Psychic Detective on PS1 has weird copy protection

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Psychic Detective on PS1 has weird copy protection

I did a search and only found a single topic on Snesorama, where the guy got himself banned for flaming when asking this question.

But basically I'm trying to emulate Psychic Detective on PS1 (NTSC-U version) and it doesn't work. it gets to the title screen then cuts to a screen with red on black and the following message (or something like this):

DEAD END ALERT: U R N0T 3L!T3 3NUF 2 P13RAT D!Z CD
    PSYCHIC BURN OUT: FEEDDEAD C0EDBABE

Anyone know how to circumvent this? Do I need to patch it? Googling the message brings up nothing, but apparently some games do require an antimod patcher.

I need help!
    Last edited by Sketcz; 13-07-2011, 15:10.

I'm suprised that Psychic Detective of all games features this kind of anti-piracy. It was a preety ****ty game, all i remember of it is was the crappy softcore sexytimes.

Comment

Some places after googling say it could have been the uploader - which would be a pissant on snesorama if true. If that's the case, then I am not happy. Why do such a thing?

Comment

That error message definately looks like some idiot trying to be clever. Nothing to do with copy protection. They've just uploaded a hacked image..

Comment

No, it's a legit (ha) anti piracy message. The redump verified CD1 does the same thing with ePSXe. It works with xebra (at least for the few minutes I've tested).
          Last edited by mezzanine; 13-07-2011, 18:59.

Comment

Buy the original?

Comment

Originally posted by ikobo View Post
              Buy the original?
              I bought the original for like a fiver back in 1998 or so but sold it (before it became super expensive and crazy rare). Now I want to emulate it to take screens for a big HG101 article.

There aren't even any for the PS1 on eBay right now, and I don't feel like spending ?30 on the 3DO version when my PC doesn't run Freedeo very well (I have a 3DO, but I want emulated screens for the article).

I also want to video capture the skateboarding section (better than gameboy! says the main character) and put it on Youtube.

Originally posted by mezzanine View Post
              No, it's a legit (ha) anti piracy message. The redump verified CD1 does the same thing with ePSXe. It works with xebra (at least for the few minutes I've tested).
              Thanks for the confirmation. I may try that emulator then. Was hoping to emulate on my Xbox for that "in front of the TV" feeling, but ahh well, for the sake of journalism I may have to rough it in front of my PC.
              Last edited by Sketcz; 14-07-2011, 07:13.

Comment

Originally posted by Sketcz View Post
                There aren't even any for the PS1 on eBay right now, and I don't feel like spending ?30 on the 3DO version when my PC doesn't run Freedeo very well (I have a 3DO, but I want emulated screens for the article).
                There's four of them on ebay.

Comment

Originally posted by Rep View Post
                  There's four of them on ebay.
                  In the USA that is.

I'd searched only the UK eBay previously. Besides which, I've no confirmation that popping an original disc into a PC emulator will avoid this problem. If I can't take emulated screens it's useless to me.

Additionally, not for $50! The $21 copy is just within my acceptance range though.

I may put this whole on hold tbh, unless you can patch the game easily.

Comment

wow its a guru meditation error

Comment

Originally posted by Sketcz View Post
                      In the USA that is.

Besides which, I've no confirmation that popping an original disc into a PC emulator will avoid this problem. If I can't take emulated screens it's useless to me.

Anything that matches the info on that database will be about as close to a 1:1 copy as you can get.

I checked it again and an original disc or even a copy does work with ePSXe. You can get it to work on the PC by burning the disc or mounting it on a virtual drive like daemon tools. It's loading the bin/cue file directly that's causing the problem with ePSXe.

Comment

Originally posted by mezzanine View Post
                        I checked it again and an original disc or even a copy does work with ePSXe. You can get it to work on the PC by burning the disc or mounting it on a virtual drive like daemon tools. It's loading the bin/cue file directly that's causing the problem with ePSXe.
                        Thanks for the clear up. That's brilliant Mezzanine.

Looks like it's playing in front of a PC for me then - still, at least it will work.

Comment

Originally posted by MattyHustedUk View Post
                          wow its a guru meditation error
                          Surprised nobody else has noticed!

That's a play on the Amiga error screen you get when software fails to load:

Last edited by Cauterize; 14-07-2011, 13:58.

Comment

Originally posted by Cauterize View Post
                            Surprised nobody else has noticed!

That's a play on the Amiga error screen you get when software fails to load:

Only the A500 said guru meditation that pictures from a later amiga model. Steam also has a joke guru meditation error message when it goes wrong.

Comment

Wow, I didn't know it was worth anything, I have it in my basement

Comment

Working...
                              X