Playing import N64 games on a Pal console

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Playing import N64 games on a Pal console

Do you need to have your N64 modded to RGB if you're playing import games on a Pal console? My memory is incredibly hazy (I had import games that run via a cartridge back in the day, but can't remember if my old machine was modded). My new machine is US, so I can't check.

You can't even RGB mod PAL consoles, cept a certain French model.

So no.

Comment

Nope. Just a passport adaptor thingy. Modding a Pal console to RGB is a dark art.

Comment

If you are doing an N64 feature, be sure to remind everyone to sell their PAL N64s and get a US model.

Comment

At the very least JP. lol

Comment

Same thing innit. And remove tabs for playing both.

Comment

Yeah, I heard it's harder to get a good RGB signal from a US one for some reason. You're quite right though, removed mine with a hacksaw the other day.

Comment

How do you remove the tabs so you can use US games on a Japanes N64?

Comment

Originally posted by speedlolita View Post
                  You can't even RGB mod PAL consoles, cept a certain French model.

So no.
                  bah, just said in the mag you can't mod Pal. Will have to change that now. Boo.

Comment

Well, you remove the piece of plastic from the cartridge slot on the top half of the plastic shell and you're done.

mmmonkey's example uses an American N64 - but the same can be done for the JP one no problem.

EDIT: I've always wondered - if you were to say use a passport 3 on a PAL N64 - would it display NTSC games at 60hz?

Comment

Originally posted by charlesr View Post
                      If you are doing an N64 feature, be sure to remind everyone to sell their PAL N64s and get a US model.
                      Well the feature ties in with RetroCollect so it has a certain pal bent (including a checklist of all the available pal games). It does include lots of Japanese exclusive peripherals and must have import games as well. Cauterise and Mayhem have put a lot of work into it and the end result is a great springboard for anyone who is considering collecting for the machine.

The only thing we're currently umming and ahhing about is a price guide, as including one seems a little pointless as it will outdate rather quickly.

Comment

The trufax on PAL console RGB modding are thus: there is an early French model which included the NUS chip found in US/Jap machines, which have the lines for RGB. In fact only the grey NTSC consoles tend to be compatible (I think). Any console *can* be modded if an appropriate chip can be sourced. Charles had one of those jobs done, hence the "dark arts" comment.

Comment

Ahhh, I wondered what that chip was for. I guess I don't really need one unless I wanted a later console for clear plastic or whatnot.

So, can you use this chip on ANY PAL N64, or just that French one?

Comment

Originally posted by Wools View Post
                            How do you remove the tabs so you can use US games on a Japanes N64?
                            It's the easiest mod ever. Even I did it.

Comment

As monomaniacpat said

Only certain Japanese and USA N64 can be modded for RGB Output so be careful with what you write.

Comment

Working...
                              X