Super Famicom Buying Advice?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Super Famicom Buying Advice?

Well obviously, my quest to play Yoshi's Island has lead to me just finally giving in and accepting I'm going to have to buy a SNES. PAL ones seem to be cheap and plentiful enough but apparently PAL is rubbish? And Japanese Boxart is so much nicer so I'm just going to spluge the cash on a Super Famicom and the Japanese Marios (they're not really dialogue/text heavy so I shouldn't have a problem with them?)

However SNES games on Wii VC look brilliant through component (even though the Wii seems to stop outputting 480p once you launch a VC game?), so what do I need cable-wise to get a SFC looking like VC on a modern 40" LCD TV?

EDIT: Ideally, (excluding games) I don't want to spend more than ?100 on a SFC console + AV cable setup so that probably rules out those upscaling box things?

Also are there any issues I should be aware of with old console/cartidges? Like I read that game saves run off a battery? Will those all be dead now? Is it just a AAA that pops in like a children's toy or is it an unscrewing/soldering thing?
    Last edited by Pikate; 12-04-2012, 13:45.

You'd be better off just buying a little Sony 14" CRT to play it on through RGB scart, you'll never see SNES/SFC games looking better. Might cost you a fiver or so from ebay etc. I know you've got a stylish little flat from the photos you've posted, but they're dinky little sets and can easily be tucked away, I have one myself.

Comment

The console supports RGB, so as long as you have a good cable, and your TV displays analogue RGB well, you should be fine. It would be temptingly better to buy a US SNES instead, and cut the tabs out of the cartridge slot, so you can play both US and Japanese games on it fine; they both use the same lockout chip, but the cart designs are different, which was the only thing preventing you from interchanging. Unless, as said, cut out the tabs inside the slot.

It would also mean you were better set up to purchase other SNES titles that are more text heavy, so you can get and use the US versions without issue. Games such as the two Final Fantasy titles and Chrono Trigger. It's not that PAL is rubbish per se, but a lot of SNES titles were not optimised for Europe, hence it led to those horrible black borders and slower speeds.
      Lie with passion and be forever damned...

Comment

PAL model with 60hz switch mod running through RGB on a 14" flat screen Trinitron is the best combo. That's what I had before moving out here.

Comment

Originally posted by Mayhem View Post
          The console supports RGB, so as long as you have a good cable, and your TV displays analogue RGB well, you should be fine. It would be temptingly better to buy a US SNES instead, and cut the tabs out of the cartridge slot, so you can play both US and Japanese games on it fine; they both use the same lockout chip, but the cart designs are different, which was the only thing preventing you from interchanging. Unless, as said, cut out the tabs inside the slot.
          Sorry, AV is like my weakest category geekology wise so I'm probably going to sound a bit thick here... Looking at eBay the SFC AV cable has the same Yellow/Red/White outs my Wii originally with came with? If I take off the Wii component cable and run a SNES VC game using the Y/R/W cable is that what an actual SFC will look like?

I'm confused because A) Nintendo say VC games aren't enhanced ports but they look spectacular on my TV so are the "horror stories" I've read about retro consoles vs. big LCDs just people being really anal? and B) Before I got my Wii someone gave me an Official Component Cable for it but I didn't realise to get "480p" you have to switch the Wii resolution. Then someone on here pointed that out and when I changed that setting on the Wii instead of my TV saying "Component" in the bar accross the top when I change channel it said "Component" with a "480p" box underneath. When I launch a VC game the TV switches resolution and the bar accross the top saying "Component" loses the "480p" box. So does that mean what I see for VC is exactly what I'd see from a SFC?

As for the US console thing, to be honest I'm opting for the Jap console more because it's a prettier machine and the games have much better boxart. I really like VC, it has Chrono Trigger and Final Fantasies etc and they look great. Plus I have a Super Famicom Classic Controller for Wii so it's relatively authentic... I just REALLY want to play SMW2 which isn't on VC, and also I'm kind of a magpie for shiny/pretty things and having just 8 Wii games and a Gamecube game in my Games cabinet is tragic. I'd like to have a load of Japanese Boxed SNES games for my VC faves. Also the US SNES is ugly and boxy compared to the PAL/Jap one, no?
          Last edited by Pikate; 12-04-2012, 14:32.

Comment

Sounds like you've already made up your mind but, like Mayhem says, a US SNES is a wiser purchase because (when the tabs are removed) it has the advantage of playing both JP and US games. I don't really understand the philosophy of putting form (the prettiness of an object) before function if I'm honest but, still, to each their own.

Games on a SNES/SFC through RGB on a CRT television will look much cleaner than their virtual console cousins on the Wii through component on an HDTV.

Comment

Originally posted by Pikate View Post
              Sorry, AV is like my weakest category geekology wise so I'm probably going to sound a bit thick here... Looking at eBay the SFC AV cable has the same Yellow/Red/White outs my Wii originally with came with? If I take off the Wii component cable and run a SNES VC game using the Y/R/W cable is that what an actual SFC will look like?
              Ish. If you're using the PAL VC you're also getting your content in crappy, squished 50Hz. Your SFC will be full-screen, full-speed but yes, the SNES isn't the stunner over composite that some consoles are.

I'm confused because A) Nintendo say VC games aren't enhanced ports but they look spectacular on my TV so are the "horror stories" I've read about retro consoles vs. big LCDs just people being really anal?
              More like "we've tasted better", as opposed to just anal. Once you go RGB on a CRT you'll wonder how you ever put up with composite or stretched stuff on an LCD. CRT tech does a great job of hiding graphical imperfections and provides a vibrant, flattering picture.

and B) Before I got my Wii someone gave me an Official Component Cable for it but I didn't realise to get "480p" you have to switch the Wii resolution. Then someone on here pointed that out and when I changed that setting on the Wii instead of my TV saying "Component" in the bar accross the top when I change channel it said "Component" with a "480p" box underneath. When I launch a VC game the TV switches resolution and the bar accross the top saying "Component" loses the "480p" box. So does that mean what I see for VC is exactly what I'd see from a SFC?
              Don't know if the Wii upscales VC content to progressive scan off the top of my head. Someone else can step in here.

As for the US console thing, to be honest I'm opting for the Jap console more because it's a prettier machine and the games have much better boxart. I really like VC, it has Chrono Trigger and Final Fantasies etc and they look great. Plus I have a Super Famicom Classic Controller for Wii so it's relatively authentic... I just REALLY want to play SMW2 which isn't on VC, and also I'm kind of a magpie for shiny/pretty things and having just 8 Wii games and a Gamecube game in my Games cabinet is tragic. I'd like to have a load of Japanese Boxed SNES games for my VC faves. Also the US SNES is ugly and boxy compared to the PAL/Jap one, no?
              It's as ugly as sin but essential if you want English language stuff like RPGs. I'd recommend a bridge adapter for your SFC so you can play US carts too, without taking a saw to the shell. Just make sure that whatever you get has a full cart pinout for SFX and DSP-enabled games.
              Last edited by Decider-VT; 12-04-2012, 15:21.

Comment

What about a SNES 2? It looks near enough identical to the Super Fami Jr which is quite a nice looking console. I'm still torn between the design of the Jr and the original, but whatever, it's a hell of a lot better looking than an original US system.

Although the cheapest route would be a SFami with a pin-extender, as Decider suggested, or just putting up with an American brick.

You could also try one of the cheap GBS-88xx series CGA-VGA scalers from eBay. That'll cost you about 20 quid. You could always add an SLG3000 later on for scanlines.

Comment

Originally posted by dataDave View Post
                  PAL model with 60hz switch mod running through RGB on a 14" flat screen Trinitron is the best combo. That's what I had before moving out here.

Comment

Originally posted by _SD_ View Post
                    What about a SNES 2? It looks near enough identical to the Super Fami Jr which is quite a nice looking console.
                    I like the looks of these too, not ever had one though. I'm 99% sure it needs modding to get RGB out of it.

Pete

Comment

Yeah Super Famicom Jr would need to be modded for RGB but agree it's a tidy looking machine.

Comment

I prefer the original breeze block to the Jr. I actually prefer it over the Jp/Eu shape.

Comment

Originally posted by Atticus View Post
                          I prefer the original breeze block to the Jr. I actually prefer it over the Jp/Eu shape.
                          That's not the first time I've heard someone say that on this forum, even though I have to whole-heartedly disagree.

I guess it's like how some guys prefer the larger lady

Comment

Working...
                          X