Famicom, Disk System and AV output

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Famicom, Disk System and AV output

I'm set to buy a Famicom and a Disk System plus some games for the next year, but I have some doubts on which Famicom version should I aim for.

The original FC only has RF output, so I though about a Japanese AV Famicom, however after some browsing I found out that the Japanese AV Famicom delivers a worse video signal than a decently modded standard FC as the latter has a poorer shielding.

The Famicom Titler is out of question (cost, size, Disk System compatibility) and the other available solution is a Twin Famicom.

What would you guys recommend?

I'd personally go for a twin, they're lovely little systems, very stylish.

Comment

Originally posted by briareos_kerensky View Post

The original FC only has RF output, so I though about a Japanese AV Famicom, however after some browsing I found out that the Japanese AV Famicom delivers a worse video signal than a decently modded standard FC as the latter has a poorer shielding.
      You sure you're not getting mixed up with the US 2nd ver NES there? The AV Famicom has good quality composite video.

Comment

Originally posted by mezzanine View Post
        You sure you're not getting mixed up with the US 2nd ver NES there? The AV Famicom has good quality composite video.
        Might be, but people talking always wrote AV Famicom and not NES top-loader or something similar.

Originally posted by ikobo
        I'd personally go for a twin, they're lovely little systems, very stylish.
        Yeah, and they also are the easier solution to the problem, but I'd prefer a FC+FDS combo.

Comment

So If I was to purchase a Fami, I would choose the Twin.

Comment

If you wanted Disk system games. I'm gonna get a titler personally. Can't live without RGB.

Comment

Originally posted by speedlolita View Post
              If you wanted Disk system games. I'm gonna get a titler personally. Can't live without RGB.
              I was thinking of getting a Titler a few years back but in the end I wasn't that convinced Famicom/NES games benefit from RGB that much, the colours look washed out and I've heard certain games can glitch.

There was a guy who did the mod to his NES using a Playchoice 10 over on the Famicom World forums, it looks sharper but I prefer the vibrant colours of composite tbh.

Back on topic though i'd go for the original Famicom AV modded given the choice, I just think ithe design is more iconic than the rest, looks great paired up with the Disk System as well.

Comment

The biggest problem I have with the Titler is its size (...) and then its looks; a red/black Twin is nice, but like Phar wrote the FD+FDS combo has an unique charm.
                I'm leaning toward a modded FC more than before, does anyone know a good place to get things done? I have no experience with a solder and I know I will screw things up.

Comment

Looks pretty easy when looking at this: http://jpx72.detailne.sk/modd_files/fc/avmod.htm

If you really can't find anyone else to do it then I'd volunteer.

Also, I think the titler is sexy, lol.

I wonder if the composite is decent, like the composite I got from my PC Engine interface unit.

That composite almost looked as good as RGB.. Was surprised.

Comment

Only the AV Fami has non hardwired controllers btw and it's easier to find in near new condition. All versions of the Famicom have short controller cables, it was enough of a problem that I bought two extension cables for mine.

Comment

I'm gonna use some DIN connectors (for the pads) when I get a Famicom - might have to settle for composite over XRGB-2+ for a little bit. Titler aren't cheap after all.
                      Last edited by speedlolita; 29-01-2011, 21:27.

Comment

I wonder if the composite is decent, like the composite I got from my PC Engine interface unit.

That composite almost looked as good as RGB.. Was surprised.
                        I bought my AV modded Famicom & Disk System from a seller on Yahoo Auction's and the quality of the composite output is really good. Pic of Joy Mecha Fight, it loses a bit of quality with it being taken from my iphone camera but it still looks pretty sharp for composite output.

Comment

Yeah that looks pretty decent..

Hmm, shame Famicom aren't readily available cheaply. haa

Comment

Working...
                          X