know what size it is (i'm going to guess 5mm), and if it needs a resistor of anysort etc?

Cheers again people!

Comment

The connectors on that Mario Kart look gross, as Decider-VT said Isopropyl is the best way to clean stuff but if you don't have any then the quick way to clean connectors without taking the cartridge apart is to just rub a plain cottton bud up and down them very gentle if the cart isn't clean the bud will go black very quickly.

You can also use clean them with an eraser, but it needs to be pure white clean and I would suggest use a soft Hi-Polymer one. You'll also have to unscrew the cart in main cases as well to clean them this way.

For the outside of a cart I use kitchen cleaning like Mr Muscle as it doesn't smell like white spirit and doesn't leave any trace on it either. I only get out white spirit for the really tough stains and stickers.

Stickers can be a pain in the arse to remove, some you can just peel off, others you need to apply heat to via an iron or hair dryer to remove and some need to be disolved via white spirit to prevent damage. In some cases a sticker is hiding damage as well.

Welcome to the fourm by the way.
                Last edited by S3M; 10-10-2010, 13:23.

Comment

Any LED will be fine but may be a bit bright. All regular LEDs work at approx. the same voltage. It is really only the high powered ones that you should be careful with.
                  So a 3mm or 5mm - similar to this - http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?...rderCode=JA24B

Comment

Cheers for the info. I'll get one and try it out-if I think it's too bright I'll pop the old one back in...

I've got some Isopropyl now, I've got my cotton buds, new solder too. So, tonight it's battery replacement, cart and contact clean!

Comment

If it is too bright just put a peice of semi-transparent tape over it.

Comment

Working...
                      X